Type 2 Hypo??

Ant3010

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone

I've been diabetic type two for 4 years now I'm on Gliclizide, Sitagliptin and metaformin; this week I seem to have had what I can only call low sugar incidents, sweating, slurring words, shaking so two nights ago I took my blood sugar during one of these episodes and it was 5.1 (four hours after dinner) to me that doesn't seem hugely low but I had some sugar and within 5 minutes was back to normal - I have my six monthly blood test on Monday; but I'm continuing to go "hypo" was 3.4 this morning - can you experience hypos as type 2?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are taking medication which cause your blood glucose to drop, then you will feel the effects either due to the rapid drop in levels or from the concentration you drop to.
I think that you need to discus the amounts of medication you are taking with your doctor.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Hi everyone

I've been diabetic type two for 4 years now I'm on Gliclizide, Sitagliptin and metaformin; this week I seem to have had what I can only call low sugar incidents, sweating, slurring words, shaking so two nights ago I took my blood sugar during one of these episodes and it was 5.1 (four hours after dinner) to me that doesn't seem hugely low but I had some sugar and within 5 minutes was back to normal - I have my six monthly blood test on Monday; but I'm continuing to go "hypo" was 3.4 this morning - can you experience hypos as type 2?

I agree with @Resurgam - talk to your doc about this and about a change in meds..maybe dose...if he/she thinks it's worthwhile. In my opinion, it will be the Gliclazide. If your carbohydrate intake is low, that is a strong enough drug to cause a hypo. You can definitely experience hypos as a Type 2. I would add, however that 5.1 isn't just not "hugely low"...it's good...it's not in hypo territory. We do all differ a bit of course. Talk to your doctor.

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone

Yes you can. Been there done that. It can be worse though if you are only on insulin like me.