Type 1 struggling

Emlarr95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi guys, just wanted to say these messages have been really helpful because it has made me realise that I am not the only one feeling the way I feel about having this condition and it's ok to feel down about it sometimes. You're right in saying that we should not let it control us, but for us to control it as it is our life and we should be in control of it.
I'm 20 years old now and have had type one Diabetes since I was 8 almost 9. I am on the insulin pump which makes my life easier so many different ways. Very thankful to have the insulin pump.
I really do feel that talking to others who also have type one Diabetes is what will help in terms of support and lessoning feels of anxiety towards having the condition. I am really glad I have now joined this forum because it is nice to read other opinions from those who are going through the same thing.
Was just wondering if anyone on here feels, like me, anxious due to having Diabetes? I feel like a lot of my worries are linked in with this condition and I feel talking about to will help. Thank you all !

Mel18

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey, I just want to say I completely understand where you're coming from, I was diagnosed myself last October and it came as a massive shock to me, I never expected this to happen, especially being 17 years old and enjoying my teenage life. However, I have managed over the last eight months to get my diabetes under control, I guess in a medical way, yet I feel completely isolated with the condition and I feel like no one understands me and that's the most isolating feeling in the world. Sometimes I wish I had someone to speak to, if you want someone to talk to and complain to, I'll return the favour lol!

Reactions: 2 people

Emlarr95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey, I just want to say I completely understand where you're coming from, I was diagnosed myself last October and it came as a massive shock to me, I never expected this to happen, especially being 17 years old and enjoying my teenage life. However, I have managed over the last eight months to get my diabetes under control, I guess in a medical way, yet I feel completely isolated with the condition and I feel like no one understands me and that's the most isolating feeling in the world. Sometimes I wish I had someone to speak to, if you want someone to talk to and complain to, I'll return the favour lol!
Thank you ever so much! I really appreciate that. Want you to know that you are more than welcome to contact me as well for support or just to have someone to talk to about things. Completely agree! Sometimes we just need someone to talk to who understands what we are going through, even if they don't have the answer themselves. Welcome to message me on here anytime.
It is lovely to know that there are people to talk to who understand :)

novowolf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey :)
Totally get where youre at man.. Only just really come to terms with it myself and ill have had it 7 years this september.. :( It is a HUGE(!) adjustment in your life but like everyone else says it is possible just dont let it spiral completely out of control and make sure you take your insulin :happy: you just have to find a way to cope with it that works for you and make it stick! :)
Novowolf

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey man. I was diagnosed when I was 17. I went out drinking, I smoked weed and partied a lot. My friends did not understand diabetes. They just picked up the pieces when I went hypo. I didn't understand my condition and to tell the truth I didn't want to know. I was in denial and wanted to be normal. It takes time and effort to get it right. I stopped smoking weed after about 15 years of being diabetic and realised it had been having a massive effect on my eating habits. I've had it for 20 years now and have a fairly decent control over it but still have times when I just want to cry about it. It does get easier as time goes on. Research it, but take your time doing that. Don't overload your brain with to much. The only people that can understand are other diabetics. Dr's can talk about hypos all day but will never understand until they've experienced one. Take advantage of all these people offering support and help. They can offer things I wish I had when I was in your shoes. I've been where you are now. I've had lows I hope you never have but I'm bigger and stronger than ever. If you need advice, want to ask a question or just want to chat just give me a shout. I'm more than happy to help.
I cant agree more with this post it echoes my life a lot!!

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed in childhood and didn't mind my condition then...teenage and early adult life was a different matter!! You are not alone, there are plenty of people on here that will relate to you! I did EVERYTHING my mates did regardless!! I paid the price on many occasions but was lucky enough to have good mates! I also found this the hardest time to deal with diabetes and pretty much ignored it and made half hearted attempts at injections when I thought I should! Not the way to go!
I know you are probably not in a position to change your lifestyle with regards to smoking weed and in my experience I think it would be a good idea to set an alarm (before you get stoned) for bedtime, to ensure you take your long acting if that is when you take it or at least test and act before you sleep! This will also give you a chance to do a correction dose for the munchies you have had!
Don't ignore your diabetes, otherwise it will come up and bite you! You are doing great just by trying to help yourself on here and there are loads of people that can give you support! Good luck Pewdiekry

Reactions: 4 people