Type 1 with a serious ED

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i think you really need to be honest about it with your family. its just another illness that you have to deal with. its not a dirty secret any more than your diabetes is. its brave to be facing up to it. like any addiction/disorder the first step is recognizing it the next is wanting to change. the third is do so. so you see your well on your way. i mentioned the family so someone yo trust could insure your putting it into yourself. maybe a different type where you only inject once or twice maybe better.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Any illness with eating disorders like diabulimia are very difficult for NHS to treat you.

It is very difficult to get into any eating disorder clinic. Very difficult and very few clinics.

The trouble is with any ED Clinic that admits the person is that certain items are banned, and you do get room searches... so items like insulin and pens have to be supervised. Their staff do not know how to handle diabetes as well.

A lot of time is spent with psychologists and art therapists and meals are very strictly monitored. The people monitoring do not have the diabetes indepth knowledge that you specifically need first....

You need help more along with issues around injecting and hiding your actions... but an eating disorder unit which accepts in patients would be unlikely to be able to manage the diabetes aspect.

Please speak to your family first. Take this step first. Do it at a suitable time at a table, not on a sofa... you can do this but you need support from your family. They will help you, they wont understand totally. Nobody can understand the true depths of your thoughts and actions. They may say wrong things, but they are there for you...

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @staycee_xx I think it's time you told your family exactly what's going on, may be part of this is the shame you feel in what you're doing and this has stopped you from being open about it ?

Imagine a great weight lifted off your shoulders ?

I know it's hard enough managing with the stresses of life, then a constant needy condition, but finding ways to relieve the stress of what you're doing which starts with talking and being honest, you may be surprised at their reaction, but you will feel relief at that fact you've told them and ultimately it will bring you all closer too, families are there to support each other and you sound like you need your family right now, so I hope you find the courage to tell them and please let us know how you get on ?

Reactions: staycee_xx

nessals946

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you.
The problem I have at the moment is that I know its dangerous and stupid but at the moment the thought of injecting and ‘Absorbing’ my binge calories outweighs this and wins all the time.
Hopefully attending a clinic will change my thinking x
Im in a cycle of losing weight and putting it back on straight away,my size varies from 8 -12 on a regular basis.Im a binge eater but i do take the insulin for the food,i hate being high.Ive often thought about skipping insulin to keep my weight down but havent been brave enough to do it.
Im not a naturally thin person and i hate how easy it is for me to gain weight.I have always hated the idea of a pump but if it helped control my weight/eating then i would certainly look into it a bit more.

emmacheasty

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Staycee, thank you for sharing this with us and also seeking help.... as im sure you realise now you are not alone. I would agree with the posts that suggested low carb diets and exercise.... you can then minimise the insulin you do give yourself.....IE enough to keep your baseline ok... but do it regularly and keep you out of hospital. Ultimately you do need access to a service that recognises the severity of T1ED.... sadly many hospitals dont....but maybe they need us to educate them! I have had T1 for 33 years and T1ED for 27 years.... its a continuous battle and i struggle daily.....no fix it answer sadly other than addressing the mental health stimulus.... an ongoing project sending you a big hug xx