Type 1 working on a cruise ship?

timhawkfs40

Hey everyone

Was just wondering is it possible for a type 1 diabetic to work on a cruise ship as say in a security guard or cleaner role? I was just wondering what medical they would have to have as I don't think it would be ENG1 for these roles? I also am a volunteer on lifeboats so know all about managing my sugars at sea ect..... Would be nice to get some feed back and if possible has anyone on here done or still work on them?

Thanks everyone :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
No experience of working on cruise ships but I can't see why they'd be a problem if your diabetes is well controlled, contact the main Cruise Ship Companies and ask them if any restrictions apply.

Tug1970

No sorry you can not go to sea in any capacity
I you are a diabetic. I failed my medical for being
A type two. You could have a look at the medical standards of the MCA but in a true it will still be a no

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Check with Diabetes UK, they have experts in the law on these issues.
Hana

snowy_barks

I know that a type 2 can hold an ENG 1. I only think it is a problem if they are insulin dependent.

It may be possible on case by case basis for a type 1 - suggest that you contact your local ENG1 registered doctor and speak to them.

these links may help [urlhttp://www.amt-uk.org/pdf/eyesight.pdf][/url]

MyNameIsAlex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a type 1 diabetic, recently diagnosed and I had an interview for a cruise ship job in October, last year. I got the job and a few days ago I've received my embarkation date, for May. The problem is that nobody knows about my medical issue so I hope it won't be an impediment. I really want to work on a cruise ship and I was very excited when I heard that I got the job. Please God, help me, I really want to be a waiter on a ship because it will be a life experience, I will gain work experience, I will make new friends, I will improve my english and maybe I'll learn another language(s) and I'll visit a lot of exotic places, which, if I wouldn't have received this job, I couldn't ever been able to visit.

So, my question is: Is there anyone who has worked on a cruise ship, even if he/she is a T1 diabetic?

As you can see, my english is not very good, so please excuse my grammatical mistakes.

Last edited by a moderator:

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I saw in one of your previous posts that this is a cruise ship based in the USA. Is that correct?

Here in the US, we have anti-discrimination laws and the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) that prevent people from being discriminated against because of their disability (yes, diabetes is considered a disability). In most cases, you're asked whether or not you have a disability and you have the option to say "yes," "no," or "I do not wish to answer."

With that said, working on a cruise ship and not being a US citizen is a difference circumstance, and one I'm not familiar with. Practically speaking, there should be no issues with you working on the ship as long as you're well controlled. However, someone on the boat needs to be aware that you have diabetes in the event your life was ever at risk.

Having been on multiple cruise ships (for vacation not work) I do know that they have a pretty respectable nursing station. 12-15 years ago I had an asthma attack on a cruise ship but couldn't find my inhaler. Fortunately, they had one within their basic pharmacy on board.

MyNameIsAlex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, it is correct. This cruise line company is based in Miami, Florida.
I don't know a thing about that anti-discrimination law but last summer I wanted to apply to a job in a hotel, everything was perfect during the interview until they heard I am a diabetic. They didn't want to hire me even if I have some experience in hospitality industry. I am from Romania.

MyNameIsAlex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just talked with a doctor who told me that I won't have any chances to be accepted when they will find out I am a type 1 diabetic. I didn't find anything related to diabetics in the company policy. What can I do in this case? It is a discrimination case. I just don't want to accept the idea that I will never be able to work on a cruise ship.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I've just talked with a doctor who told me that I won't have any chances to be accepted when they will find out I am a type 1 diabetic. I didn't find anything related to diabetics in the company policy. What can I do in this case? It is a discrimination case. I just don't want to accept the idea that I will never be able to work on a cruise ship.

Why don't you just cut to the chase and inform the company of your diabetes, if there's nothing in their company policy to exclude type 1's from working on cruise ships then there's a good chance they don't.

Stubass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am a type 1 diabetic, recently diagnosed and I had an interview for a cruise ship job in October, last year. I got the job and a few days ago I've received my embarkation date, for May. The problem is that nobody knows about my medical issue so I hope it won't be an impediment. I really want to work on a cruise ship and I was very excited when I heard that I got the job. Please God, help me, I really want to be a waiter on a ship because it will be a life experience, I will gain work experience, I will make new friends, I will improve my english and maybe I'll learn another language(s) and I'll visit a lot of exotic places, which, if I wouldn't have received this job, I couldn't ever been able to visit.

So, my question is: Is there anyone who has worked on a cruise ship, even if he/she is a T1 diabetic?

As you can see, my english is not very good, so please excuse my grammatical mistakes.

I know I'm replying late to this but I needed to be heard (or read?). I worked on cruise ships from 2001 up until 2006 when I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I thought that was the end of my career on ships until 2013 when I decided to pursue it again. I applied via an agent to get a job with an American company (Royal Caribbean). I was able to get a medical with certain conditions and when I finally got to the ship I was looked after very well by the I medical team. Royal has a very good wellness program for their crew. I can't speak for other cruise lines and I may have problems obtaining a ENG 1 here in the UK. I'm a musician so my duties aren't as hectic or demanding.

mc9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes, it is correct. This cruise line company is based in Miami, Florida.
I don't know a thing about that anti-discrimination law but last summer I wanted to apply to a job in a hotel, everything was perfect during the interview until they heard I am a diabetic. They didn't want to hire me even if I have some experience in hospitality industry. I am from Romania.
I think you could sue for that

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey everyone

Was just wondering is it possible for a type 1 diabetic to work on a cruise ship as say in a security guard or cleaner role? I was just wondering what medical they would have to have as I don't think it would be ENG1 for these roles? I also am a volunteer on lifeboats so know all about managing my sugars at sea ect..... Would be nice to get some feed back and if possible has anyone on here done or still work on them?

Thanks everyone :D
Hi Tim,

I'm a marine electrician (currently working in the ferry sector) so I'm in a similar situation to you:)

You will have a restriction on your ENG1 medical for "UK near coastal (or whatever country which the vessel is coastal to) or vessel with a ship's doctor". You will also be exempt from "solo lookout duties"; but this won't be applicable to you as a security guard or steward. All cruise vessels should have a doctor, so you will be fine providing that the MCA approved Dr who issues your ENG1 is happy with your management of type 1 diabetes. He/she issuing your medical will probably also request documented evidence of all your results too.

The ENG1 medical certificate is an international standard, so regardless of your location - the cert is valid providing you stay within the criteria outlined above.

I just renewed mine on the 4th November and it's validity is for the usual 2 years.

Any further questions then don't hesitate to ask:)

Last edited:

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No sorry you can not go to sea in any capacity
I you are a diabetic. I failed my medical for being
A type two. You could have a look at the medical standards of the MCA but in a true it will still be a no
I'm afraid this is not true.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

@MyNameIsAlex,

I had initially replied to your post but have since deleted it, as I had completely misread what you had written; my apologies...

You must make your employer aware of your diabetes so that you can get things sorted out before your joining date. The more time you give, the better chance you have of getting everything sorted before joining.

Have you completed a medical?