Type 1 and Pregnancy

HammyBammy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello,

Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong forum, I'm new to the site!
I was diagnosed with type 1 last year (September), was a bit of a shock but I've adapted now. I'm 30 years old and 14 weeks pregnant with my first child. To get pregnant I was advised not to due to my recent diagnosed but against all advice I tried my hardest to get right control which I have. My hbac1 is 49 (around 6.9%). I eat generally what I want, there isn't anything I've cut out of my diet (well apart from the obvious things during pregnancy!) I've been reading a lot on diabetics and the size of their babies, would this be affected by what I eat? I read on one forum that this women ate basically no carbs and her baby was 6lbs.
From what I've been told by the doctors it's not what you eat, diabetics tend to have bigger babies due to the excess sugar in their bodies.
I would also like to know if any other women have went to 40 weeks in their pregnancy as I'm getting told I wouldn't go past 38?
Sorry for the very very long post! :)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @HammyBammy and congratulations :)

I've moved your post to the Pregnancy section so you can have a read of the many threads here :)

The cause of larger than normal babies in women with diabetes is high blood sugar. That's one reason why the blood sugar targets for a diabetic pregnancy are so tight. If you can control your blood sugar, then your baby should be within the normal range.

I do NOT advise cutting carbs unless you're eating an excessive amount. Carbs are necessary for pregnancy and breadtfeeding. All you need to get right is balancing them with insulin so that your blood sugar stays in range. I'm presuming you know how to,carb count and adjust your insulin?

Most women with diabetes are induced around 38 weeks. This is a precaution. You can refuse induction, but most women understand why it's recommended and so are happy to take their doctor's advice.

HammyBammy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you and thank you as well for the response. :)

I don't think I would ever be able to cut out carbs from my diet, I like them to much! So far my ratio hasn't changed for my novorapid, I am still 1 unit to every 10grams but I have been advised this could change in the 3rd trimester.

Reactions: azure

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@HammyBammy Yes, your ratios may very well change. My evening meal one changed from 1:11g to 1:4g by the end of pregnancy, and my basal dose almost tripled! All perfectly normal.

I think the insulin resistance started to be noticeable around 20+ weeks and by around 30 or so,weeks was very noticeable. I'm on a pump so adjusted as necessary. I tested lots and made sure I really did need to make a change by seeing if the high happened the same time over two or three days, so I could be sure it wasn't just a random high.

I kept my HbA1C good by testing loads and tweaking my doses many times. I stayed below 33 throughout the pregnancy - hard work but worth it : )