Type 1: Pork Scratchings for stable blood sugar - T1??

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Guys - thought I would post to get your thoughts on this one. Ive heard that pork scratchings (one of my most fave treats) is a good nil carb snack for people with diabetes so I thought last night i would have a few periodically after my tea. Results are as follows - before meal BS was 7.5 had 43 carbs consisting of small chicken and mushroom slice, carrots, broccoli and cauliflower and injected my normal dose of insulin - pre bolusing at 30 mins before eating. I would normally rise by about 4 to 6 mmol within the 1st hour and be back at around my pre meal readings at the 2 hour mark which would be normally steady at that may be a little lower at the 4 hr mark. Last night I was a little peckish following my meal so periodically munched out on a little pork scratchings (the puffy type) a few at a time. I kept a close eye on my readings as i use a Freestyle Libre and noted very minimal rise!.. at 1hr post meal my BS had risen steadily to 8.1 mmol (from 7.5) then slowly dropped to 6.9 at 2 hrs then by bed time my BS was 7.7!! - Any thoughts on this?? - could it be the fat content in the scratchings that had delayed the spike even though the amount of scratching eaten was quite minimal? Very happy with the readings but for me this is unheard of. Could this be a marvel of the pork scratchings?? Any thoughts?

Reactions: KezG

LAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yep I've had the same result , although I'm not on meds. I have even made my own pork scratching, recipe online. Got some pork skin from the butcher, then scoured it with a Stanley knife, (new blade), and roasted it at high temperature. Let it cool, then put it into a plastic bag and bash it with a rolling pin !! Delish!!! :dead:

Reactions: DiamondAsh and KezG

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I love pork scratchings too - although I haven't intensely followed/tested my bloods like you but I do find they normally have a 'smoothing' affect or at least a pleasant affect on my numbers - I am now going to have to walk in to town to get some!

I agree it's probably the fat doing it's stuff.

Reactions: smag3, KezG and LAR

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
not so sure about that.. I definitely think they're magic!

Perhaps if you're a diet treated Type 2.

Or, if you were just commenting on their tastiness, then yes, they taste good : )

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
kind of both Azure....

Ok - well, for a Type 1 the thing about pork scratchings is the fat content and its effect on blood sugar and injected insulin. I don't eat pork scratching but I do eat pork crackling, and I see the 'fat effect' there and adjust my bolus.

But that same fat effect is also seen with a number of other fatty foods :)

As I said, it may be different for Type 2s treated by diet : )

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok - well, for a Type 1 the thing about pork scratchings is the fat content and its effect on blood sugar and injected insulin. I don't eat pork scratching but I do eat pork crackling, and I see the 'fat effect' there and adjust my bolus.

They are my only snack food.. well scratchings and nuts.. I consider them an essential nutrient!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a T2 on oral meds but I'd agree with Azure that it's the fat itself (or actually being "fat adapted") that does the magic and keeps my glucose levels steady rather than specifically pork scratchings or the new bacon diet, or whatever.

Robbity

Reactions: azure

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yup, they are magic :)
As is the low carb coffee and walnut cake recommended by @Brunneria .. I've never known "cake" to lower my BG before ! There is quite a high fat content in that too so it's probably the reason. ?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yup, they are magic :)
As is the low carb coffee and walnut cake recommended by @Brunneria .. I've never known "cake" to lower my BG before ! There is quite a high fat content in that too so it's probably the reason. ?

Do you adjust or split your bolus to cover the longer action?

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you adjust or split your bolus to cover the longer action?
Oh sorry I didn't realise I was on a type one thread. I'm unmedicated type 2. I just saw the tasty pork scratchings bit ;)

Reactions: slip

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Guys - thought I would post to get your thoughts on this one. Ive heard that pork scratchings (one of my most fave treats) is a good nil carb snack for people with diabetes so I thought last night i would have a few periodically after my tea. Results are as follows - before meal BS was 7.5 had 43 carbs consisting of small chicken and mushroom slice, carrots, broccoli and cauliflower and injected my normal dose of insulin - pre bolusing at 30 mins before eating. I would normally rise by about 4 to 6 mmol within the 1st hour and be back at around my pre meal readings at the 2 hour mark which would be normally steady at that may be a little lower at the 4 hr mark. Last night I was a little peckish following my meal so periodically munched out on a little pork scratchings (the puffy type) a few at a time. I kept a close eye on my readings as i use a Freestyle Libre and noted very minimal rise!.. at 1hr post meal my BS had risen steadily to 8.1 mmol (from 7.5) then slowly dropped to 6.9 at 2 hrs then by bed time my BS was 7.7!! - Any thoughts on this?? - could it be the fat content in the scratchings that had delayed the spike even though the amount of scratching eaten was quite minimal? Very happy with the readings but for me this is unheard of. Could this be a marvel of the pork scratchings?? Any thoughts?
Hi everybody! :)

My angle is BS wise?
You seemed to just stay (roughly) within a "point six" of when you tested before the meal..?

I love pork scratchings. & believe this are "magic"! They bring all D types together.. There is an aura of harmony in every pig flap... :cool:

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the responses... think ill deffo try those hott pork scratchings:) thanks for that @douglass99 :) I do believe they are magic... must be lol... so much so think i may try fetching Porkletta.. my pet piglet into work and giving her a qick lick now and again see if that works as well !!:):)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaylee and smag3

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
..... Don't forget jaguar's earlobe, badger spleens & wolf nipple chips... Get em while the're hot! ;)

image.jpeg

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Thanks for the info Azure - regarding the 'fat' effect on insulin and blood sugar you mentioned .... As not been on the DAFNE course been trying to find exactly how/why high fat content has a bearing on insulin and can cause a delayed spike. Is it that the fat suppresses the carb absorption which are released at a later time?... or is it that the fat causes insulin resistance? or does the fat just maintain BS levels..??.. if so, would eating a low carb high fat snack in a morning supress the dawn effect? By adjusting bolus for a high fat meal does this mean taking the right insulin dose for the carb but delaying the injection? Reducing the insulin to take account of the fat or increasing the insulin ration but splitting the dose???..... sorry but really confused with the whole fat thing:-(

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump