Type 2 : CHRISTMAS TREATS

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My Christmas treat...........tickle off and live on a desert island in mid-June when the first fluffy-beast adverts appear on TV for things I neither want nor can afford and certainly don't need. Bah humbug......
So hear it iiis merry christmas.......

Reactions: VioletViolet

Ajax

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I keep to my food plan ..as I otherwise set myself a ✻bad✻ precedent.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
View attachment 24514 Oh so tempting.. A pork scratching advent calendar. Strange how a year or so ago I would habe found these so disgusting, but following advice of certain people, (you know who you are) they now seem irresistible.
Oh Santa....I want one! Ha ha

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
05520978adbb62bdf1a992d2b359606d.jpg

Got mine too :)
Santa can I be greedy and have this one too for the boys! ;)

Reactions: wolfie53

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The pork scratchings advent calendar I saw in a local deli. You can get them online too. If I had one of these, and a cheese one, I would gladly take them off to a remote island for the months of December, and January, to do a sort of fast.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My proposed menu - much the same as alll my low carb Christmas dinners so far:
  • smoked salmon with cream cheese and chives
  • roast turkey or duck breast with homemade cranberry sauce, roast celeriac, sprouts cooked in butter and nutmeg with a little pancetta, and maybe a few chestnuts instead of celeriac
  • "cheat" black forest gateaux - boozy black cherries with chocolate muffin & cream
It's all food I really enjoy, and I've not actually missed the additional tradtional high carb foods - last time I tried a mince pie it actually tasted vile... :eek:

Robbity
PS The firsr time I tried making a low carb stuffing, it worked perfectly, but I wasn't able to reproduce it so gave up... But I may have another go.

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cycling, Exercise Classes
Christmas - I am planning on a roast dinner with a small roast potato, a small yorkshire pud, lots of veg and a small amount of gravy - it is Christmas and as a meal I do not think it is that bad - it will be sticking to the one yorkshire that will be hard.
I used to love mince pies so I have printed out the low carb option and will be trying the pastry made with almond flour and the mincemeat made with rhubarb - I do hope they are delicious.............

I hope you all have a lovely Christmas and enjoy the day as much as possible - just not going to work for me is a bonus.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Nuts have been out of my diet for a while but I'm sure I can find some crazy ones for xmas.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I know someone very very well who should cater for us low carbers, cheese wise. He normally only caters hotels and restaurants.
I must get him on side. A little side line?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I saw that...so I'm going to get 25x 70pence packets from local shop!!
Yup, so I left it on the shelf at the deli, along with the gin advent calendar, that my daughter would have liked, that cost £125.
Bah humug!

Whatever happened to the advent calendars like those I got as a kid, which just had a little picture behind each window? The anticipation of Christmas day being enough reward?

Bah humbugging my way from this thread, as I am aware it is for the purpose of treats, not my miserly good old days nostalgia.:bag:;)

Though I will maybe get some pork rind to make my own porky scatchings, though I doubt I would be able to limit to one or two small pieces a day.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
This thread may come in useful for xmas food info @welshgirl2228

I'll stop giving you more info but make a new thread anytime for any concerns, we're a great bunch. In your time, it has to be.
Hubby may make his own enquires with friends. Some men prefer just over hearing what they want to know.
Low carbing is great fun. Breakfasts fit for a king. (Salmon and asparagus on protein toast) ha ha

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 371625

I was diagnosed just before last year, which did limit my food enjoyment somewhat. However, several months being disciplined eating 100-120g carbs a day with plenty of exercise have seen 6 stones disappear together with good BG control (Hba1c 32, FBG average 4.3) without medication. I now eat 170-180g carbs a day so have plenty of scope for food fun over the period without busting my diet.
My biggest miss last year was panettone, served with a generous glass of marsala, so this year I will be treating myself a bit. I bake it myself so will reduce sugars a bit (I do still like sweet food but my definition of sweet has changed with my taste buds and I am now very sensitive to any sugar).
Even so, a reasonable piece will have about 50g of carbs, so I will have this just before a bracing walk of an hour or so. Extra carby food will be balanced with all the meat and cheese snacks to keep overall food levels similar.