Type 2 for 22 years and feel cheated!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The really sad, bad thing, is that the low carb diet for diabetics goes way back - into the mid 1800s at least - probably lost in the mists of time, and I just don't understand why modern medicine is so against the concept of diet being part of treatment.
Alexander the Great's doctor was put to death for not ensuring that the correct food was served to his patient - it was thought that it killed him, so you can understand that people were a bit more than upset about it.

KezG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tripe, most shellfish.. mussels, cockles etc...
Hello @Yai and welcome to the forum :)

Reactions: Liam1955

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Yai welcome to the forum. I've only been T2 for about 3 years however my mother (who died in 2007) was T2 for a number of years and, unfortunteley, made the steady progression from tablets to insulin with various other health issues particularly with her eyes and weight and, what I now believe, the effects of statins so when I became diabetic I was concerned that it was inevitable that I would follow the same route. I initally followed the advice of the DN and also the diet that my mother used to have ie low fat and brown everything with nothing savoury being off limits as long as it was in small portions! However I found this forum, changed my diet, got a meter, threw away the statins and my hba1c is now stable in the mid 30s. My mother used to enjoy baking and would have soon got to grips with low carb cakes etc and I do sometimes get angry about the advice that she was given when I think of how carefully she stuck to a seemingly healthy diet that I'm convinced did her more harm than good. You have a right to feel cheated and good for you for taking control!

Reactions: BrianTheElder

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I'm going to attempt a low-carb toad-in-the-hole tonight! Normally I do sausages with a massive low carb cauliflower cheese - but today I'm going to whizz very soft cauli with eggs and mustard, and use that as the 'hole' around the toads.

Without this forum I would still be eating high carb and getting cross every time I test post-food. Those days are GONE.

Will report back on the toad......

Love Snapsy
:)

So, how was the toad? I was thinking of how to do that just the other day.

So,

Reactions: Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ooooh @BarbaraG it was yummy - I forgot to report back!

I'll use less water next time - 250ml not the 400ml I used - and only half a stock cube, not a whole beef one (too strong) but half a chicken one. So here's what I'll use next time:

500g frozen cauliflower, microwaved on full power for 20 mins
Half a stock cube
Loads of black pepper
A dessert spoon of Dijon mustard
2 eggs
250ml water

Whizz the above until mega smooth to make a creamy batter while the sausages (I used 6) cook in a hot oven for 20 minutes. I cooked mine in sausage dripping from the last time I'd had sausages.
Add the batter and cook for 20 mins, turn and cook for another 20 mins or until set and golden.

My mistake had been to make the batter the consistency of 'standard' toad batter - this was way too wet, so it took a long time to cook. So, less water next time. But goodness me, it was delicious. Mr S approved - and that's a big deal!

Looking forward to cooking it again within the week! I think less water and it would have puffed up around the edges - but I have to say that I've always liked a claggy toad, so I was in heaven.......

Total CHO was 30g. It was masses but we have very healthy appetites so we had half each - Mr S had brown sauce on his.

It didn't taste of cauli, or mustard, or eggs. It tasted - pretty much - like toad in the hole! Oh, and of beef stock cube. But that in a funny way meant that I didn't miss gravy. Will be toning the stock cube down next time.

:):):)

File_000.jpeg

File_001.jpeg

Reactions: Japes

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
[Open Shopping List]

Sausages
Cauliflower

[/Close Shopping List]

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Well, I made it this evening, and I enjoyed it..... a very different texture to the traditional sort, light and fluffy, but I thought it was good. My husband thought otherwise, and left most of the "hole" on his plate - the first actual refusal by him of one of my keto recipes.

A shame, really, because my BG before was 4.9, I peaked at 5.8, and 2 hours later back down to 5.1 - and had strawberries and cream after the toad. So, if it were down to me, this would be on the regular menu!

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Made it again last night and it was brilliant - I used a quarter of a beef stock cube and 200ml water - so that's what I did that was different - and I cooked it at 220 instead of 190 and it was lovely and brown and TOADY! And more solid and less wet than my first (400ml water!) version.

I had suggested lowering the volume to 250ml when I typed the recipe above, but erred on the side of less last night, at 200ml.

Glad you enjoyed yours, @BarbaraG ! Sorry your husband didn't - mine quite liked the first one although he said he didn't consider it toad, but the improved version ticked all his boxes, thankfully.

:)

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hello @Yai and welcome to the Forum :).