Type 1 and multiple sclerosis treatment

badmedisin

Hi!
Just wondering if there's anyone else out there with type 1 and MS?

I guess it'd make sense that your immune system might want to destro more than just your pancreas ;)

Anyway, last year I was diagnosed with MS after 10 years of being fobbed off with "it's diabetic neuropathy, try increasing your insulin" etc.

Last week I started treatment with Plegridy (interferon beta) for MS and my BG has been high since, despite having a load of extra insulin. Obviously I'm gradually increasing insulin but I don't want to do it too fast and overdo it (again...)

I can't find any helpful studies, maybe because Plegridy is quite new. So I'm wondering if anyone else has any experience of this?

Thanks!

Reactions: SlimJadey

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi!

I guess it'd make sense that your immune system might want to destro more than just your pancreas ;)

Anyway, last year I was diagnosed with MS after 10 years of being fobbed off with "it's diabetic neuropathy, try increasing your insulin" etc.

Last week I started treatment with Plegridy (interferon beta) for MS and my BG has been high since, despite having a load of extra insulin. Obviously I'm gradually increasing insulin but I don't want to do it too fast and overdo it (again...)

I can't find any helpful studies, maybe because Plegridy is quite new. So I'm wondering if anyone else has any experience of this?

Thanks!

I'll bump this again for you.

I was about to comment that my SiL has MS and her father was T1, only to recall that her father was her adoptive father, therefore no genetic connection. Doh!

If it's any consolation, my SiL has been diagnosed about 15 years, and she has had her troubles with it, but for the most part she leads a good life to the full; still travelling and has recently gone back to Uni.

Really good luck with it all.

Deno2212

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi!

I guess it'd make sense that your immune system might want to destro more than just your pancreas ;)hi there I've had type 1 for 21 years had "neuropathy " for 8 years but actually diagnosed with ms 2 years ago so was ms all along

Thanks!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
@badmedisin I was diagnosed with MS awhile back and had a discussion with my lovely neuro and we agreed not to use DMD's as they are very toxic and the knock on effect on my diabetes would not be good. So it's a watch and wait situation with me.
Like you I have had symptoms for many years and it's nice to actually know what the problem is. Hope you manage to stay well and active.

Reactions: Peppergirl

Peppergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @badmedisin and @CarbsRok
just picked up this thread, hope you're both well.
I was diagnosed with RRMS in July this year, not on meds but not sure if I will just yet. Not sure about my neuro TBH. Also diagnosed with Brown Sequard syndrome as well which the neuro wrote to my GP about. As I've had two neuro appointments cancelled, it'll be 6 months since my last appointment if the one next month goes ahead so I've saved up a load of questions. I had to request the GP letter just to see the diagnosis in writing.
Take care

Reactions: CarbsRok

dalfandre

hi,

I was just diagnosed with MS 3 months ago. I've been T1 since 1988 and hypothyroid since around the same time. The diabetes I can do, thyroid, no problem, but adding the whole MS thing makes me super nervous.

I'm both sorry and thrilled to see that I'm not alone. I start a new drug tomorrow...also kind of nervous. Argh.

DarkestBeing

I know this is an old post but in a strange way it’s good to know I am not alone, although it would be better if these problems didn’t exist in the first place.

SlimJadey

I know this is an old post but in a strange way it’s good to know I am not alone, although it would be better if these problems didn’t exist in the first place.
@DarkestBeing I agree with you... I just got diagnosed with RRMS over Christmas (best Xmas present ever...) after having T1diabetes for 18 years. The hardest thing to face is being 26 and living with 2 chronic illnesses for the rest of my life. It's nice knowing there's others out there with the same struggle and feels. If anyone lives in Canada... Saskatchewan... Hit me up...

SlimJadey

Hi!

Thanks!

I was told it was diabetic neuropathy for the longest time too. Frustrating how health care professionals can be so obtuse. Was also told it was maybe an aneurism since everything would get worse when I exercised. Funny how when I mention that, then they send me for a CT scan, which lead to seeing lesions, an MRI and finally a diagnosis. I just started Plegridy Feb 21/19... Going in for the full dose this Friday. Just wondering if you are still on it after a year and how your diabetes is handling it? Also wondering if the skin damage gets worse over time and affects your insulin absorption? All questions I asked to the professionals and none could provide me an answer... Wishing for a friend who can relate to the struggles since I don't know where else to turn to anymore.

dalfandre

Hi,
I'm in the US, but I started taking Gilenya for MS almost a year ago and it has had NO effect on my blood sugar, just FYI. AND it's a once a day pill!
It has significantly lowered my immune system though, so infections are easy to come by and difficult to treat, but...I don't have any new lesions and my blood sugar is in line.
There's not a lot of positivity when you have not one, but two autoimmune conditions, but the Gilenya and the insulin pump make me feel almost (almost) what I think normal feels like.

Reactions: SlimJadey