Type 1 and cholesterol

july

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i have been type 1 since jan 07 and was put in simvastitim in July 2012 (I so wish I looked into them more before taking them) but I thought my diabetic consultant new best so I've been taking them up until 4 weeks ago when the muscle in my legs and my joints in the ankles, knees, back and jaw started to ache. So I seen a diabetic nurse and she said to stop taking them as I've also been having headaches 4-5 times a week for about a year, but got quite severe recently.
The headaches have stop but my muscles and joints still really hurt. Has anyone else had this problem and do the joints and muscle every go back to normal.
At the moment I struggle to walk when I first get up but then once walking it's ok.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
july, when I was searching for information on heart disease, I came across so many people asking the same questions you, so I thought I'd have a look around to see if anyone had anything helpful to say about this problem...

What happens when you stop taking the drug?

Based on studies of actual muscle biopsies, muscles do not uniformly recover on their own. They need help. First and foremost, they need more coenzyme-Q10. Taking CoQ10 as a supplement will help reverse statin-induced mitochondrial damage. It also helps regulate normal cellular respiration.

But as I’ve said before, buyer beware.

Look for a CoQ10 supplement that says Ubiquinol on the bottle. Your body absorbs this chemically reduced form much more easily. If the bottle says “Coenzyme Q10” or “CoQ10,” it’s probably Ubiquinone–the less well-absorbed chemical form. I recommend taking 200 mg of Ubiquinol daily with a meal as part of a statin recovery plan. (For everyone else, I recommend just 50 mg a day.)

Also, strive to eat an apple every day. Or drink apple cider. Apples contain mevalonic acid. And CoQ10 is a byproduct of mevalonic acid. So, by boosting your mevalonic acid, you’ll naturally get more CoQ10 into your system, as well as other benefits.

You can also do a lot of good by taking a high-quality B complex vitamin.
B vitamins can help reverse statin-induced neuropathy.

If you’ve been on a statin drug recently, you should also make sure to take some extra vitamin D. Statins deplete your levels of this critical nutrient. And a daily dose of 1,000 to 2,000 IU is safe for everyone.

Finally, after 12 years of research, I am convinced that South African red bush–like CoQ10–has a profound effect on supporting cellular respiration. It will help your body generate energy and water for proper hydration at the cellular level. And it should be part of any statin recovery plan.

In addition to these hydration benefits, new research shows that red bush directly benefits muscle tissue itself.
This helps explain the plant’s amazing results when it comes to physical performance.

I personally helped develop a powdered red bush beverage called Red Joe. You can find it on this website.

Source:

1. “Statin adverse effects: a review of the literature and evidence for a mitochondrial mechanism,”
Am J Cardiovasc Drugs 2008;8(6):373-418

The entire article can be read here... http://www.drmicozzi.com/the-science-of-statin-recovery

Here's what cardiologist Stephen Sinatra, MD has to say...

How to Turn Back the Side Effects of Statins
1. Consider getting off your statin medication, unless you’re a middle-aged man with heart disease. But remember to always contact your physician before stopping your statin drugs.

2. Rebuild your muscles and your heart with four nutrientsI call them the “awesome foursome.” You want to take the following:

• 200 mg of coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) daily
  • 200-600 mg of magnesium daily
  • 2-3 grams of broad spectrum carnitine daily
  • 5 grams of D-Ribose two to three times a day
3. If you’re suffering from polyneuropathy, which is nerve damage that affects the feet and hands causing weakness, loss of sensation or burning pain, I recommend taking 100-300 mg of alpha lipoic acid a day.

Finally, be very optimistic.I’ve seen this regimen work again and again over the years. Once you allow the statin drugs to clear from your system, and build up the mitochondrial function in your cells with the awesome foursome, you will not only reverse the side effects of statins—you’ll thrive!

Read entire article here... http://www.drsinatra.com/undo-the-side-effects-of-statins

And here's an interesting book... Poisoned! Recovery From Statin "Side Effects" by James B. and Hannah Yoseph

Look at the table of contents and sample pages here... http://www.amazon.com/Poisoned-Reco...l_formats&filterByStar=five_star&pageNumber=1

Tonight I learned that in addition to statins affecting CoQ10 levels, they also affect vitamin K2 levels...

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2015/06/03/statins-inhibit-vitamin-k2.aspx

I've read that it takes time to recover from the damage caused by statins, and I've read numerous reports that people are helped by CoQ10, so that's encouraging. I'm familiar with Dr. Sinatra's work so trust what he has to say. I'm less familiar with Dr. Mercola's work, but he is well networked, so in that sense, he has access to a lot of health information. I do like his newest book. I'll add only that everyone needs adequate levels of magnesium and vitamin D3, so those supplements are important. Recently, I heard an interview with cardiologist Joel Kahn, M.D. who stated that his patients have also responded well to Dr. Sinatra's "awesome foursome" recommendation. If there's any neuropathy, alpha-lipoic acid is recommended everywhere I look.

I'll be interested in what you learn, what helps, what doesn't help.

Last edited by a moderator:

july

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you'll find this recent article by Zoe Harcombe validating - (read the side effect list at the end)...

http://www.zoeharcombe.com/2015/03/worried-about-cholesterol-andor-statins/
Winnie53 thank you so much for all the information. I will take a visit to Holland and Barratt to get these supplements.
I am currently taking a multi vitamin at night time and used to take magnesium & zinc which I obiously need to start taking again.
Also will take a look through the attachments you have sent me. Thank you .

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
July, when I was younger, and a lot more naïve, I was helped by some medications, but harmed others. Only with the help of a new doctor was I able to understand what happened to me. Today, I'm not anti-medication, but because I personally have suffered harm, I firmly believe in trying lifestyle changes first and giving them enough time to work - (diet, nutritional supplements, exercise, herbs, etc.).

Please give us an update now and then. It's important to increase awareness about this problem. One out of five statin users are now having side effects that are impacting their quality of life. And too many doctors are telling their patients that their symptoms are not due to the statin. I continue to question if anyone should take a statin.

My best friend started taking a statin last October. She told me two months ago that her hand hand muscles had begun to contract unexpectedly into a claw like position. Shocked, I asked her if she's started a new medication. She had. A statin. After providing her a book on cholesterol, she chose to continue on the statin, which I am respecting. But I got her to take CoQ10, and a high quality multi-vitamin made from organic whole foods. Looks like I also need to get her taking vitamin K2 too. I'm really worried about her. :(