Type 1: Are night time hypo watches/bands any good??

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Doesnt give me that option on iphone @azure. Just takes me into their profile with a message option.

Try using Safari to view the site webpage rather than using the app.That should work :)

On Safari, you can click on the pic that shows by the post and that will bring up a little box with an option to Follow written in red about halfway down the box :)

Reactions: bazzakerr1

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
Hi, im sorry to hear your news, and hope things soon settle down for you and your daughter. I have a Hypoband. Usually things are ok in the night but I got mine when I needed a course of steroids. It will telephone up to 3 numbers if it detects cold and damp, sure sign for me that im hypo. If your daughter doesn't get cold sweats then it wont help, if she does then it will. If you choose Hypoband id suggest its worth giving them a ring to make sure you buy one which is compatible with your phone (it needs to be Bluetoothed to a mobile). They were really helpful with mine as we had to swap it (old person/old phone ;-) ) xx I don't wear it every night but its fab when I need it.

bazzakerr1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheers grumpy, she had a cold sweat on her face and head earlier and her hands and feet were like ice but her torso was hot!
She said she was "starving" too an hour and a half after dinner so i checked her bloods to be sure. 3.4 she was. Cue the 100ml juice. Within 20 mins she was back to 5.5. Done a wee check an hour or so later and she was 5.7. Going to look into the bands for nighttime and will check compatibility. Thanks for the advice

Reactions: Grumpy ole thing

T1Dad

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sorry to hear about your daughters diagnosis t1dad. Thanks very much for the advice. Sienna was very consistent yesterday even through and after p.e and taekwondo. We left her all night last night after a 3 unit levimir and a 1.5 novo before bed with crackers and ham for supper. Woke up this morning to an 8.9. Yay. Dla forms printed off and i will fill them out this morning. Shes back at school now but my wife has to go to school twice a day for lunchtime shots and testing. The teachers wont be trained to give her shots until the middle of this month which is a real pain as my wife has had to go on the sick from work til this time. Thanks again for your advice, it really helps. one more question though, how do you follow people on here?

Hey no problem @bazzakerr1, you're most welcome. You sound like you have a great attitude towards this already which is a lot better than I was in the first few weeks. In a way, we were lucky that the diagnosis came at the start of the summer holidays so we had plenty of time to inform the school and get the appropriate training arranged. Best of luck.

CathP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @bazzakerr1 , sorry to hear of your daughters diagnosis. My daughter is also 6, diagnosed a year and a half ago at 4. If you're worried about night time hypos I can't recommend highly enough the dexcom CGM. It continuously monitors the blood sugar, giving readings every 5 minutes, and you can set high and low alerts. It's also amazing for during the day time, as it allows you to see what is happening to the blood sugar the whole time, not just snap shots the 10 or so times a day you fingerprick. So you can see what foods spike your daughter, and so better time your insulin bolus. It also means you can catch highs and lows before they happen/before they become serious. It's truly been life changing for us.x

bazzakerr1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @Cath great advice. Filling out dla form today as advised too. Just got it printed off from the cafe across the road 74 sheets @ 6p.
It will take a little while to fill them out i think lol.
Thanks @T1Dad, db nurse is training staff on feb 15th so we just need to grin and bear the lunch and p.e routine for now. I have taken a few days off so i was on the insulin run yesterday and i'm just about to leave for todays. At least i get a wee extra 10 mins with her through the day. Bonus!! Thanks folks

Reactions: azure

bazzakerr1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
What a day 11.4 at lunch not to bad, corrected with lunch shot. Came home from school wee test 8.2.. bang on!! Wee test half way through gymnastics 11.3 again not to bad.... after gymnastics 20.5 f@&%!!!, we gave her 2 units before swimming lessons (thinking if this don't work she'll need to miss it), (1st time for both classes in same day) came down to 11.3. So we thought we'll let her do her lesson as its only half an hour, tested her half way through and it was 11.5 we thought cool we've done not to bad.
After swimming came home then test before dinner 8.2 again doing good. Were getting good at this...
Test before supper 3.2 hypo ???... sure this diabetes is taking the mickey out us. Wheres the coke........ tbc

Last edited: