Type 1 Newbie

Johnny Gant

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All. Jonathan here. This whole new type 1 thingy is a bit new to me. I took poorly whilst at work on the 12th June at 2.30am in the morning. Where in A&E my BM was 39. I was told that if it was an hour later I would have been in resus fighting for my life.. I was promptly put on drips in both arms in total I'd had 11 lites of fluid two potassium infusions and two insulin infusions. I'm now on novarapid and Abasaglar slow release insulin. A complete life style change was needed, I lost two stone and feel really well. In fact my BM is now in the region of 5-9 with spikes if I eat to much carb or lows if I forget to snack or don't have enough carbs. I'm sure others can appreciate where some of my friends and family can't that a sugar withdrawn is herendous. I started to read books but soon put them down as one said I'd die within 5 years. That ain't happening. Looking forward to chatting with you. Jonathan...

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Hi All. Jonathan here. This whole new type 1 thingy is a bit new to me. I took poorly whilst at work on the 12th June at 2.30am in the morning. Where in A&E my BM was 39. I was told that if it was an hour later I would have been in resus fighting for my life.. I was promptly put on drips in both arms in total I'd had 11 lites of fluid two potassium infusions and two insulin infusions. I'm now on novarapid and Abasaglar slow release insulin. A complete life style change was needed, I lost two stone and feel really well. In fact my BM is now in the region of 5-9 with spikes if I eat to much carb or lows if I forget to snack or don't have enough carbs. I'm sure others can appreciate where some of my friends and family can't that a sugar withdrawn is herendous. I started to read books but soon put them down as one said I'd die within 5 years. That ain't happening. Looking forward to chatting with you. Jonathan...
Welcome to the forum @Johnny Gant. Your story sounds a bit like mine. I woke up in hospital, and the news was not good. But don't worry, you are now in with a good team who will stand with you. We are here to help you grow as a diabetic. This is the place where heroes are born.

Reactions: Missbee100

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Welcome to the forum Jonathan.

Just ignore the scare stories and just keep doing what your doing, you've made an excellent start.

Missbee100

Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like you are doing really well
I don't profess to know a lot as my son has only been diagnosed a week but this forum has been brilliant.
Lots of friendly people on here with words of encouragement & great tips.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello and welcome to the forum @Johnny Gant. Don't read the scare stories, many type 1's have had diabetes for decades and are still going 30/40/50 + years on, this is my 28th year and I want another 28. A supportive forum is half the battle, take care :)

Peppergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Brilliant that you've found this forum so quickly after diagnosis. You'll see from this forum that there are lots of type 1's who've lived very well with diabetes for years. Never a *good* time to be diagnosed with T1 but with all the tech and information available now (didn't have that even in 1992 when I was diagnosed), there's lots of support and ways to manage your condition that's better than ever.

I've found that only other diabetics understand exactly what we go through, so this forum is a great support.

Johnny Gant

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning. Ah what nice comments thanks. Thank you. I've joined because I need to be around other t1 this week I've had the. ' it's only diabetes' and ' why you eating that it's got sugar in' and the best one in a pub ' no you can't have brown bread' so need to surroundmyself with folks that understand. My dns said there's no reason I can live a full healthy normal life. so I have diabetes. Diabetes doesn't have me. Have a great day everyone.

Reactions: Missbee100

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, @Johnny Gant . Good to see you're being upbeat about it.

It's a big shock when that realisation hits you that it's for life. I had a few temper tantrums in the first few months, the usual, oh, this is so unfair, why me etc. But that fades and you just get used to it.

I'd been very active before dx, ski-ing, sailing, cycling, and thought that would be an end to that. Sure, I was a bit delicate for a while after dx. I'd been sent home after being incorrectly dx'd with "exam stress" and taken back the next day unconscious, full on dka. That took a bit of time to recover from. Although after two weeks of final exams, it wasn't that bad having a hospital bed for three days with a sea view being tended to by a Scottish-Italian nurse. Hmm, I've gone to heaven, with a few injections thrown in.

But then I got back on the skis, on the bike, in the boat. It's never going to be a walk in the park, hypos are never much fun, but this is totally do-able. The adjustments were really just that I had to check my blood and carry some sugar around with me - jam on oatcakes worked very well for cycle touring.

I don't think there are limitations. There are just adjustments to be made, mainly making sure you've got sugar with you, and sussing out how much insulin for each meal. The only real complication when I went backpacking in Asia for six months was that glucotabs weren't that easy to find, but turned out you could pick up Mentos anywhere, and they don't melt that much in the heat.

It's not an enemy, just a part of you that's stopped working, so you need to help it out, usually with some sweets and an occasional jab.

I've tested blood sugar with old fashioned colour changing strips on top of mountains in white-out blizzards, and in force 6 gales in a boat. Not exactly "clean hands" situations but you do what you need to do.

You'll likely go through a grieving period, but believe me, you'll get through it. There was a post a few weeks ago from someone saying we not only survive, but thrive. That's true. There's plenty of stories on here from people going wild camping, walking thousand mile trails over months - all just takes a bit more planning and forethought than your average joe.

