Type 2 diabetic Diet - Concerned about diet.

wuzzy12

So I like everyone else have been encouraged to eat the LCHF diet, but here's the problem. I am one of the skinny type 2 diabetics, im naturally a thin lanky dude and years of boozing to much did this to me. Im now in my 40's (don't drink anymore have not for a long time) but here's my issue, if I completely cut out carbs I feel like im going to turn into a bone rack. Im 6"2 205lbs rightnow and look slim, any less and ill be freaked right out. Can anyone let me know food that might pack up into my stomach like a carb but doesnt do the same amount of damage. Sugar wise.

Thanks!

J

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. What is your blood sugar control like? If you find it difficult to control your blood sugar even with very low carbs then you are likely to be T1 and not T2 and have low insulin. There are tests for this so discuss with the GP Mis-diagnosis is common.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No need to eat carbs to control your weight IMHO. If you are really lucky to be able to eat lots and not put on weight then - nuts, cream, cheese, meats (fatty ones) all have a bit of fat in which ramps up calories without adding too many carbs.
Take nuts, 100g or pecans as an example is best part of 700 calories. Brazil nuts and walnuts are apparently really good for you so have a good couple of handfuls of those.
Cheese - how lovely to eat a good hunk of that and not worry about the calories.

So fat is your friend on LCHF - everything in moderation...

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I know the BMI comes in for a lot of criticism, but your BMI is just in the overweight range. It is 26 and needs to be under 25. Also, have you measured your waist with a tape measure recently? The waist should be equal to or less than half your height in inches. ( using trouser waist size is not a good idea). Maybe you could do with losing a few pounds? Just a thought.

It is perfectly possible to maintain a stable weight on LCHF. I have been doing it for 3 years, as have others on this forum. You just need to eat enough calories, and these can come from fats and protein.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No need to eat carbs to control your weight IMHO. If you are really lucky to be able to eat lots and not put on weight then - nuts, cream, cheese, meats (fatty ones) all have a bit of fat in which ramps up calories without adding too many carbs.
Take nuts, 100g or pecans as an example is best part of 700 calories. Brazil nuts and walnuts are apparently really good for you so have a good couple of handfuls of those.
Cheese - how lovely to eat a good hunk of that and not worry about the calories.

So fat is your friend on LCHF - everything in moderation...
NOT a handful of brazil nuts, you could poison yourself with too much selenium! Yes, really - here is just one of many warnings abut this you can find by googling: http://www.nutritionchic.com/beware-two-brazil-nuts-a-day-and-no-more.html

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't so far and I love the things - but we are all different so advice gratefully received. I have eaten 200g in a day myself.

Kailee56

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
When you eat LCHF and keep calories in mind, you don't have to lose weight. The goal of LCHF is to decrease your blood glucose and the required insulin response for dealing with the glucose. Staying low carb, you can increase your calories two ways:

Make sure you are eating enough protein. There are resources that can tell you what your protein should be for your height when combined with your activity level. Keep in mind that some of the protein is converted to glucose when metabolized so you don't want to go protein crazy, just make sure you are getting enough. Protein doesn't necessarily spike your blood sugar, but it can use insulin. In "Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution", he recommends increasing protein for weight gain. I think he did this after finding not all of his patients liked the higher fat recommendation.

The usual method for LCHF to increase calories and weight is to increase fat. The easiest way is to "bulletproof" your coffee or tea by adding oil and butter and then throwing it into a blender so the fats blend in like cream instead of floating on top. Another way is to eat fat bombs. There are recipes galore all over the internet. I haven't checked the recipe section here, but I know that Pinterest has a lot. Most are sweet, but there are also savory ones if that is what you like. There are also high fat smoothies and soups to make which are low carb. Personal favorite is cream of mushroom soup

I think this is what you were asking. Hope this helps.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It is low carb, not no carbs - if you have a meter you might check your BG levels before and after eating so as to find out just how much carb you can eat, and which foods cause the high spikes - people react to different foods differently, and according to what they eat together - it is recommended that berries are eaten with cream for instance.
If you see good numbers when eating a certain amount.type of foods over time you might notice that the levels are sinking even further - I saw that, and have been able to eat a bit more without getting high readings - I went from a Hba1c of 47 to 41 despite increasing carbs a little.
For me it is difficult to lose, so eating LCHF is not a sure and certain way to lose weight.