Type 2 60 year old

grimupnorth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all ..

Great forum and great posts from lovely folk. Just want share my experience in case it helps others.

Was diagnosed end Jan with Type 2 hb1ac of 65.
Appointment made 3 days later to see nurse who was fantastic and wanted me to undertake a diet controlled initial approach. My wife went with me to listen to available food and drink recommendations and understand the low carb concept.

We really hit it head on sticking to 120 carbs a day.
For the guys who like a drink I changed from lager to Guinness and from wine to a small whiskey.
We have lived on salad of all sorts with spicy chicken, steaks and fish especially smoked haddock, cod loin in butter, I always have 2 eggs for breakfast fried, omelette and scrambled.

My favourite meal served by my wife is chicken stuffed with ham and mozzarella with hot spicy tomato sauce and asparagus.

Got to say I have loved the diet and only occasionally missed fish and chips or a takeaway.

Within a month my reading went down to hb1ac 53
To date 4 months on it's now 37 and reversed having lost 2 stone.

Best wishes to everyone living with this awful condition and try to understand that there are positives to had with a lifestyle change.

Pete

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all ..

Great forum and great posts from lovely folk. Just want share my experience in case it helps others.

Was diagnosed end Jan with Type 2 hb1ac of 65.
Appointment made 3 days later to see nurse who was fantastic and wanted me to undertake a diet controlled initial approach. My wife went with me to listen to available food and drink recommendations and understand the low carb concept.

We really hit it head on sticking to 120 carbs a day.
For the guys who like a drink I changed from lager to Guinness and from wine to a small whiskey.
We have lived on salad of all sorts with spicy chicken, steaks and fish especially smoked haddock, cod loin in butter, I always have 2 eggs for breakfast fried, omelette and scrambled.

My favourite meal served by my wife is chicken stuffed with ham and mozzarella with hot spicy tomato sauce and asparagus.

Got to say I have loved the diet and only occasionally missed fish and chips or a takeaway.

Within a month my reading went down to hb1ac 53
To date 4 months on it's now 37 and reversed having lost 2 stone.

Best wishes to everyone living with this awful condition and try to understand that there are positives to had with a lifestyle change.

Pete
Well done @grimupnorth!
I have also got to an HbA1c of 38 with LC but I have trouble avoiding beer, so I am interested in your change from lager to Guinness. What was the reasoning? I have tried testing my BG after various beers but the results have been too inconsistent to deduce anything.

Reactions: grimupnorth

grimupnorth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Mr Pot well the first thing is Guinness is a lot less carbs, it's also better for you than lager in so many ways, now it might be that I'm suited to it more than others but the proof is in the pudding as they say. And we'll done to you too ..