Type 1: What are your HbA1c test results?

glucosegirl

Dislikes
diabetes
scottishbrian said:
Mines havent been lower than 12.1 for the last 13 years and Ive recently just found out that it doesnt mean my average BG is 12.1.. that in fact its averaging somewhat higher.. correct???

An HbA1c of 12.1% is an average blood glucose level of 18-20mmol/l.

Revontuli

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Mine is 7.1, the third result during my 1-year Type-1 diabetes. The two previous ones were 6.8-6.9

My doctor said it's fine up until 7.5, but I still can't help feeling disappointed and blaming myself.

Cazz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Latest result is 5.6% (38) down from 6.5%. I've recently gone on thyroid medication which has made it harder to control blood sugar so I'm pleased I've managed 5.6% under the circumstances. Nurse wasn't happy though. She says it's too low so I had to explain it's not due to hypos. I think I'd really get told off if I make it into the 4% club!

tree-peony

well, I am THRILLED!!

Just got my results and I'm down from 113 at diagnosis to 83 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I know there's a way to go but my GP is ecstatic with me and says I'm doing all the right things. PHEW!!!!

bellapodus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't know my latest as my doctor never told me.
I'll ask when I see him in 2 weeks.

raj25

My latest result (July 2012) is 5.8%

May 2011 was 5.4%

Dec 2010 was 6.0%

July 2010 was 7.7%

I do not take meds. Diet and exercise only!

SAH154

Transplant performing well last weeks HBA1C was 31/5%
I seem to have an HBA1C at least once per month and this month have had 3 separate ones and all the results are 30 lowest and 34 highest

Robert Red

Hi Im New to the site.
Question, im on 2 Metformin 3 times a day, 1 Glizadide twice a day, and 30 units of Insulin once a day.
My Hbi1c is 6.2, Does this seem a lot of drugs, or is it normal for type 2s? R.R.

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
Robert Red said:
Hi Im New to the site.
Question, im on 2 Metformin 3 times a day, 1 Glizadide twice a day, and 30 units of Insulin once a day.
My Hbi1c is 6.2, Does this seem a lot of drugs, or is it normal for type 2s? R.R.
Doesn't sound a massive amount robert. Have you been diagnosed a while?

cherri

Hi, ive gotta laugh at everyones readings (not nasty laugh!!) . My first one years ago was 18. The last one i had around two years ago was 9.1 and i thought i was doing really well cos the nurse was really happy with the improvement.,It would be even better now cos i have put alot of effort into testing and adjusting my diet over the last couple of years. I might go and get an appt to get tested again so that i can be the same as everyone else here :oops: .

Lesley

tree-peony

Don't worry Lesley not all of us manage these fabulously low reading! Personally I'm thrilled that I'm finally managing to get most of my readings under 10 (at the moment, anyway!)

TheSugarMan

Hello all

This is my first post on the forums. I was newly diagnosed at the age of 21 on the 25th April this year (3 weeks before my university finals - ideal timing as ever). I don't know what my first HbA1c was upon diagnosis, but I do know that when I went into the walk-in clinic in London my sugars were at 27. They must have been high for a while because I'd lost approximately 10kgs in weight over a period 4-6weeks. Since finishing my exams I've tried to use the summer to tighten my control and get hold of some better kit to assist me. I love my Bayer Contour pen and NovoPen Echo with the memory function and half doses. I'm currently in the midst of the honeymoon period, which kicked in on the night before my first exam (14th May) and sent my blood sugars plummeting. Where I was originally dosing 1:10 on Novorapid and about 16 Lantus I've now been on 8 Lantus and a does of 0.5-2 of Novorapid with each meal for some time (hence the use of the NovoPen Echo, which I highly recommend for anyone struggling during the honeymoon period using low doses).

I've just had my first fair HbA1c which dates back to around the 23rd April which I'm very pleased to report was a 48 (6.5). I find this promising given that I feel I'm now much better than I was back in April and early May. So hopefully whilst I'm still in the honeymoon period I'll be able to reduce this number whilst maintaining very few hypos. Then when my beta cells finally give up I imagine I'll really have to work at my dosing to hold onto the good numbers.

