Type 1 symptoms must be recognised by parents and GPs

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In the news today, nice to see some awareness being raised so that parents may recognise the symptoms. It astounds me however that some GPs don't always recognise the symptoms until the child is critical and I agree that school staff should be made aware of the symptoms as they may be very well placed to notice a child using the toilet more frequently and pick up on symptoms at an early stage. We were lucky that our GP was very quick to identify Jess' symptoms and instructed us to go straight to A&E. She had a 2 day stay in hospital but avoided potentially something much more serious thanks to our GP. I wish I'd known the symptoms of diabetes back then, if I had I'm sure we would have been able to diagnose even earlier than we did.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18458285

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Raising awareness of diabetes and what to watch out for is a good move and one that every parent and school should be aware of, when I had the classic symptoms of thirst, frequent toilet trips and weight loss my parents had no idea that it may have been diabetes, as you say Sophia the earlier it is caught the better it is for the child.

Type1Jim

Diabetes UK and JDRF are 2 charities that are now raising awareness on the symptoms of T1 diabetes. They have launched a video recently that is really good and worth watching. Hopefully this will be distributed to schools etc. The video is available on the Diabetes UK and JDRF websites and also on YouTube.