Type 2 and penile prothesis

Serpico

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am am a 56 year old with type 2, I had a Titan touch three piece device fitted in March this year, I managed to get off all medication, metformin and glyklazide, prior to my operation I even got a letter of congratulation from my consultant, I've had a further two corrective ops sinceMarch to correct various problems created by the op, I followed Jason Fung and Diet Doctor pretty closely prior to my operation, unfortunately I am back on my meds again, my question is I want off my meds and feel very much alone in terms of support from my GP, they seem pretty doubtful of my previous success with my low carb high fat, fasting diet, I would appreciate any help in the monitoring and indeed start process of what I should be doing in terms of monitoring my blood glucose and intake of medication and increased exercise, I know my low carb high fat, fasting lifestyle worked, but would really appreciate any guidance in getting stated again, should my GP be helping me? It's really the monitoring getting started medication bit I'm concerned about, I'm happy to discuss my implant, process, before and after if any of the members need information or have questions.
Regards Serpico

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When you say you are back on your medication which medication and why?
If you were diet controlled only why did you stop?
I'm afraid GP's are often unsure about LCHF way of eating as it will put them out of business...

Reactions: Grateful

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the conversation (I say that because this seems to be your first post although you've been a member for 3 years).

You have given a lot of useful information but I was wondering if you could give us an example of what you eat during a typical day?

As for whether your GP should be helping you: Of course. But it was my experience that even with a supportive GP, I personally had to do most of the "heavy lifting" when it came to diet. Unfortunately that included just about all of the educational process.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I know.. but no harm in checking.. looks like he's gone to bed anyway..

Makes sense. My first reaction was that after the multiple surgeries, a loss in diet discipline is understandable. So if I were him, there is no point worrying about it and this would be the time to get back into the frame of mind from when he started the successful low-carb treatment.

@Serpico: We all (well, almost all) have lapses. That's just "water under the bridge" now. Can you remember the motivation and drive that helped you adopt the low-carb option last time? Are there obstacles to it now?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
What I did was pull out a fresh new diabetes diary.
Filled in my meds and my targets. Filled in stages I was aiming for as seeing it in black and white made the change real, for me.
Filled in when I lapsed and what with. I later discovered my oartner was a feeder so I put in an action plan for him to only purchase low carb foods.
My diaries as full of writing but a great help to reducing my meds, slowly and safely.

Serpico

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not in bed yet!
My meds were metformin and glyklazide, as to what I eat in a typical day, prior to diet doctor and this forum I was in denial, I'll get to that at some point! Was my attitude, well I've got to it now but with all the life altering problems, feet, eyes and of course that unmentionable penis problem, not now after my op honest!but what a price to pay for eating ****! All the whites and processed foods that are freely available were my norm, I'm glad I I discovered diet doctor through this forum, and as bulkbiker says, I've done most of the research myself, my experience with my GP in general have been as doubting Thomas's , they seem unwilling to accept the concept of Jason Fungs research, pretty ironic really given that some of his research is based on west of Scotland data, where I'm based, it's a clap on the head and keep taking the pills approach,I asked for a dietician appointment in August 2015 and March this year I'm still waiting, my GPs response in March this year was to say that she would make a case for me to see the dietician, still waiting! I'm pretty clued up in terms of exercise food type in GI and load but I'd like some guidance on the management of coming off the medication, in mid January this year I started the low carb high fat diet. (lifestyle ) I started walking eventually up 15 miles a day knowing I was going into hospital, I really adhered to lifestyle changes food exercise etc and came off my medication, I was having hypos eventually, I was a serial blood checker, waking, exercise,at rest at bed, after toilet in both formats! I knew how my body reacted to most inputs and outputs, my consultant congratulated me in my HB1c levels but recond I should have done this life change with my GPs guidance, me too! I'd really appreciate any advice in the management of coming off meds this time, I've recovered enough to start exercise again. Please feel free to ask any questions relating to my implant and that word impotence! It's good to talk! I'm sure I'm the only man at 56 that's experienced this ? .
Regards
Serpico

Serpico

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Makes sense. My first reaction was that after the multiple surgeries, a loss in diet discipline is understandable. So if I were him, there is no point worrying about it and this would be the time to get back into the frame of mind from when he started the successful low-carb treatment.

