1. Find out how you can help us spread the word about the Diabetes Forum. Click HERE
  2. Hi there, Guest. Welcome to the forum!
    Need some guidance? Check out our Forum Video Guides

Type 1 - need to gain weight

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by alf15, Jun 17, 2009.

1. alf15

alf15 Member

Hi,

I've been a type 1 diabetic for about 8 months now. I was told by my diabetic team that i would gain weight being a type. But the opposite has happened, before I got diabetes I was 13.5 stone and 6ft tall. For the past few months I have lost 1.5 stone, so I am now 12 stone. My b/s is controlled pretty well, average about 7.4. I have been eating healthy and getting more exercise, which i know has made me loss weight.

I was wondering how do I gain more weight ? As I look fairly thin now, being so tall. Dont want to gain to much, just got back to 13 stone. I have increased my food intake and also insulin for this extra food, but no difference :(

I know if I eat more fatty food then i'll gain weight, but high fatty foods mess's up my blood sugar, I go low then go high a few hours later.

Any advise? It's very annoying, everybody is saying I look to thin! Plus all my jeans are hanging off me and I cant afford a new waredrobe haha!

Thanks

Alan
  2. cugila

cugila Well-Known Member

OMG. I wish.....I am trying to lose it and here you are wanting to put it on ? :?

Take a look here. It gives a very good list of things to do which may help you ? It would appear that you should probably follow the DUK and NHS 'Healthy' diet with plenty of starchy carbs. More Calories too. Have a read.

http://www.bupa.co.uk/health_informatio ... tweighton/

Ken.
  3. alf15

alf15 Member

Ah brilliant thanks mate!

Yeah I know, its a bit odd, most people want to lose weight! I eat like a maniac now and still now weight gain.

Thanks for the link, I'll give it a read.
  4. thedriver

thedriver Member

sounds so familar...I was in the same situation when I was 16...and wanted to gain weight.

Wish I could turn back the clock....I did start to gain weight...and more weight.

Before you know it you have gone past your ideal weight and then trying too loose it becomes a mare.

Be happy with your lot....because on this game...the weight gain will follow...I've yet to meet a T1 who is happy with their weight...and once its on...its hard..real hard to get it off..exercise, risk of hypo, etc.
  5. dipsticky

dipsticky New Member

Get them calories down ya. You know it makes sense. Stuff the diet ?

D.
  6. alf15

alf15 Member

I know of two type one's around the same age as me and they have had type 1 since babies and they are saying the same thing as me, that they can eat a much as they like and not gain weight!

Maybe as you get older your metabolism slows down and you gain weight.