Type 2 Diagnosis and what a great page!

Ronni.p

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

I received my type 2 diagnosis on 28 December 2016 and I can't thank the members of this page enough for all the valuable information.

Currently I'm keeping a food diary and testing my blood glucose in the morning (after fasting) and 2 hours after dinner. I am hoping that if I work hard enough I won't need medication.

After dinner my readings are between 5.5 and 6.5 (approx 100-120), however in the morning they tend to be about 6.5 (120). Not sure if these will be low enough as I know ideally the morning reading should be under 6.

I've made massive changes to my diet and I'm now incorporating more exercise in my life than I have for many years. Being told I have diabetes was certainly the kick up the butt I needed to get myself sorted.

I see my Dr again next week and will get my dietician appointments organised and in about 6 weeks will have my first HbA1c.

Well, thanks again for all the great info. I will continue to read the pages and now my sign on is working, I'm sure I'll have some questions too.

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello... Quick question.. Were you diagnosed without an hba1c?... As you mentioned you don't get your first for a few weeks.

Those numbers you quote are indicative of an hba1c of approx 38-40 which is below the threshold for diagnosis.

Reactions: Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Ronni.p and welcome to the forum. Good to hear you have found it useful. Your morning readings of around 6.5 are ok, anything between 4-7 is good.

Reactions: Ronni.p

Ronni.p

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello... Quick question.. Were you diagnosed without an hba1c?... As you mentioned you don't get your first for a few weeks.

Those numbers you quote are indicative of an hba1c of approx 38-40 which is below the threshold for diagnosis.

I have done a glucose tolerance test. The results were Fasting 6.4, 1hr 10.4 and 2hr 10.7.

My Dr told me I have type 2 diabetes, however from my glucose tests at home I thought my results were similar to what I have read about pre-diabetes. I will be jumping for joy if it turns out I don't have diabetes.

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have done a glucose tolerance test. The results were Fasting 6.4, 1hr 10.4 and 2hr 10.7.

My Dr told me I have type 2 diabetes, however from my glucose tests at home I thought my results were similar to what I have read about pre-diabetes. I will be jumping for joy if it turns out I don't have diabetes.

Your glucose tolerance test is indicative of prediabetes too. It needs to be above 11.2 at 2 hours I believe for a confirmed diagnosis according to guidelines.

Seems like your doctor has jumped the gun here, most gp's would follow up with an immediate hba1c before making any diagnosis.

Reactions: Ronni.p

Ronni.p

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your glucose tolerance test is indicative of prediabetes too. It needs to be above 11.2 at 2 hours I believe for a confirmed diagnosis according to guidelines.

Seems like your doctor has jumped the gun here, most gp's would follow up with an immediate hba1c before making any diagnosis.
Wow, that would be fantastic if that is the case. I haven't read too much on prediabetes, however I imagine if I keep doing what I'm doing I may be able to prevent diabetes?

I am actually in the process of changing Dr as I changed workplace and it was quite a drive to my previous one. Having said that, he's always been fantastic. I just figured it made more sense since being told I have diabetes to go somewhere where that is close by. I have a medical centre across the road from my work with dietician and exercise physiologist so I will get a second opinion next week.

Reactions: Prem51

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow, that would be fantastic if that is the case. I haven't read too much on prediabetes, however I imagine if I keep doing what I'm doing I may be able to prevent diabetes?

I am actually in the process of changing Dr as I changed workplace and it was quite a drive to my previous one. Having said that, he's always been fantastic. I just figured it made more sense since being told I have diabetes to go somewhere where that is close by. I have a medical centre across the road from my work with dietician and exercise physiologist so I will get a second opinion next week.

Yes, carry on with the diet and exercise changes, treat it as if you are diabetic and any changes you make will be positive. You have impaired fasting glucose and impaired glucose tolerance which with effort and intervention is often reversible.

My fasting numbers (6.7) and tolerance test 10.5, 10.2) are very similar to yours and I returned an hba1c of 38 which is high normal and thus avoided any kind of diagnosis.

Reactions: Prem51 and Ronni.p

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hopefully the HbA1c will come back under the diabetic threshold, and as you have radically changed your eating and exercise habits, that is very likely. Stick with us and keep up the "new lifestyle".

Ronni.p

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, carry on with the diet and exercise changes, treat it as if you are diabetic and any changes you make will be positive. You have impaired fasting glucose and impaired glucose tolerance which with effort and intervention is often reversible.

My fasting numbers (6.7) and tolerance test 10.5, 10.2) are very similar to yours and I returned an hba1c of 38 which is high normal and thus avoided any kind of diagnosis.
Thanks Jamesuk9. I will definitely keep doing what I've been doing.

Reactions: Prem51 and ickihun