1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2.....ideas would be appreciated

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Caz_B, Nov 28, 2017.

1. OrsonKartt

OrsonKartt Type 2 · Well-Known Member

If you eat meat salami sticks are an easy carry. Lidle ( and most likely other supermarkets) do a variety of interesting European flavours. The little pots of boiled eggs and fresh spinach are good value if you don't have time to cook yourself.

2. srobertson06

srobertson06 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Breakfast for me is Natural Full Fat Greek Yogurt - I occasionally add some blueberries or strawberries but usually I add a small amount of 'Vermont Sugar free low calorie syrup' it is a little like Maple syrup and takes off the bitter/sour taste of yogurt which I have always disliked. I purchase this from Avid Lite and have it delivered once a month - just in case anyone is interested.

If I get the munchies I usually eat nuts where possible and they are easy to keep in the drawer at work.
    I hope this helps a little and that you manage to find options that work for you.

3. endgame

endgame Type 2 · Active Member

Have a look at ditchthecarbs.com for more ideas, also agree that cereal's do not keep you full for very long, full of carbs although convenient, if you have time try cooked breakfast eggs bacon etc, good size omelette with cheese and ham etc, if no time in morning you could try cooking your breakfast the evening before ( not to be eaten before going to bed lol :) ) and warming through in morning.
    Regards

• Like Like x 1
  4. KitSileya

KitSileya Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have been lucky enough that my bg can stand me eating two rugsprø - very thin rye crispbreads with 6 gr carbs each - for lunch. I put a slice of butter (using a Skandinavian cheese slicer to get even slices) and either lunch meat or cheese slices on them. I vary the butter with a heap of Italian salad (a mayonnaise salad with julienned carrots and cabbage) and cheese slices. Yum!

On those days my fbg is high (over 5.5, that is) I have another crispbread type that's only 1.1gr carbs, but as they are fully 10 times more expensive than the rye crispbreads....

5. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Well-Known Member

Sounds lovely and you are lucky but I think I would prefer it on a cold crunchy piece of lettuce. I love gobbling fillings in lettuce leaves.

6. MarieU

MarieU Type 2 · Newbie

Eat nuts, you can add it to your salad. Beware of cashew nuts they are higher in carbs. Add protein, add roast chicken, boiled eggs or cheese to your salad. Fat and protein make you full quicker. I used the diet doctor website for inspiration for recipe. I am on a low carbs high fat. My levels are starting to settle. I am type 2. I also record my food on myfitnespal so I can understand better where I have carbs in my food. I guess you have to work out what is best for you. You are half way there since you have asked for help.

7. nomoredonuts

nomoredonuts Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Not really answering your question @Caz_B , but are you testing your blood sugar levels? I would want to know if my symptoms were related to high/low BS. That might help in your choice of snack.

8. 123657

123657 · Member

Symptoms that I know my dad suffers
    Tired
    Shaky
    Lightheaded
    Cold sweats
    Nausea
    Chills
    Blurred vision
    Mood swings
    Tingly or numb lips
    Fast heartbeat
    Faintness
    Headaches
    Dizzy
    Hunger

9. Caz_B

Caz_B Type 2 · Active Member

As i am having difficulty getting my bg down i am testing a lot at moment ie two hours after eating to see how foods are affecting my bg. Thank you

10. Caz_B

Caz_B Type 2 · Active Member

Thank you everyone....has been really helpful xx

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook