Type 2 diabetic, can symptoms be same as type 1?

Cat72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I'm a newly diagnosed diabetic type 2 with no meds as nurse wants to see how I get on with the weight loss before putting me on insulin tablets. I've been feeling tired, sick and dizzy, with shaking, it is not connected with the warm weather we've been having in U.K. But I just wondered can type two be mistaken for type one? Has anyone else experienced this? Will I need to actually go on insulin injections?

Reactions: Kevin259

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is no such thing as insulin tablets, there are other oral diabetic medication, like metformin.

The symptoms of type 1 diabetes are the 4Ts:
  • Thirst - excessive unquenchable thirst
  • Tiredness - exhaustion
  • Toilet - excessive urination, getting up in the night to wee
  • Thin - dramatic, untried for weight loss
Other symptoms of type 1 would include vision changes, excessive hunger and thrush.

The symptoms of type 2 and type 1 are similar. The key difference in type 1 would be the weight loss.

On diagnosis a type 1 would tend to have higher blood sugar levels (30+) and is more likely to have ketones.

It is possible for type 1 to be misdiagnosed as type 2. Things that would suggest a misdiagnosis would be inability to control blood sugar on diet and oral meds and untried for weight loss. If you are concerned about a misdiagnosis tests that can help with determining type of diabetes would be a cpeptide test (to see if you are producing insulin) and a GAD test (to see if you have the antibodies associated with autoimmune type 1 diabetes).

Cat72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am unaware that insulin tablets even exist

What tests were you given and what were the results. They differ between types 1 and 2.
Metformin, should have said that, two glucose fasting blood tests, hba1c, blood sugars levels were 60 I'm still learning about this.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I'm a newly diagnosed diabetic type 2 with no meds as nurse wants to see how I get on with the weight loss before putting me on insulin tablets. I've been feeling tired, sick and dizzy, with shaking, it is not connected with the warm weather we've been having in U.K. But I just wondered can type two be mistaken for type one? Has anyone else experienced this? Will I need to actually go on insulin injections?

Some Type 1s are mistakenly assumed to be Type 2s simply because they're adults. If you're concerned, speak to your nurse or doctor for more information.

You've mentioned dizziness and shakiness. These aren't symptoms of Type 1.

If your symptoms persist, it would be worth mentioning to your doctor in case it's unrelated to your diabetes.

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The symptoms of type 1 diabetes are the 4Ts:
  • Thirst - excessive unquenchable thirst
  • Tiredness - exhaustion
  • Toilet - excessive urination, getting up in the night to wee
  • Thin - dramatic, untried for weight loss
The symptoms of type 2 and type 1 are similar. The key difference in type 1 would be the weight loss.

On diagnosis a type 1 would tend to have higher blood sugar levels (30+) and is more likely to have ketones.

For those who suddenly exhibit T1 symptoms, the above would be true,but this is not a given for LADAs. I presented with metabolic syndrome and a slightly raised HbA1c and was diagnosed T2. A lowcarb diet eliminated the metabolic syndrome, dropped me some weight (1 1/2 stone), and I enjoyed a honeymoon period of 4 1/2 years. Fast forward to Jan.2016 and all 4 symptoms returned with a vengeance. I dropped another stone, and eventually ended up at the Diabetes Clinic, where I was immediately put on MDI. In Nov. 2011 I didn't have HIGH blood sugars, unexplained weight loss, or ketones. In Mar. 2016 I did.
Geoff

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
If I have constant high bgs I lose weight and risk dka just like type1s too.
The difference I've found is the change to sugar levels are far less dramatic in a type2. Type1s can have very quick changes to their bgs.
I believe insulin injections influence the dramatic change not the type1's metabolism.
I see no difference in my type1 best friend's side affects to fluctuating bgs in type2s. Just less dramatic a change when injectable insulin isn't involved.
A type1 can go into dka in a day. Type2s take days/weeks or sometimes months.

vallaing

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
nothing
Cat72- I was just diagnosed with type 1 on Saturday. I had the same reaction as you, seemed more of a type 1. I had no idea that I could have diabetes even though my brother was diagnosed a few months back. I was taken to the emergency room shaking, tingling all over my body, dizzy and absolutely terrified I was having a stroke or heart attack. They took my blood sugar and said it was 13.5 which is considered high and type 2. I've not had any of the classic symptoms at all just feeling a bit dizzy on a regular basis for the last year or so. As I have tinnitus I assumed it was vertigo causing it but now realize it's most likely high blood sugar. They told me I can control with diet but no meds either as of yet. With the hot weather I hadn't been eating much at all and skipping a lot of meals and had a bit of alcohol the night before so this maybe brought it to the fore. I don't really eat cakes or sweets and prefer crisps and savory so hopefully with proper meals and eating similar maybe reducing carbs a bit will be ok. I've still to see the nurse with all my questions, but all the doctors and consultants have labelled it as type 2.

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Geoff, you seem really bright. Can you explain the difference between LADA and MODY1,2,3? I have kind of a porous brain and am going to have to look up MDI, is that a kind of insulin? Also, what tests showed your change
I'm just up, and my brain isn't fully awake yet, so just a quick response on MDI. Multiple Daily Injections of basal (once or split) and bolus insulin (to cover eating, so usually 3 times. As opposed to an insulin pump, or other insulin regimes e.g. once or twice a day of mixed insulin.
Geoff

Geoff, you seem really bright. Can you explain the difference between LADA and MODY1,2,3? I have kind of a porous brain and am going to have to look up MDI, is that a kind of insulin? Also, what tests showed your change
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_mody.html

"MODY is often referred to as "monogenic diabetes"[3][4] to distinguish it from the more common types of diabetes (especially type 1 and type 2), which involve more complex combinations of causes involving multiple genes and environmental factors."

"In some forms of MODY, standard treatment is appropriate, though exceptions occur:

• In MODY2, oral agents are relatively ineffective and insulin is unnecessary.
  • In MODY1 and MODY3, insulin may be more effective than drugs to increase insulin sensitivity."
"The tools for management are similar for all forms of diabetes: blood testing, changes in diet, physical exercise, oral hypoglycemic agents, and insulin injections. In many cases these goals can be achieved more easily with MODY than with ordinary types 1 and 2 diabetes."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maturity_onset_diabetes_of_the_young

This wiki article may be a bit too detailed. MODY is essentially "caused by mutations in an autosomal dominant gene[2] disrupting insulin production" and is inherited. So it's not autoimmune, or brought about by insulin resistance.

I'd sum it up by saying MODYs are special @Contralto. If you're like me, you've never wanted to be 'normal' !
Geoff

Last edited by a moderator:

SenileTomato

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabeetus

Definitely. I almost always have the same symptoms depending on if I am high or low. When my levels are high, I am constantly tired, agitated, confused, and cannot think straight. When I am low, I get weak, shaky, anxious, lose attention fast to virtually anything, and can become hungry and or tired. I think these symptoms can easily arise when Type 2's are high or low as well.

Reactions: matytheman

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Only way to know really is to test your blood glucose, which is probably a good idea if you suspect something.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I can now see why the nhs treat the symptoms rather than the cause.
They affect us all or threaten our good health.

We are remarkable people.
All of us!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Cat72- I was just diagnosed with type 1 on Saturday. I had the same reaction as you, seemed more of a type 1. I had no idea that I could have diabetes even though my brother was diagnosed a few months back. I was taken to the emergency room shaking, tingling all over my body, dizzy and absolutely terrified I was having a stroke or heart attack. They took my blood sugar and said it was 13.5 which is considered high and type 2. I've not had any of the classic symptoms at all just feeling a bit dizzy on a regular basis for the last year or so. As I have tinnitus I assumed it was vertigo causing it but now realize it's most likely high blood sugar. They told me I can control with diet but no meds either as of yet. With the hot weather I hadn't been eating much at all and skipping a lot of meals and had a bit of alcohol the night before so this maybe brought it to the fore. I don't really eat cakes or sweets and prefer crisps and savory so hopefully with proper meals and eating similar maybe reducing carbs a bit will be ok. I've still to see the nurse with all my questions, but all the doctors and consultants have labelled it as type 2.

You say you were diagnosed with Type 1 on Saturday @vallaing but you also say the doctors and consultants have labelled it Type 2.

Can you explain a little more?