Type 2 diagnosis

Butterfly1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just did a BG test.... 9.6 mmol which is a bit disappointing as the previous 2 evening readings were 7.7 and 7.5
Must be the vegan ice"cream" ... I couldn't find a carb amount for it, but thought it would be ok as made with nuts. More research needed on that one!

Sam50

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hubby uses a sucralose sweetener ( recommended for
What does everyone have with their tea and coffee which sugar and milk alternatives I might get coconut sugar and use red top milk or heavy cream
diabetics) so that would be Splendour in the UK or a supermarket alternative. Comes in tablet form or loose powder for sprinkling-he says it's okay.

Sam50

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What does everyone have with their tea and coffee which sugar and milk alternatives I might get coconut sugar and use red top milk or heavy cream
Splendor or other sucralose based sweetener which comes in tablet or powder form is Hubby's choice.

ShyLily

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hubby uses a sucralose sweetener ( recommended for

diabetics) so that would be Splendour in the UK or a supermarket alternative. Comes in tablet form or loose powder for sprinkling-he says it's okay.

Ok thanks

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@ShyLily I'm a 52 year old male and I was diagnosed type 2 several years ago. My Dr sent me to a dietician who gave me the pre-prepared spiel of plenty of carbs, moderate protein and low fat. I have pretty much followed that up until the last 6 months or so. Why? Mainly because I actually lost 30lbs and kept it off, my bg's and a couple of my bi-annual HbA1c's came back either normal or just pre-diabetes plus I wasn't and am still not on any meds.

I also started walking roughly 5 miles/day then added weightlifting 3x/week. My weight has gone up about 12 pounds since my initial weight loss but I'm wearing smaller clothing. I traded out fat in favor of muscle.

Now that I'm lchf and intermittent as well as extended fasting, my blood glucose readings are coming down but more importantly, the blood glucose spikes are minimal. Currently my readings are between 5.6-7.8. Not the best but they are trending downward.

I personally don't consider type 2 anything but an inconvenience. I know that with the help of the great people on this forum as well as the work of people like Michael Moseley and Jason Fung, I can control it if not reverse it.

I still stray from my diet time to time with the odd indulgence but I don't make it a habit. I have always been just a meat and potato guy so incorporating salads and other healthy foods into my diet was at times painful. Now I have learned to not only eat a variety of healthy foods, I really enjoy them. I love fruit but have limited it to an apple or two per week. It's a treat for me and the fiber helps.

Don't think of your diagnosis as a sentence, think of it as a tap on the shoulder reminding you to mind what you eat.

Ask your parents or grandparents what, how much and how often they ate at your age. I'll bet the answer is quite different than the current gov't healthy eat guidelines.

ShyLily

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ShyLily I'm a 52 year old male and I was diagnosed type 2 several years ago. My Dr sent me to a dietician who gave me the pre-prepared spiel of plenty of carbs, moderate protein and low fat. I have pretty much followed that up until the last 6 months or so. Why? Mainly because I actually lost 30lbs and kept it off, my bg's and a couple of my bi-annual HbA1c's came back either normal or just pre-diabetes plus I wasn't and am still not on any meds.

I also started walking roughly 5 miles/day then added weightlifting 3x/week. My weight has gone up about 12 pounds since my initial weight loss but I'm wearing smaller clothing. I traded out fat in favor of muscle.

Now that I'm lchf and intermittent as well as extended fasting, my blood glucose readings are coming down but more importantly, the blood glucose spikes are minimal. Currently my readings are between 5.6-7.8. Not the best but they are trending downward.

I personally don't consider type 2 anything but an inconvenience. I know that with the help of the great people on this forum as well as the work of people like Michael Moseley and Jason Fung, I can control it if not reverse it.

I still stray from my diet time to time with the odd indulgence but I don't make it a habit. I have always been just a meat and potato guy so incorporating salads and other healthy foods into my diet was at times painful. Now I have learned to not only eat a variety of healthy foods, I really enjoy them. I love fruit but have limited it to an apple or two per week. It's a treat for me and the fiber helps.

Don't think of your diagnosis as a sentence, think of it as a tap on the shoulder reminding you to mind what you eat.

Ask your parents or grandparents what, how much and how often they ate at your age. I'll bet the answer is quite different than the current gov't healthy eat guidelines.

Woah great advice thanks , and well done to you. I know one day I'm like yes I'm excited I can do this then the next I'm like ugh but yes your right how I've been eating hasn't been healthy so change of lifestyle will be good

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@ShyLily one thing I should add. Take it slow. Reduce your bad carbs slowly and at the same time increase your fats. Trying to do the changes overnight or even over a couple of weeks is, in my opinion setting oneself up for failure.

I still have a potato now and then but only one small-medium with butter. I also will have a Caesar salad minus the croutons so I'll throw in bacon bits by the handful. Rice is another really bad one for me, why? I would probably eat 4 cups of cooked rice in a meal. The last time I did that I spiked to over 13 and my morning reading was only marginally better. My last rice meal was maybe 1 cup cooked and my bg's stayed in the normal range. Still, I try to avoid these highly refined foods if possible but I'm human so I will succumb to temptation. When this happens I'll fast for 18-24 hours.