You'll be taught carb counting. It's an important skill to learn, a good starting point, but don't obsess about it. After a while you'll learn how to wing it - make an educated guess based on how much carbs are in similar foods and past experience with a meal that size. Example: was in Darjeeling once backpacking, popped into a Tibetan cafe, got some momos, didn't have a clue how many carbs, but, hey, they're kind of like tortellini or ravioli, so just made an educated guess. I mention this because there are many posts from newly dx'd seriously wondering whether they will be able to have snacks, eat out, what if it's not in Carbs & Cals etc. etc. All totally do-able with a bit of experience, which you'll pick up as time goes by.

Those grim stories in books are worth bearing in mind. I was hugely motivated to look after myself by a story in my early days 29 years ago by a young woman who'd paid no attention for five years and was about to go blind. I said to myself that's not going to happen to me. It hasn't. Complications can catch up really quick if you don't pay attention to it, run around in the high teens, twenties for too long, but it doesn't mean you need to live like a monk, far from it. I have a few beers at weekends, do a Chinese buffet, an Indian, but just make a few accomodations - white rice spikes like crazy so not too much of that, but egg noodles fine, maybe just the crispier bits of the naan bread dipped in my lamb jalfrezzi. Get the pre-bolus timing right for a meal (about 20 mins for me) and a few poppadoms, fish pakora, lamb jalfrezzi and naan barely shifts my levels.

T1 will p*ss you off at times, hypos are a dog, but when all's said and done, we're pretty lucky compared to people dx'd before discovery of insulin in 1922.

Best of luck!

PS: if you can afford it, get cgm, like libre, dexcom or medtronic. Being able to see sugars shifting in real time so you can pro-actively take steps to keep in range is almost like cheating compared to strips!

Johnny Gant

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, @Johnny Gant . Good to see you're being upbeat about it.

It's a big shock when that realisation hits you that it's for life. I had a few temper tantrums in the first few months, the usual, oh, this is so unfair, why me etc. But that fades and you just get used to it.

I'd been very active before dx, ski-ing, sailing, cycling, and thought that would be an end to that. Sure, I was a bit delicate for a while after dx. I'd been sent home after being incorrectly dx'd with "exam stress" and taken back the next day unconscious, full on dka. That took a bit of time to recover from. Although after two weeks of final exams, it wasn't that bad having a hospital bed for three days with a sea view being tended to by a Scottish-Italian nurse. Hmm, I've gone to heaven, with a few injections thrown in.

But then I got back on the skis, on the bike, in the boat. It's never going to be a walk in the park, hypos are never much fun, but this is totally do-able. The adjustments were really just that I had to check my blood and carry some sugar around with me - jam on oatcakes worked very well for cycle touring.

I don't think there are limitations. There are just adjustments to be made, mainly making sure you've got sugar with you, and sussing out how much insulin for each meal. The only real complication when I went backpacking in Asia for six months was that glucotabs weren't that easy to find, but turned out you could pick up Mentos anywhere, and they don't melt that much in the heat.

It's not an enemy, just a part of you that's stopped working, so you need to help it out, usually with some sweets and an occasional jab.

I've tested blood sugar with old fashioned colour changing strips on top of mountains in white-out blizzards, and in force 6 gales in a boat. Not exactly "clean hands" situations but you do what you need to do.

You'll likely go through a grieving period, but believe me, you'll get through it. There was a post a few weeks ago from someone saying we not only survive, but thrive. That's true. There's plenty of stories on here from people going wild camping, walking thousand mile trails over months - all just takes a bit more planning and forethought than your average joe.

You'll be taught carb counting. It's an important skill to learn, a good starting point, but don't obsess about it. After a while you'll learn how to wing it - make an educated guess based on how much carbs are in similar foods and past experience with a meal that size. Example: was in Darjeeling once backpacking, popped into a Tibetan cafe, got some momos, didn't have a clue how many carbs, but, hey, they're kind of like tortellini or ravioli, so just made an educated guess. I mention this because there are many posts from newly dx'd seriously wondering whether they will be able to have snacks, eat out, what if it's not in Carbs & Cals etc. etc. All totally do-able with a bit of experience, which you'll pick up as time goes by.

Those grim stories in books are worth bearing in mind. I was hugely motivated to look after myself by a story in my early days 29 years ago by a young woman who'd paid no attention for five years and was about to go blind. I said to myself that's not going to happen to me. It hasn't. Complications can catch up really quick if you don't pay attention to it, run around in the high teens, twenties for too long, but it doesn't mean you need to live like a monk, far from it. I have a few beers at weekends, do a Chinese buffet, an Indian, but just make a few accomodations - white rice spikes like crazy so not too much of that, but egg noodles fine, maybe just the crispier bits of the naan bread dipped in my lamb jalfrezzi. Get the pre-bolus timing right for a meal (about 20 mins for me) and a few poppadoms, fish pakora, lamb jalfrezzi and naan barely shifts my levels.

T1 will p*ss you off at times, hypos are a dog, but when all's said and done, we're pretty lucky compared to people dx'd before discovery of insulin in 1922.

Best of luck!

PS: if you can afford it, get cgm, like libre, dexcom or medtronic. Being able to see sugars shifting in real time so you can pro-actively take steps to keep in range is almost like cheating compared to strips!
All of that I can relate to and good to know I'm not on my own. I am still in the why me stage and feeling angry when I see folks eating in the street. Daft really but that how its got me lol. But I'm still here to tell the tale. Did you notice in the early days that some day the needles don't hurt then the next omg it's like cutting my arm off... thanks for your support. Jonathan.