Type 2 and early pregnancy

Sugarfiend

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all,

I'm trying to find out if very early pregnancy can cause lower glucose levels than normal.

I suspect I may be pregnant after 2 live births, a miscarriage and chemical pregnancy.

I currently take novamix 30 am and pm and haven't changed anything diet wise or anything else but I'm getting lower than normal readings and maybe having 1 or 2 hypos a day. Admittedly I haven't been well controlled over recent years but I'm trying to conceive again and just wondering if conception would cause lower than normal levels

Tia, emma

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Sugarfiend :)

Yes, early pregnancy can cause lower levels and hypos. It varies for each lady slightly, but I found my levels very early on we're higher than normal, then the lows started at around 6-8 weeks maybe.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you look through this Pregnancy section, you'll find other threads from ladies who suspect they might be pregnant and ladies who are definitely pregnant reporting back on BS levels in early pregnancy :)

Sugarfiend

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @Sugarfiend :)

Yes, early pregnancy can cause lower levels and hypos. It varies for each lady slightly, but I found my levels very early on we're higher than normal, then the lows started at around 6-8 weeks maybe.

Hi @azure
Thanks for replying, I would only be maybe 22 days since lmp and I've got a cold. I just wanted to check as I'm sure the diabetes team told me illness could raise BS levels but mine seem to keep dropping lately. Especially last night was having a bad day and ate half a deep pan frozen pizza and fries. Had my usual dose of insulin, before dinner I was 12.1 (high I know) after 2 hours it was down to 7.9 which is very unusual for me. I'll have a look on the pregnancy section. Thanks.

Reactions: azure

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd act as though you were pregnant (avoid alcohol, etc) just in case, and test as soon as you can @Sugarfiend

Obviously, test your BS frequently too if you're reading lower than expected.

Keep us updated :)

Sugarfiend

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I don't drink or smoke anymore after my miscarriage in July

Had this today.. don't know if I'm seeing lines or not either way I'm not getting excited

Attachments

• Collage 2017-09-12 13_02_11.jpg
    Collage 2017-09-12 13_02_11.jpg
    387.3 KB · Views: 268

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't drink or smoke anymore after my miscarriage in July

Had this today.. don't know if I'm seeing lines or not either way I'm not getting excited

I can see a faint line there too possibly.

If it was me, I'd retest on the day your period is due. I speak from experience - early pregnancy tests aren't always reliable.nthat doesn't mean yours is wrong - just that I always like to contain my excitement until I'm sure.