Just as an aside point to anyone who's also newly diagnosed and reading this - I've found it very beneficial going to the gym regularly (I've always been weight training 3-5 times each week). I gave it up initially, for about 2months, because I didn't want to overcomplicate matters with my blood sugars, but since then have picked it up and been more motivated than ever. It's the time of day when I most 'forget' I'm diabetic and can just enjoy myself. It's been a learning curve but I feel it has really helped.

I'll stop going on now, but I'll continue to post over the coming years and have found comfort in reading others' stories whilst coming to terms with the condition.

Thanks for reading

Ricey

TheSugarMan said:
Hello all

This is my first post on the forums. I was newly diagnosed at the age of 21 on the 25th April this year (3 weeks before my university finals - ideal timing as ever). I don't know what my first HbA1c was upon diagnosis, but I do know that when I went into the walk-in clinic in London my sugars were at 27. They must have been high for a while because I'd lost approximately 10kgs in weight over a period 4-6weeks. Since finishing my exams I've tried to use the summer to tighten my control and get hold of some better kit to assist me. I love my Bayer Contour pen and NovoPen Echo with the memory function and half doses. I'm currently in the midst of the honeymoon period, which kicked in on the night before my first exam (14th May) and sent my blood sugars plummeting. Where I was originally dosing 1:10 on Novorapid and about 16 Lantus I've now been on 8 Lantus and a does of 0.5-2 of Novorapid with each meal for some time (hence the use of the NovoPen Echo, which I highly recommend for anyone struggling during the honeymoon period using low doses).

I've just had my first fair HbA1c which dates back to around the 23rd April which I'm very pleased to report was a 48 (6.5). I find this promising given that I feel I'm now much better than I was back in April and early May. So hopefully whilst I'm still in the honeymoon period I'll be able to reduce this number whilst maintaining very few hypos. Then when my beta cells finally give up I imagine I'll really have to work at my dosing to hold onto the good numbers.

Just as an aside point to anyone who's also newly diagnosed and reading this - I've found it very beneficial going to the gym regularly (I've always been weight training 3-5 times each week). I gave it up initially, for about 2months, because I didn't want to overcomplicate matters with my blood sugars, but since then have picked it up and been more motivated than ever. It's the time of day when I most 'forget' I'm diabetic and can just enjoy myself. It's been a learning curve but I feel it has really helped.

I'll stop going on now, but I'll continue to post over the coming years and have found comfort in reading others' stories whilst coming to terms with the condition.

Thanks for reading

Not sure if it's too late but did you let the student services at your University know about your diagnosis? If you're going back or doing resits then you can get extra time and they take you diagnosis in to account when marking your papers and coursework.

TheSugarMan

Yeah I did write a full mitigating circumstances form. Thankfully though our first and second years count for 5/9 of the degree so I was able to get the grade to meet my job offer without the need to take my circumstances into account.

thetallerpaul

Hello all,

I've not been on in a while after some pretty nasty exchanges from the various sides of the low carb debate! However I wanted to come back on to give you all an update on my progress and thank you all for the advice and support I got from this site in the early days of my diagnosis. I was diagnosed earlier this year with an HBA1C of 11.9% and blood sugar of 28mmol. I have been on Insulin now for a few months with the dose gradually increasing as my pancreas shuts down. I'm eating lower carb (not VLC, about 140g per day which my doc and nutritionist are trying to get me to raise).

Just had my first one post treatment at down to 5.6%. I'm not sure what that means for my treatment plan as will be a while till I see the consultant again but maybe they will give me a call to discuss? Kind of doubt it really.

Any thoughts? My thinking is thats not bad for a Type 1. If I was type 2 I might be aiming a bit lower but not sure how safe it would be for me to run much lower with the driving and looking after my daughter I need to do.

Thanks again to all and good luck in your own BG battles.

Peace.

TTP