Type 1 child: Are Ballet Dancing and string instruments ok?

acox75

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Idiotic people, know it alls who know nothing, lazy home educators!
My 4.5 year old has started dance but there will be elements of ballet in some sessions. Does anyone know if his feet will be affected if he did it? Only because he has to look after his feet and I wondered if it may be too much pressure.

Also, he will be starting piano lessons but wants to learn the violin too. Will his fingers be ok with pressing the strings?

These questions may be silly but I need to make sure for his health.

Please advise if I've posted in the wrong place too Thanks.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@acox75 As long as his shoes fit ok, I would think not. I used to do ballet and I had no problems. I would make sure he's comfortable and check his feet to be safe.

Again, with the violin, that shouldn't be an issue.

And they're not silly questions : )

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
wow -- that is a totally tough question ------------- I have been D for 44 + years and have no trouble at all with my feet.
but.........I have never been a dancer ---- I played 11 a side football for many many years with no problem.

is he allowed any protection on his feet at practise ....... or is it all meant to be barefoot ?
normally us D's should not really go barefoot ( for long term health safety )

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My 4.5 year old has started dance but there will be elements of ballet in some sessions. Does anyone know if his feet will be affected if he did it? Only because he has to look after his feet and I wondered if it may be too much pressure.

Also, he will be starting piano lessons but wants to learn the violin too. Will his fingers be ok with pressing the strings?

I wouldn't worry about ballet as a male, or even as a female in the early years. What really tears up feet in ballet (moreso if not properly supervised) is dancing en pointe. Men don't, and most women never get there because it is years of training (and a certain finality of bone growth) - and lot of folks drop out before they get there. My daughter and I each danced for 3-4 years before dancing en pointem, and both of us were very late starters. Neither one of us danced much beyond achieving that goal - I had to make a choice between dancing and gymnastics since the back postures are somewhat incompatible and my daughter was diagnosed with a chronic illness and couldn't keep it up.

At the point at which he gets serious about it, he'll be old enough to make more informed choices about how his diabetes is progressing, how to care for his feet vis-a-vis dancing, and whether the additional effort that takes will be worth it to him.

But look up Zippora Karz & Tara Neill.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

My mum was a professional dancer in her day..

Regarding Ballet as a young diabetic? No issues. I went on to Laine theatre arts in Surrey covering other dance forms too!
My feet and toes are all still where they should be..

String instruments.? I also learned piano & had a guitar.. Lol, I wasn't very good at either.. Though I still keep the acoustic.

I'm more likely to cause hand injury working on my van??

Though I didn't find my feet in the "West end", I did become a singer in a heavy metal band. Now that was something my mum could worry about with the reputation & temptations of touring... ;)

Reactions: azure

shivles

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I played violin although I'm not diabetic, he will develop callouses on his finger tips so will make lancing more difficult there and may have to use alternative fingers but other than that he will be fine :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I played violin although I'm not diabetic, he will develop callouses on his finger tips so will make lancing more difficult there and may have to use alternative fingers but other than that he will be fine :)

I am the Lord of the lance..! Use the sides. :D

Reactions: Juicyj

acox75

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
wow -- that is a totally tough question ------------- I have been D for 44 + years and have no trouble at all with my feet.
but.........I have never been a dancer ---- I played 11 a side football for many many years with no problem.

is he allowed any protection on his feet at practise ....... or is it all meant to be barefoot ?
normally us D's should not really go barefoot ( for long term health safety )
Hi, I haven't said anything yet he's only had 1 lesson in normal clothing. I am hoping to speak to the dance teacher about him wearing pumps - I'm sure that will be fine.

Reactions: himtoo

acox75

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@acox75 As long as his shoes fit ok, I would think not. I used to do ballet and I had no problems. I would make sure he's comfortable and check his feet to be safe.

Again, with the violin, that shouldn't be an issue.

And they're not silly questions : )
Thank you. I just want to be sure as he loves dance and I'd hate nit to send him.

Reactions: azure and himtoo

acox75

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I wouldn't worry about ballet as a male, or even as a female in the early years. What really tears up feet in ballet (moreso if not properly supervised) is dancing en pointe. Men don't, and most women never get there because it is years of training (and a certain finality of bone growth) - and lot of folks drop out before they get there. My daughter and I each danced for 3-4 years before dancing en pointem, and both of us were very late starters. Neither one of us danced much beyond achieving that goal - I had to make a choice between dancing and gymnastics since the back postures are somewhat incompatible and my daughter was diagnosed with a chronic illness and couldn't keep it up.

At the point at which he gets serious about it, he'll be old enough to make more informed choices about how his diabetes is progressing, how to care for his feet vis-a-vis dancing, and whether the additional effort that takes will be worth it to him.

But look up Zippora Karz & Tara Neill.
Thank you

acox75

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi,

My mum was a professional dancer in her day..

Regarding Ballet as a young diabetic? No issues. I went on to Laine theatre arts in Surrey covering other dance forms too!
My feet and toes are all still where they should be..

String instruments.? I also learned piano & had a guitar.. Lol, I wasn't very good at either.. Though I still keep the acoustic.

I'm more likely to cause hand injury working on my van??

Though I didn't find my feet in the "West end", I did become a singer in a heavy metal band. Now that was something my mum could worry about with the reputation & temptations of touring... ;)
Lol. Thank you

acox75

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thank you

jasmine1616

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hate people who think they know about T1D, but they really don't
I am a cellist, and my fingers are fine when I play my instrument. I make sure I don't overdo my playing and if my fingers start feeling a little funny, I let my teacher know. It doesn't happen very often, but after playing consistently for a long period of time, it will make the fingers feel a little "off" I guess you could say. Do you know how long your child will be playing instrument? Hope I could help.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a quick note only about music instruments.
I think that piano and violin lessons together could be quite demanding for practice time. It's better in my opinion to start with ear training and solfege aimed to the piano, to learn to read both violin an bass keys. Beware that also piano practice could cause some conditions due a bad posture or the carpal tunnel syndrome.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I learnt both piano and violin as a young child and had no problems. It's just fun at that age :)

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I learnt both piano and violin as a young child and had no problems. It's just fun at that age :)
It's true! Also as a child you have a lot of free time and don't have all the worries from the work, the bank accoutn and so on...