Type 2 Life

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
My 'eat to your meter' experiment is coming along and revealing lots of howlers which may explain why I get quite high fbg in the morning. I am crossing things out on my list of things I can and cannot eat, including rice, Tesco naughty popcorn and any manner of other things. I nearly fell off my chair when I had a reading of 20.2 after lunch. Spiking all over the place. Going to have to be a bit more scientific about all this, like going back to an Atkins-style 20 grams of carb a day and adding in stuff and seeing what my meter says. Just as well I bought those new strips. No wonder I have been feeling tired! Must be doing something right, my HB1ac is about 7.2, but these big spikes cannot be helpful. I will get there, now I have some idea of what I am doing wrong and have a strategy.

Reactions: Granny_grump_

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Hi @PenfoldAPD . Have you had your HbA1c? (I've skimmed the 600-odd posts since you mentioned it and got told off by teacher ;))
I definitely dragged my feet to allow a decent gap after Christmas. I had mine today and I'm worried that after consuming stack of pain killers since December for a trapped nerve, the results will be artificially high. It sounds though that we both might have partied a bit hard! I'll post when I know mine.

Reactions: Liam1955

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
Small other matter, fingers are getting a bit bruised. Bit of a shame as I play the mandolin and those strongs need hard pressing. I am right handed so use my ring and middle finger to test. Suggestions?

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Small other matter, fingers are getting a bit bruised. Bit of a shame as I play the mandolin and those strongs need hard pressing. I am right handed so use my ring and middle finger to test. Suggestions?
I tend to use my left thumb, and to the side not the pad. On days when I am testing more frequently I use the other fingers on my left hand as well

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @PenfoldAPD . Have you had your HbA1c? (I've skimmed the 600-odd posts since you mentioned it and got told off by teacher ;))
I definitely dragged my feet to allow a decent gap after Christmas. I had mine today and I'm worried that after consuming stack of pain killers since December for a trapped nerve, the results will be artificially high. It sounds though that we both might have partied a bit hard! I'll post when I know mine.
Worry not, there is always 'life' getting in the way of a low HbA1c. I had mine in mid Jan, and back in the summer just after my hols. They are what they are. I paid for a private test in mid october, to fill the gap, glad I did as it was unchanged from the previous reading, which caused me to re-double my effort. The danger of a 'good' result might be to ease off a little. I think we all know that is the one thing you cannot really do with D

Reactions: Granny_grump_

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
How did your doctor's appointment go today, @ickihun ?
Chest is clear so no antibiotics, hurray! Given me sugar free linctus due to tramadol isn't compatible with anything stronger. He agrees with asthma nurse increasing my inhalers to steriod ones too. He agreed that Bisoprolol may be instigator and may be increased by cardiologist, well have to see. I'm going to ask for a different beta blocker which doesn't aggravate asthma. Not sure how it will pan out.

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Morning. No not had it. Am planning in 2 weeks now - someone else asked and I realised I should get it done. I'm back in the 5s FBG range so hoping it will be good!

Hope your trapped nerve is getting better? Let me know your HBA1c when known :)

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Good Afternoon, my good friends,

I'm back at the library after several days of the upgrade in my council flat of my kitchen and bathroom. My fasting blood glucose reading was 5.4 millimoles per litre then I ate several bits of jerked pork shoulder steaks and it was 7.4 millimoles per litre. I've had readings of 6.4 millimoles per litre and 6.1 millimoles per litre, too.

I feel very well.

Much love to you all.

From

Johnny Baker. x X x.

Hi Johnny Baker you seem to be doing extremely well BG readings better than mine,keep going. Hope your kitchen and bathroom upgrade has gone well and your now enjoying it all. Take care K

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudiced people (my son has learning difficulties) and not being able to find a job
Enjoy Edinburgh. Good job I didn't say i could come. Im still ill hun. Hope that threatening cold decided otherwise for you. I wouldnt mind a trip to coventry next year or late this year. I'll try my best. You're too lovely not to meet! :) :) :)
Oh that would be brilliant Vicky! It looks like we're not going away this summer so you can come down whenever you feel up to it

