Type 1 diagnosed Monday 27 years old

Llinz04

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't eat digestive biscuits because of that, i will sometimes have one wit a cuppa t though :p

colsan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Jelly Babies.....just discovered that with me they are better than glucotabs and far nicer. Good luck...

NathLynn27

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Had a phone call tonight apparently I have diabetes. Not a clue what it means etc.
I had pains I'm my stomach thinking they were from pulling it at the gym. Did a wee test and had sugar in it. And then a blood test and they said I had a count of 64. Usually people have 40-48 or something. I know my Gran had diabetes later in life but that's all.
I don't really feel funny or bad usually. And my diet I must admit is S***. I'm 27 and weigh about 18 and half stone. I don't really fancy putting needles into my self. If it needs sorting would hope the doctors can give my a set eating plan or something. I do drink alot of cokes Pepsi etc which definitely won't help. Any advice please.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had a phone call tonight apparently I have diabetes. Not a clue what it means etc.
I had pains I'm my stomach thinking they were from pulling it at the gym. Did a wee test and had sugar in it. And then a blood test and they said I had a count of 64. Usually people have 40-48 or something. I know my Gran had diabetes later in life but that's all.
I don't really feel funny or bad usually. And my diet I must admit is S***. I'm 27 and weigh about 18 and half stone. I don't really fancy putting needles into my self. If it needs sorting would hope the doctors can give my a set eating plan or something. I do drink alot of cokes Pepsi etc which definitely won't help. Any advice please.

Hi @NathLynn27 you might struggle to receive any advice as you appear to have posted on a thread that's over 2 years old and not especially related to your circumstances. You might be better off starting your own thread to seek advice on your situation and I'm tagging a couple of moderators (@DCUKMod @himtoo ) who will be able to move your post for you if you want?

The blood test with a count of 64 is your hba1c. People don't usually have 40-48. Under 42 is not diabetic, 42-47 is pre diabetic and 48 or over is diabetic.

Do you have an appointment to discuss your diagnosis and treatment plan with your doctor?

From what you have posted it sounds like you probably have type 2 diabetes with family history of type 2 and your weight. It is possible, for some people, to treat their type 2 diabetes without the need for insulin injections and for type 2 diabetes to be treated by oral medication and diet or by diet alone. I can understand the desire to get a diet plan from your doctor, but the established medical advice on diet for type 2 might be somewhat behind the times with what might be the best diet for controlling type 2 diabetes.

Some of the other posters on here who manage their type 2 diabetes by diet might be able to offer their experience of doing this.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi @NathLynn27 ,

Welcome to the forum.

As @catapillar mentions, a member of the moderator team could give you your own thread with your post, which may be more productive with respective responses to yourself...
Just let us know!

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold

Hi The good news is you've found the place to get all the answers. I was diagnosed just over a year ago and now by changing the way I eat dont need medication. I'm sure you will get a load more responses but firstly my advise is to get a blood glucose meter if you are lucky you might get one from the doctor / nurse else buy one. They are pretty easy to use and you can figure out which foods/ drinks are messing with your body. Also get the doc to print you out your readings. The people on this forum will help explain them. It's quite friendly here so don't be shy. I'm more than happy to help in any way I can too !! Best of luck with it - us here are pretty much in the same boat, it's not as bad as it first seems .

NathLynn27

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Great Thanks for the replys.
If a Mod could move my post to a seperate post that would be great.

I think I was abit hard on my self last night.
I don't think my diet is that bad but could definitely be better. I do have say 3-5 cans of Coke/Pepsi fizzy drinks etc a day which clearly won't help.
Today I have had none.
I must admit with my job I have sometimes it's hard to fit in a lunch break or lunch.
So today I had nothing to eat all day and not much to drink either. Until I had finished at 4.30 and on the way home had a double cheeseburger from burger king. Lol bad I know. Then for dinner had spag bol.

I don't really know how I should feel. I've read I could get the shakes etc. Today my throat was burning abit but I've put that down to not really eating or drinking...

Not really excuses but like I say all I've had is a urine test where they found sugar. And blood test where they found that reading. Is that enough evidence to say I have diabetes. I don't really know. I will phone doctor's tomorrow and arrange an appointment.

Is the count of 64 I think it was considered high?

I definitely would prefer to handle it with diet so I will definitely be looking into it.

Thanks
@catapillar @Jaylee @OrsonKartt