I had the same experience with pasta. I can now have just a small amount but I'll load up on meatballs and some salad. You mentioned you have a meter. Try one of your standard meals and test. The following week, have the same meal again and reduce the processed carbs by 75% and add some salad and nuts or avocado. Compare the results. You'll probably find that you can still enjoy some of the foods you love but just in very limited quantities. Consider them as a monthly treat.

I would recommend you look up Dr Jason Fung on YouTube. His videos are a wealth of knowledge.

Cheers and good luck going forward.

Reactions: ShyLily

ShyLily

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ShyLily one thing I should add. Take it slow. Reduce your bad carbs slowly and at the same time increase your fats. Trying to do the changes overnight or even over a couple of weeks is, in my opinion setting oneself up for failure.

I still have a potato now and then but only one small-medium with butter. I also will have a Caesar salad minus the croutons so I'll throw in bacon bits by the handful. Rice is another really bad one for me, why? I would probably eat 4 cups of cooked rice in a meal. The last time I did that I spiked to over 13 and my morning reading was only marginally better. My last rice meal was maybe 1 cup cooked and my bg's stayed in the normal range. Still, I try to avoid these highly refined foods if possible but I'm human so I will succumb to temptation. When this happens I'll fast for 18-24 hours.

I had the same experience with pasta. I can now have just a small amount but I'll load up on meatballs and some salad. You mentioned you have a meter. Try one of your standard meals and test. The following week, have the same meal again and reduce the processed carbs by 75% and add some salad and nuts or avocado. Compare the results. You'll probably find that you can still enjoy some of the foods you love but just in very limited quantities. Consider them as a monthly treat.

I would recommend you look up Dr Jason Fung on YouTube. His videos are a wealth of knowledge.

Cheers and good luck going forward.

Thanks a lot great advice and yes I agree I think
That will be the best way forward for
Me now is gradually decrease refined carbs and increase protein and healthy fats. And yeah will check how my blood sugars are how I normally eat and then with the reduction

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@ShyLily be mindful of the amount of protein you eat. The body converts it to glucose as well. I'm sure someone here can give a rough idea of the gram of protein the average person going lchf should aim for.

ShyLily

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is not your fault. When I had gestational diabetes, like a lot of folks, no one gave me any advice except to cut out sugar. They didn't talk about the rest of the carb stuff.

As far as the pregnasncy, you did what is good for your baby and that is like gold! Bless you and bless your caring. Now you are going to care for you yourself!

Thanks

ShyLily

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm feeling depressed guys In a bit of a diabetes denial again

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@ShyLily I've been there. I just let my denial last too long before I started to take things seriously. Now it's just an inconvenient part of life. It's no more your fault than catching a cold but it will be if you don't act on it from here on out.
The knowledge on this forum is second to none, if you need/want help, just ask and you'll get it. If you need to vent, do it, we all understand what you are going through.

ShyLily

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ShyLily I've been there. I just let my denial last too long before I started to take things seriously. Now it's just an inconvenient part of life. It's no more your fault than catching a cold but it will be if you don't act on it from here on out.
The knowledge on this forum is second to none, if you need/want help, just ask and you'll get it. If you need to vent, do it, we all understand what you are going through.

Yh I need to get my act together don't know what's wrong with me

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Its tough, changein living, food etc is not easy... dont beat yourself up.. you can and will make changes but the beating up side can knock you flat down.

I would try just taking small steps and achieve them. For me, I even got heart shaped post it notes and put one each Friday on my hallway full size mirror to list one happy event or achievement for each week. Not diabetes related but related to my life and trying to help myself more.
When feeling anxious about my life in anyway (I now have my dog, so this is significantly less) I go and paint / do art or make cards to get my mind off beating myself up about things.

Today I got lost whilst walking my dog. Brain has been addled for a while.. but I know its not the end of the world although I've done this walk for 3 months now. I know something isnt functioning right in my brain all the time but I cant beat myself up about it. I can though sit down and relax and occupy my brain and body and minimise the angst about it.

The more you stress the less likely to achieve and the harder it is....

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@ShyLily if it was your child that was diagnosed with diabetes I'm sure you would be doing everything you can for him/her. Just remember you have to take proper care of yourself to properly care for a child.
Early on after diagnosis it is frustrating. There seems to be so much conflicting information around pertaining to diabetes, odesity, food, drugs etc.
for myself, after listening to "The Obesity Code" by Dr Jason Fung on an audiobook, my eyes were opened about how the body deals with food and hormones on a physiological level. Information gained here only contributed to making the right choices.
You can do this and in time it gets to be nothing more than the odd finger prick.

Cheers

ShyLily

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ShyLily if it was your child that was diagnosed with diabetes I'm sure you would be doing everything you can for him/her. Just remember you have to take proper care of yourself to properly care for a child.
Early on after diagnosis it is frustrating. There seems to be so much conflicting information around pertaining to diabetes, odesity, food, drugs etc.
for myself, after listening to "The Obesity Code" by Dr Jason Fung on an audiobook, my eyes were opened about how the body deals with food and hormones on a physiological level. Information gained here only contributed to making the right choices.
You can do this and in time it gets to be nothing more than the odd finger prick.

Cheers

Woah yeh will look into the obesity code thanks