Type 1 losing motivation

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,
Just wondered if anyone on here would be able to re-motivate me to care about my diabetes. My nurses and consultant try but I cant be dealing with the patronising talks anymore. Type one for 6 years now and having a bit of a low time with it all. If anyone wants to contact me for any reason feel free :)

daisymj14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @emilykarenzzaa04

I have had type 1 for 18 years, and only a few months ago I decided to take control of my diabetes.
I understand how you feel, and I was feeling the frustration of the same talks over and over again at the hospital but I recently found an amazing consultant and it has really changed my mindset. I trust him, and respect him. He talks to me as a person, not a medical record

Happy to chat xxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @emilykarenzzaa04

I have had type 1 for 18 years, and only a few months ago I decided to take control of my diabetes.
I understand how you feel, and I was feeling the frustration of the same talks over and over again at the hospital but I recently found an amazing consultant and it has really changed my mindset. I trust him, and respect him. He talks to me as a person, not a medical record

Happy to chat xxx
Hey. Im just so fed up with it recently and have been 'too busy' to bother anymore. Just having a late night think about what I am doing and getting frustrated that I can't even be bothered to look after myself. This doesn't happen usually aha and was fine for a year or so with good BMs etc. Now im forgetting to do blood sugars and injections and I need motivation to look after myself again! Any help or advice would be so helpful.
Thanks for your time x

daisymj14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm just off to bed. Will give you a message tomorrow.
Go to bed thinking that tomorrow is a new day, every day will be different but we have to stay positive and take each day as it comes. It's taken me years to actually accept my diabetes, we could have much worse health conditions, you're not alone and everyone on here is going to support you. It's never too late to make a fresh start and turn things around Xx

Reactions: Afnan ...

StefanR95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know how hard it is to be motivated. There's a lot of times I just want to lie in bed all day and not eat or do my injections. However I do get up and do them and eat as at the moment I have neuropathy, which I've had since being diagnosed, and I just think to myself, would I rather more complications or to be as healthy and happy as I can be at the moment.

That's not easy and with everything happening in my life at the moment it is a wonder I still do anything. Just remember that you want to be as happy as you can be and be thankful that you are alive.

Reactions: Afnan ...

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone,
Just wondered if anyone on here would be able to re-motivate me to care about my diabetes. My nurses and consultant try but I cant be dealing with the patronising talks anymore. Type one for 6 years now and having a bit of a low time with it all. If anyone wants to contact me for any reason feel free :)
I'm getting close to where I want to be but it has taken years and years of struggle. What I always found was that it is superbly overwhelming to go from not caring to trying to care as there are so many different aspects. What I always found useful was breaking it down. So one week would be spent working on my waking bg. That was it, nothing beyond that. Then the next week I started small adjustments to what I was injecting for meals. Step by step I got my hb1ac from 9.6 to 6.9!! Beautiful symmetry ahaha - break it down and focus only on that one thing. That's the only thing that worked for me, and got me into better habits :)

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi emilykarenzzaa04

Motivation is a strange thing, I've found. Once you find the movitation that works for you, you'll feel so much better. :) When I was first diagnosed (Type 2) I just couldn't get 'into' any kind of diet. I'd tried WW and SW for weight loss previously and it just drove me crackers trying to work out what /what not to eat. It would take me all day trying to work it out so you can imagine how depressing I found the idea of giving up all/most of my favourite foods - so I didn't even get off the ground

However, when prescribed tablets that could cause hypos, I was given a meter, at last, in spite of asking for one initially (and on several occasions - just being told Type 2's don't need to test which, to my mind, merely belittles the condition and probably increases incidence of complications later, but that's another story) The meter and test strips turned out not to be much of a motivator but the scales were - I started to increase weight and I was already overweight so, one day, I felt I didn't want to gain more weight so I had only one option - yes, to cut down my foods :(

Since then, I've gradually cut down, then cut out, such things as bread, potatoes, pasta etc and, during the past year I've managed to see my weight drop consistently and almost 3st gone, plus my HbA1c reduce from 8.1 to 6.0%.

Also, a further motivation for me, I got a Freestyle Libre in mid-August of this year and this alone has been a huge motivator. Fortunately, I can afford these sensors - they're not cheap, but I feel it's mainly because of the Libre that I've got down to this level, weight and A1c. Several weeks ago, the sensor failed and I didn't have another on hand to replace it so it was several days before I got a replacement sent and also ordered more. During that time, ie without the Libre, I was tending to 'cheat' on my diet, eating a few things that I fancied but shouldn't have re glucose levels, which just proved to me that the Libre is a very strong motivator, for ME :) One reason, I don't like to mess up the lovely graph which is shows and, secondly, I am spending money on this so it's stupid not to try to stick to sensible foods to keep my glucose levels to the optimum

As a result of the Libre, I've also just recently been stopped the Glipizide tabs as I haven't really needed them lately, due to loss of weight and careful (low carb) eating. My GP is amazed at the turn around :)

So, good luck to finding YOUR ideal motivation. As already said here, you'll get so much support from these forums, to say nothing of the very valuable advice that will be forthcoming. I'm now going to tag @daisy1 who will post some good information re diabetes. Apologies to daisy1 and yourself if you've already had it posted. Hopefully, this information will also re-ignite your enthusiasm to take control.

