Type 2 diabetic in need of urgent help

Bigse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello all!
I’m in a very tricky situation. Type 2 diabetic for nearly 4 yrs and now pregnant 13 weeks after many miscarriages.
My diabetes midwife decided to keep me only on oral medication (Prolonged release Metformin 2x 1000mg) but for 3 days my blood sugars are going through the roof even though I am very careful with my carb intake and I exercise every single day for at least 30min.
She is not keen to prescribe insulin, but why?? I am paranoid of all the consequenses of high sugars.
Any advice welcome.

Reactions: Peter_Sylvester

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Can you sell us what you have eaten/drunk for the last few days, as it is very easy not to realise the carb contents of some food? (We all done it!)

Is there a say you can get your GP to send you to a consultant, also what does your GP think about your current BG levels.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
@Bigse In view of the pregnancy and history of miscarriages, I would not hesitate to see my doctor under these circumstances.
Sally

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all!
I’m in a very tricky situation. Type 2 diabetic for nearly 4 yrs and now pregnant 13 weeks after many miscarriages.
My diabetes midwife decided to keep me only on oral medication (Prolonged release Metformin 2x 1000mg) but for 3 days my blood sugars are going through the roof even though I am very careful with my carb intake and I exercise every single day for at least 30min.
She is not keen to prescribe insulin, but why?? I am paranoid of all the consequenses of high sugars.
Any advice welcome.

Go to see your gp

saruhbeau

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Firstly congratulations on your pregnancy. Your iinsulin requirements will only increase as the pregnancy progresses so it's important to get them controlled now. What are you blood sugars running at right now? Can you see a pattern to when you are going high? Have you asked your dsn why she won't prescribe insulin?

You are on the (usual) max dose of metformin so the next step would be insulin. Are you seeing a diabetes pregnancy team yet? They will understand how important good control in pregnancy is, and if your current meds aren't working and your diet is good they will have to prescribe insulin. I would contact you team asap.