Type 1 diabetes stigma

jemmaedias

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I don't know about you guys, but I am sick and tired of the comments I get when I tell people I am diabetic! "But you're not fat", "maybe you shouldn't have eaten so much sugar", "you love cake then?". We know the causes of type 1, but the lack of education on it and then stigma attached to the term makes me embarrassed of my condition, and nervous about telling people that I have diabetes. My Nanna mentioned a phone-in she heard on the radio about changing the name of type 2 diabetes. But maybe we should change the name of type 1??? Is this a stupid idea? Or am I talking some sense for a change?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Wait till you are over 50!! Everybody, even hospital people etc just assume you are T2 because you are no longer a child and everybody seems to also put diabetes t2 and over 50's in the same bracket too!

snowleopard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Wait till you are over 50!! Everybody, even hospital people etc just assume you are T2 because you are no longer a child and everybody seems to also put diabetes t2 and over 50's in the same bracket too!
Too right. It took my team 3 years to work out I was T1!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Too right. It took my team 3 years to work out I was T1!

Not only for the more mature new T1's but they really should think that children with T1 do grow old too and we cant outgrow T1 and cast it off!!