Type 2 after GDM?

Kate1984

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Morning all,

New to the forum and reaching out in the hopes of getting advice (I think, I'm not sure just very confused and scared)

I think I have been very silly, almost 7 years ago I gave birth to my first son and at 28 weeks was diagnosed with GDM. Metformin commenced and BS all good. I never had my follow up at 6 weeks PP. 18 months later I had his younger brother again GDM and same routine as before. Again never went for the follow up...

3 years ago I had my youngest and this time I was rather unstable, insulin and BS all over the place felt very unwell which landed me in hospital with a perm baby and her in special care. My finger was pricked the morning after I had her and told I'm fine it's gone. Since then I have blamed my PCOS and Fibromyalgia for my fatigue, extreme thirst, shaking and fuzzy head after eating and needing a tiddle too often.

Yesterday I finally went for a fasting blood test in the morning and was told off royally! I was told I'm irresponsible and as my bmi is higher than what it should be how I've been slowly killing myself. I do not have the results yet and was told I may not hear for 2 weeks. Apparently I have a huge chance of being type 2. Did anybody get diagnosed after having GDM? How long did you wait for results? As it's looking likely does that mean I need to do low carb? The last time I did Atkins I had severe migraines and I'm scared to do it again. I'm very scared at the minute and not sure what to do with myself.

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Hi Kate, don't be scared there are people here who can help. I'm tagging @azure for you, I've not experienced gestational diabetes but there are many women here who have had successful pregnancies and deliveries. Good luck pet x

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Kate1984 :)

First of all, don't blame yourself. You've done the right thing now and that's all that matters :)

Yes, having GD does increase your chances of getting Type 2. I think the figures are something like 50% of women with GD will go on to develop Typr 2 in the next 10-15 years. It's often just bad luck. You mentioned PCOS and that can increase your chances too.

Don't panic. Watch your diet - try to avoid eating too many carbs - and wait to see what the blood test says. If you're feeling really rough, do speak to the surgery and see if they can do a fingerprick test or offer advice.

Don't worry. Even if you have diabetes, It can be controlled :) You're not alone :)

Reactions: 13lizanne

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think most people (including doctors) are getting this the wrong way round….

I think of Type 2 being that our body needs more insulin then “normal” to cope with high curb food, but for very long time our body can keep BG (blood sugar) under control well enough that we don’t show up as Type 2 on the tests the NHS do.

Then along comes the baby making your body works much harder, and the Type 2 become visible to the blood sugar tests, it is then called GDM. Then after birth the Type2 is no longer visible to the blood sugar tests and you are told you are OK.

(Until the NHS start testing insulin levels in people with normal BG we will not know the true extent of Type2.)

The good news is that there is a lot we can do so as to reduce our ”insulin insensitivity” and controlling the amount of curbs we eat allows us to live a healthy live even with high insulin insensitivity.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@ringi It's the placental hormones that cause the insulin resistance and GD. Not all ladies with GD will go on to develop Type 2 :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Many people experience unpleasant effects doing Atkins because they have a summary of how to do it, a list of foods and the barest instructions. it is treated as some rigid set of rules rather than a way to understand what works for you.
If you eliminate sugary foods and the usual suspects of starchy foods and eat more salads you should feel a lot better after eating. You probably just need to take the pressure off, not do Induction levels.
Don't worry - Atkins has caused my very bad diabetes to simply fade away. If I have to eat as though I am half way through Ongoing Weight Loss for the rest of my life, I won't complain - it is great.
I am quite content to have shrimp salad, strawberries and cream and a couple of squares of high cocoa chocolate at lunchtime, followed by coffee with cream. It feels very indulgent.
If you get hold of a blood glucose meter it is a great help as it shows you what you can and can't eat. If you combine Atkins food lists and meter readings it should show you how to feel better.

Reactions: ringi