Looking forward to hearing your progress :)

Reactions: emilykarenzzaa04

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Could you maybe talk to your dsn or consultant about accessing a psychologist or counselor? My sense is that motivation around diabetes is part of motivation around life in general. Wish you well with it

Reactions: emilykarenzzaa04

samantha13

Hi @emilykarenzzaa04 I can empathise with you...I was diagnosed 6 years ago and shortly after diagnosed with depression. This caused me to abuse myself through binge eating and neglecting my health in general. I spent 2 years with a cbt counsellor (I've other issues as well) and have to say once I overcame the depression I found my motivation. I also think I was in denial about my diabetes diagnosis only fully accepting it recently. I have no tips as I feel it's different for each individual but I'm definitely here for you if you need a chat :) all the best xxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know how hard it is to be motivated. There's a lot of times I just want to lie in bed all day and not eat or do my injections. However I do get up and do them and eat as at the moment I have neuropathy, which I've had since being diagnosed, and I just think to myself, would I rather more complications or to be as healthy and happy as I can be at the moment.

That's not easy and with everything happening in my life at the moment it is a wonder I still do anything. Just remember that you want to be as happy as you can be and be thankful that you are alive.
Thankyou so much for that reply. It really does make you think about how lucky we really are. Life can be **** but hey, makes us stronger x

Reactions: himtoo
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm getting close to where I want to be but it has taken years and years of struggle. What I always found was that it is superbly overwhelming to go from not caring to trying to care as there are so many different aspects. What I always found useful was breaking it down. So one week would be spent working on my waking bg. That was it, nothing beyond that. Then the next week I started small adjustments to what I was injecting for meals. Step by step I got my hb1ac from 9.6 to 6.9!! Beautiful symmetry ahaha - break it down and focus only on that one thing. That's the only thing that worked for me, and got me into better habits :)
That sounds like such a good idea! Will start that first thing tomorrow and hopefully get the same results! x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi emilykarenzzaa04

Motivation is a strange thing, I've found. Once you find the movitation that works for you, you'll feel so much better. :) When I was first diagnosed (Type 2) I just couldn't get 'into' any kind of diet. I'd tried WW and SW for weight loss previously and it just drove me crackers trying to work out what /what not to eat. It would take me all day trying to work it out so you can imagine how depressing I found the idea of giving up all/most of my favourite foods - so I didn't even get off the ground

However, when prescribed tablets that could cause hypos, I was given a meter, at last, in spite of asking for one initially (and on several occasions - just being told Type 2's don't need to test which, to my mind, merely belittles the condition and probably increases incidence of complications later, but that's another story) The meter and test strips turned out not to be much of a motivator but the scales were - I started to increase weight and I was already overweight so, one day, I felt I didn't want to gain more weight so I had only one option - yes, to cut down my foods :(

Since then, I've gradually cut down, then cut out, such things as bread, potatoes, pasta etc and, during the past year I've managed to see my weight drop consistently and almost 3st gone, plus my HbA1c reduce from 8.1 to 6.0%.

Also, a further motivation for me, I got a Freestyle Libre in mid-August of this year and this alone has been a huge motivator. Fortunately, I can afford these sensors - they're not cheap, but I feel it's mainly because of the Libre that I've got down to this level, weight and A1c. Several weeks ago, the sensor failed and I didn't have another on hand to replace it so it was several days before I got a replacement sent and also ordered more. During that time, ie without the Libre, I was tending to 'cheat' on my diet, eating a few things that I fancied but shouldn't have re glucose levels, which just proved to me that the Libre is a very strong motivator, for ME :) One reason, I don't like to mess up the lovely graph which is shows and, secondly, I am spending money on this so it's stupid not to try to stick to sensible foods to keep my glucose levels to the optimum

As a result of the Libre, I've also just recently been stopped the Glipizide tabs as I haven't really needed them lately, due to loss of weight and careful (low carb) eating. My GP is amazed at the turn around :)

So, good luck to finding YOUR ideal motivation. As already said here, you'll get so much support from these forums, to say nothing of the very valuable advice that will be forthcoming. I'm now going to tag @daisy1 who will post some good information re diabetes. Apologies to daisy1 and yourself if you've already had it posted. Hopefully, this information will also re-ignite your enthusiasm to take control.

Looking forward to hearing your progress :)
Thankyou! I love hearing about other peoples stories and will keep you up to date with mine :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @emilykarenzzaa04 I can empathise with you...I was diagnosed 6 years ago and shortly after diagnosed with depression. This caused me to abuse myself through binge eating and neglecting my health in general. I spent 2 years with a cbt counsellor (I've other issues as well) and have to say once I overcame the depression I found my motivation. I also think I was in denial about my diabetes diagnosis only fully accepting it recently. I have no tips as I feel it's different for each individual but I'm definitely here for you if you need a chat :) all the best xxx
Thnakyou so much! Love the cat by the way! I understand what you mean with the CBT, luckily just been signed off for other reasons but I can see why other aspects of my life can affect my diabetes. Slowly but surely I want to get my sugars down and feel better in the long term. Stay safe x

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hey @emilykarenzzaa04
the good news = you can do this , please don't let the D win

the not so great news -- ya do have to wake each day with a spirit and determination
forget the day ( or week ) before -- and just treat each day as though it is going to be your best --- it works for me -- LOL -- but not everyday
yesterday was a nightmare in the teens ( 13.0 - 19.6) all day :(

today I started on a 14.2 but by lunchtime was back in single figures and have remained there since--

just know you are not alone and even us long timers ( 44 years) have nightmare days and sometimes more -- BUT ----- You can do it !!!!!!!!!!

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
That sounds like such a good idea! Will start that first thing tomorrow and hopefully get the same results! x
Most important thing is to not get wrapped up in the details, nothing is going to go perfectly every day and giving yourself some leeway means overall you're more likely to keep trying, or at least that was what happened to me!

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@emilykarenzzaa04

Hello Emily and welcome to the forum :) As mentioned above, here is the basic information we give to new members and I hope this will help to motivate you. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 220,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.