@Serpico: We all (well, almost all) have lapses. That's just "water under the bridge" now. Can you remember the motivation and drive that helped you adopt the low-carb option last time? Are there obstacles to it now?
Hi Grateful
Motivation for doing something ! Was overweight,sweaty, bad eyesight,sore feet, and that problem! The barrier to continuing in my positive lifestyle choice post surgery was me being bedridden for three months after surgery. That's another topic but certainly connected to my diabetes.

Serpico

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When you say you are back on your medication which medication and why?
If you were diet controlled only why did you stop?
I'm afraid GP's are often unsure about LCHF way of eating as it will put them out of business...
Hi bulkbiker
Thanks for the comments and info, I stopped my lchf lifestyle as I was bedridden and in real pain, serious nerve damage after surgery, you know I tend to agree with your observations relating to GPs any way onward and upwards this time, on a qaud now not stable enough for my two wheels!

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Grateful
Motivation for doing something ! Was overweight,sweaty, bad eyesight,sore feet, and that problem! The barrier to continuing in my positive lifestyle choice post surgery was me being bedridden for three months after surgery. That's another topic but certainly connected to my diabetes.

I totally understand and the same thing would have happened to me in that situation. Diabetes is tough enough, even when other things aren't going on.

It sounds like you may be suffering from depression. Have you discussed that with a doctor? Motivation is hard to come by if one is also "under the weather" in this way.

(This is just my own "2 cents" as they say here in America.)

Serpico

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What I did was pull out a fresh new diabetes diary.
Filled in my meds and my targets. Filled in stages I was aiming for as seeing it in black and white made the change real, for me.
Filled in when I lapsed and what with. I later discovered my oartner was a feeder so I put in an action plan for him to only purchase low carb foods.
My diaries as full of writing but a great help to reducing my meds, slowly and safely.
Hi ickihun
Thanks for the info, I don't know if I would be disciplined enough to creat the diary but a good idea, I started with a few scraps of paper early on and progressed to the full lchf diet pretty quickly in fact I was taking virtually no carbs with positive outcomes I even started fasting on a regular basis again with great outcomes, perhaps a more slower approach for me this time!
Regards
Serpico

Serpico

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I totally understand and the same thing would have happened to me in that situation. Diabetes is tough enough, even when other things aren't going on.

It sounds like you may be suffering from depression. Have you discussed that with a doctor? Motivation is hard to come by if one is also "under the weather" in this way.

(This is just my own "2 cents" as they say here in America.)
Hi Grateful

Not this week!

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Grateful

Not this week!

Assuming you mean that you don't think you are suffering from depression, my suggestion would be to try to remember how you became motivated to do low-carb last time around.

In my case it was because my doctor advised it ... and because I was scared, frankly. Those were both powerful motivations for what is, after all, an enormous change in lifestyle. You know that it worked last time around, so what do you think "did the trick" back then?

Serpico

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Assuming you mean that you don't think you are suffering from depression, my suggestion would be to try to remember how you became motivated to do low-carb last time around.

In my case it was because my doctor advised it ... and because I was scared, frankly. Those were both powerful motivations for what is, after all, an enormous change in lifestyle. You know that it worked last time around, so what do you think "did the trick" back then?
I think like you being scared of the health implications and the damage that had been done to my body during my period of denial, coupled with the fact that I'm not getting any younger and as you are no doubt aware the time that a diabetic takes to heal it really was time to act, I had always been fit up 45 years of age and then I stopped all training, and was suffering in all departments. It is really only in the past couple of weeks I have felt able to start exercising again and the obvious for me is the lchf, fasting again.

It's 24.21 here, if you post tonight I'll reply tomorrow .

Regards

Reactions: Grateful

Serpico

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think like you being scared of the health implications and the damage that had been done to my body during my period of denial, coupled with the fact that I'm not getting any younger and as you are no doubt aware the time that a diabetic takes to heal it really was time to act, I had always been fit up 45 years of age and then I stopped all training, and was suffering in all departments. It is really only in the past couple of weeks I have felt able to start exercising again and the obvious for me is the lchf, fasting again.

It's 24.21 here, if you post tonight I'll reply tomorrow .

Regards
Did I really do that! It's now 00.42 sorry

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is really only in the past couple of weeks I have felt able to start exercising again and the obvious for me is the lchf, fasting again.

It sounds like you are ready for it. Coming to this forum might help, because we are here to support you as you re-start a familiar process. It is not easy at the beginning, and maybe even harder "the second time" if circumstances have forced you "off the wagon" (and your circumstances are extreme and totally understandable).

Just shout whenever you need help, we're here.