Type 1 and jobs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone,

Possibly a bit of a silly question but here goes...

I'm due to start training as a nurse this September at university and just wondered if anyone had any advice or tips to help me stay on top of diabetes AS WELL as nursing training?

Are there any diabetic nurses out there? I've already been to university a few years back for my first degree, but now I'm older I'd really rather it not get in the way of my studies as this is something I'm truly passionate about.

I know the occupational health dept. have factored in extra meal breaks for me but just wondered if anyone had any tips or advice for starting uni all over again.

Thanks in advance.

Scott.

Reactions: 2 people

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I did my nurse training under old style apprenticeship nurse training, before type 1 diabetes, then did BSc, then got T1D, did MSc, which involved working in public health, and still nurse on mountain running races and do home care work for a disabled friend. The single most useful pieces of advice I'd give are ALWAYS trust your instincts and ALWAYS have sweets in your pocket. That will only be a problem if wearing scrubs eg in operating theatres, ICU etc. If in doubt about whether or not you're hypo, and no time to test, then eat sweets. Obviously, if there is time to test, then do so. Remember that you're a member of a team of nurses, all of whome will miss meal breaks at times, so try not to use your extra breaks unless you need. If your insulin pen and blood glucose meter kit are small enough to keep in tunic pocket, then do so, but make sure they can't fall out - safety pins / extra loops might help - get sewing!

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What @copepod said :)
My advice is to have a smaller and efficient meter that's easy to carry round, I like the Accucheck Mobile and my current favourite , the Contour Next USB. The latter fits nicely with a finger pricker and strips in a small neoprene camera case with clip from that posh shop, Poundland ;) Another identical case carries jelly babies for unobtrusive hypo stoppers . Both are small enough to clip on to a belt loop or carry in your pocket. I also used a metal pen clip ( sold in stationers ) to carry my novopens around , with spare needles in the camera case for the meter.

Oh and remember to log your readings etc, rather than a log book, use a phone app that is quick and efficient . MySugr is a good one, but ensure you turn the sound for that blasted monster OFF ! :D ( It sounds like a soul in torment when your bloods are out of range - trust me, it's not a good sound for people to associate with you ! ):D

Signy

Reactions: 4 people

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hiya I almost trained as a nurse but I was a healthcare assistant for sometime. I had shifts etc catered to my needs such as I didn't do nighttime shifts do to the insulin sensitivity I experienced. Like others have said finding pockets that can slot it into with compartments for sugar I use to carry love hearts around with me. I also made sure that I stopped for at least a few minutes to check my bloods. The nurses on the ward I was honest with about the diabetes to and heir thery was " well your more use to use if youkeep checking your sugar than consistently moving" this was just my expeience but I found you find your own rhythem and ways with colleagues. Congrats on your new career

M

mrspuddleduck

Hi Scott. At the uni there will be a disability/special needs coordinator (horrible title!) and you MUST contact them when you start if not before.. All unis are different but as you are nurse training you would have had to 'declare' your diabetes when you applied (legal/GNC requirements). It won't be a problem, there are loads of diabetic nurses but the coordinator will negotiate any adjustments you may need eg for exams etc. Sue xxxxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello everyone,

Possibly a bit of a silly question but here goes...

I'm due to start training as a nurse this September at university and just wondered if anyone had any advice or tips to help me stay on top of diabetes AS WELL as nursing training?

Are there any diabetic nurses out there? I've already been to university a few years back for my first degree, but now I'm older I'd really rather it not get in the way of my studies as this is something I'm truly passionate about.

I know the occupational health dept. have factored in extra meal breaks for me but just wondered if anyone had any tips or advice for starting uni all over again.

Thanks in advance.

Scott.

Good luck Scott, I'm sure you will be a brilliant nurse. Everyone one has given positive and helpful advice, so nothing for me to say except, my Aviva Nano is a great little machine, small and lightweight too.

Wishing you all the very best, RRB