Type 1: What are your HbA1c test results?

mattr

'effort' theres several lots being auctioned on ebay atm! :p

I was 115 HBA1C - Recently Diagnosed Though

Might have to look out for a home testing kit for myself too!

LaughingHyena

had my hospital appoitment this week, mine latest result is 7.4. In some ways it's not as bad as I thought it might be because I've been ill 2 or 3 times in the last couple of months. However it covers up a lot of out of range results, both hyper and hypo.

I'm changing form lantus to levimir in the next coupld of days in the hope that I can start to even things out a bit.

candyfloss

Dislikes
Processed foods and refined carbohydrates!
mattr said:
'effort' theres several lots being auctioned on ebay atm! :p

I was 115 HBA1C - Recently Diagnosed Though

Might have to look out for a home testing kit for myself too!

I'm not absolutely sure but i think these Bayer home test kits for HbA1c are still not available for sale in the UK despite being on sale in drug stores in the US for years. Seems a bit of a daft policy because I'm sure there could be some demand for them here even at around £18 ($28) per 2 tests. I have to get my cousin there to ship them over to me. I do get annual HbA1c check with my NHS doctor but prefer to monitor it more regularly than that, about every 3 or 4 months. I used to check blood sugar regularly, several times a day like a lot of people, but it became expensive and eventually I discovered what were the good foods and bad ones to avoid.

ruarimac

just joined the forum.
9% in january last year, got pump in May, hit 8.2% (breakout the champange lowest in 6 years) February this year 9% .
Wasnt a happy chappy at all. Back to the drawing board! :-(

SAH154

I had two tests done recently and got great results for the first time
30 & 31 = 4.9%/5.0%

Previously when on insulin was in the 60s 8.0-8.8%

candyfloss

Dislikes
Processed foods and refined carbohydrates!
Well done! Share your secret with us!

SAH154 said:
30 & 31 = 4.9%/5.0%

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
candyfloss said:
Well done! Share your secret with us!

SAH154 said:
30 & 31 = 4.9%/5.0%

He did in another thread it was a pancreas transplant! Hope you and your new pancreas have a long and healthy life SAH154 :thumbup:

SAH154

Yes sorry for not making that clear :oops:

I had a Pancreas only transplant 10 weeks ago

xyzzy said:
He did in another thread it was a pancreas transplant! Hope you and your new pancreas have a long and healthy life SAH154 :thumbup:

Many thanks so far so good and have also lost a stone in weight and no longer have that horrid curse of always feeling hungry due to insulin injections

Emzie-Bub-xo

Just had my HBA1c results and it was 7.7!! I'm so impressed coz last time it was 10! Mind you I was in hospital alot for first 8 weeks of the year! Lol next 1 will tell me for sure how good my control is on my own :) my HBA1c has NEVER been a 7!!

morethanmutts

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jellied eels ;)
hi got mine today
hba1c 52% my last one in ausgust was 8.4, so i think this is better not sure on the new scale tho ? :D

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
morethanmutts said:
hi got mine today
hba1c 52% my last one in ausgust was 8.4, so i think this is better not sure on the new scale tho ? :D
Roughly translating-You're down to about 6.9-7% now!! Good stuff!! :D

andy10r

Hello,

I was diagnosed with T1 in Dec last year, so this diabetes is all very new and confusing!
How do I convert my reading from my meter so that I can works out my HbA1c level ?:problem:

A

Anonymous

andy10r said:
Hello,

I was diagnosed with T1 in Dec last year, so this diabetes is all very new and confusing!
How do I convert my reading from my meter so that I can works out my HbA1c level ?:problem:

It is a blood test done through the Dr, clinic etc. I don`t think your own meter can work it out.

thetallerpaul

Andy,

You HbA1C level is not a reading of a point in time like your meter. It looks at the average over I think 3 months? Its the lifetime of a red blood cell. My DSN told me that my readying of 11.9% was equivalent to being BG in the 20's for the preceding 3 months. Your meter can't do that even if you regularly test.

The test is based on a type of Haemoglobin formed when the haemoglobin in your red blood cells is exposed to sugar in the plasma. Once it is changed to glycerated haemoglobin it stays that way so a higher proportion of this indicates higher incidence of sugars.

I'm pretty sure thats right but Phoenix or one of the other more knowledgable souls on here might be able to explain that better.

Paul

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well just got off the phone to the receptionist.

Last HBA1c in December 2011 at diagnosis was 11.3%

New one for April 2012 35 mmol/mol or 5.3% old style

Go me! :D

Cholesterol

HDL 1.36
LDL 1.89

Total is therefore 3.25

She seemed confused about that. Is it ok?

Last test in December the total was 4.99

thetallerpaul

mmmmmmmm cake!

On that note I made a Almond Flour Cake last night. Absolutely disgusting! Anyone done a good one that can share how to do it?

Have a real cake.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Grazer said:
Great results xyzzy! :clap: Have a cake to celebrate! :lol:

Well I feel GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT!

Thanks especially to you and borofergie for showing me "the T2 way" and all the help and advice you've given me behind the scenes.

I would also like to thank the SWEDISH health service. :lol:

I am especially looking forward to dicussing my results with "Nurse Nightshade" later in the month as I now out rank her by 0.1% :twisted:

I'm also going to enjoy asking her to account for why my low(er) carb LCHF diet has somehow managed to both get me back in the normal weight range in 3 months AND given me normal Cholesterol levels when her NHS regime just made things worse for a year.

I can now seriously think about giving up on the Statins I hope but will discuss with my gp. Just hope he doesn't nick my Metformin.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Congratulations on your latest results xyzzy :thumbup:

xyzzy said:
Cholesterol

HDL 1.36
LDL 1.89

Total is therefore 3.25
Last test in December the total was 4.99

You will need to add in your Trigs to get the total cholesterol mate :thumbup: