Type 1: What are your HbA1c test results?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Freema - It's not really about how many carbs you eat, but what you blood glucose levels have been. As long as you keep BG in range then it should not be difficult.
yes I dont spike much as I don´t eat much that spikes, bus a type 2 I have serious bloblems with my overactive liver that produces far too much glucose .
Like today I didn´t eat anything but some cottage cheese, and then did 4.5 hours of intencive excercise and my blood glucose did only go down from 6.0 till 5.3 even though I did burn the highest numbers of calories on a single days excercise today 1750 calories... so I have some Mountains to climb before my levels would be normal on a 2200 calorie diet in the far future...(now today I´ll eat only 1400 calories, as I have used more energy than usual, but tomorrow only 1000 calories..)

I think right at this point diabetes type 1 is different from type 2 at least in the earlier stages

SRO

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had my hba1c today!
Down to 52!!!

Wasn't expecting it to be quite so low (compared to where I've been), but I'm bloody proud of that!

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
4.9 % , so I stay in the 4 % club.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Back down to an HbA1c result of 42mmol/mol, which is 6% in 'old money' - and without anything like the number or severity of hypos I was having pre-pump.

God bless the Freestyle Libre....

:):):)

KezG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tripe, most shellfish.. mussels, cockles etc...
Not been tested since diagnosis in November when it was 139.. I was told this was ''Sky high'' but still don't know how this relates to my current glucose levels which are usually between 5.5 and 10.mmols. Id imagine my Hba1c wouldbe a good bit lower today than it was back in November.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not been tested since diagnosis in November when it was 139.. I was told this was ''Sky high'' but still don't know how this relates to my current glucose levels which are usually between 5.5 and 10.mmols. Id imagine my Hba1c wouldbe a good bit lower today than it was back in November.

A HbA1c of 139 equates to an average blood sugar of 21. But your last hba1c result does not in any way shape or form relate to your current glucose levels. A hba1c test is showing you what your blood sugar was looking like for the previous three months. Your hba1c taken on diagnosis is likely to be your highest because it's measured your levels during a period when you had untreated diabetes. Now you are treating with insulin you should have a bit more control over you blood sugar, whereas before you didn't even know blood sugar was a thing that needed controlling. You should make sure you leave it three months since your last hba1c before getting tested again.

Reactions: KezG

KezG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tripe, most shellfish.. mussels, cockles etc...
Thank you for answering my query @catapillar. With luck my next test will show a decent improvement.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Elaborate please. Do you want the NGSP unit or the new IFCC unit? (which is what all hospitals use now) let me explain the two;
NGSP = %HbA1c | Is the old percentage unit, (less accurate since its percentages) example; 5.1% which mean that you have an average bloodsugar level of 5.4 <---- the unit most people here are answering with.
People before me has answered with that unit, its really odd to be honest, since it was changed so long ago.
IFCC = mmol/mol | Is the new system, more accuracy based, where they use 20 to 110 instead of percentages.

I use the new system, so.... 32, which in NGSP units is 5.1%
Been slacking ._.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Elaborate please. Do you want the NGSP unit or the new IFCC unit? (which is what all hospitals use now) let me explain the two;
NGSP = %HbA1c | Is the old percentage unit, (less accurate since its percentages) example; 5.1% which mean that you have an average bloodsugar level of 5.4 <---- the unit most people here are answering with.
People before me has answered with that unit, its really odd to be honest, since it was changed so long ago.
IFCC = mmol/mol | Is the new system, more accuracy based, where they use 20 to 110 instead of percentages.

I use the new system, so.... 32, which in NGSP units is 5.1%
Been slacking ._.

You can answer with whatever unit you like. Many people use both.

For many people, the older unit is more memorable/relevant to their targets. It's just like the way many people happily use centimetres and metres in daily life, but might still give their height as 5 foot 10 or whatever in the UK.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You can answer with whatever unit you like. Many people use both.

For many people, the older unit is more memorable/relevant to their targets. It's just like the way many people happily use centimetres and metres in daily life, but might still give their height as 5 foot 10 or whatever in the UK.

Okay, fair enough ^.^ Thanks for responding!

leking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just got mine back after 4 weeks on the libre.

45/6.3

The previous one prior to the libre was 53/7.0.

That doesn't tell the whole story though.. My management used to be full of massive highs and lows, now days go by without me going over 8mmol..

In 3 months when I test again, hopefully it'll drop again after a full 3 months on this fantastic machine!

.gurley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
What are your H test results?

Mine is 7.1mmol

Been getting good figures recently with a 5.0 or 30 depending on conversion and have maintained between 5.0 and 6.0 for over two years now. On Medtronic pump with CGM works very well but you end up kind of married to it wearing 24/7, but if it keeps me healthy and live a longer life its good!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sibyl