JohnnyBaker87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
I have Asperger Syndrome which is an autism spectrum condition and a full diagnosis of Adult ADHD which are characterised by impairments in social communication, social interaction and social imagination. I also have a rigid and somewhat unpredictable routine. I also experience obsessive rituals, some a bit overwhelming. But I have a talent in articulate creative writing skills and possess a photographic rote memory. I have sensory sensitivity and get upset by loud noises, bright colours or lights, and notice the texture and consistency of certain foods more making my dietary choices extremely limited or restricted to certain food components. I dislike conflict and lies. The Adult ADHD also makes me very moody and cross.
Good Afternoon to my good, faithful friends on Tpe 2 Life from me, Johnny, on PC No 4 at Tate South Lambeth Public Library near to my one bedroomed council flat,

I am writing to tell you that I started smoking cigarettes yesterday after a long 8 day quit. I feel very disappointed about this and feel spiritually unclean and feel like I was weak in my Christian faith that would permit me to relapse so miserably. On www.quitnet.com I have reset my quit date to Wednesday 8th March, 2017.

My blood glucose reading, after eating a tomato sandwich and drinking a glass of Prune Juice, was 8.7 mmol then a few minutes later 9.7 mmol. My most recent reading when my metformin and Lixisenatide kicked in was 5.8 mmol.

My kitchen and bathroom upgrade is still going well, I had the carpenter round and he hung two brand new fire doors on the kitchen and bathroom, put up shelves in my kitchen larder, boxed in all the ugly pipes in the bathroom and put down skirting boards in the bathroom. The plasterer came again today and put 2nd coats of plaster on the kitchen and bathroom ceilings and laid the new floors in the kitchen and bathroom. I'm not supposed to walk on it until 3:10 Post Meridian today, when the liquid flooring has dried and set.

Have a lovely, stress-free day, my lovely friends.

Lots of Love

From

Johnny Baker x X x.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Afternoon to my good, faithful friends on Tpe 2 Life from me, Johnny, on PC No 4 at Tate South Lambeth Public Library near to my one bedroomed council flat,

I am writing to tell you that I started smoking cigarettes yesterday after a long 8 day quit. I feel very disappointed about this and feel spiritually unclean and feel like I was weak in my Christian faith that would permit me to relapse so miserably. On www.quitnet.com I have reset my quit date to Wednesday 8th March, 2017.

My blood glucose reading, after eating a tomato sandwich and drinking a glass of Prune Juice, was 8.7 mmol then a few minutes later 9.7 mmol. My most recent reading when my metformin and Lixisenatide kicked in was 5.8 mmol.

My kitchen and bathroom upgrade is still going well, I had the carpenter round and he hung two brand new fire doors on the kitchen and bathroom, put up shelves in my kitchen larder, boxed in all the ugly pipes in the bathroom and put down skirting boards in the bathroom. The plasterer came again today and put 2nd coats of plaster on the kitchen and bathroom ceilings and laid the new floors in the kitchen and bathroom. I'm not supposed to walk on it until 3:10 Post Meridian today, when the liquid flooring has dried and set.

Have a lovely, stress-free day, my lovely friends.

Lots of Love

From

Johnny Baker x X x.

hey Johnny Baker

don´t hate yourself for having been smoking today, you just stop again tomorrow, I did it that way and finally it worked and now I haven´t been smoking for 12 years now... a lot of money saved to use for other things I actually wnat much more :)

JohnnyBaker87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
I have Asperger Syndrome which is an autism spectrum condition and a full diagnosis of Adult ADHD which are characterised by impairments in social communication, social interaction and social imagination. I also have a rigid and somewhat unpredictable routine. I also experience obsessive rituals, some a bit overwhelming. But I have a talent in articulate creative writing skills and possess a photographic rote memory. I have sensory sensitivity and get upset by loud noises, bright colours or lights, and notice the texture and consistency of certain foods more making my dietary choices extremely limited or restricted to certain food components. I dislike conflict and lies. The Adult ADHD also makes me very moody and cross.
Good Morning, my good, faithful and loving friends on Type 2 Life, from me, Johnny, on PC No 2, a public computer at Tate South Lambeth Public Library in Vauxhall, South West London, near to where I live in my one bedroomed council flat,

I am posting to inform you that I had a lovely night's sleep, and had upon waking a tomato sandwich made from 2 slices of White Bloomer Crusty Sliced Bread by Sainsbury's sprinkled with Sesame Seeds, 1 Sainsbury's Classic Round Tomato, thinly sliced into 4 slices and 1 mug of instant coffee granules, 1 teaspoon of Coffeemate Light and 4 Sucralose Artificial Sweetener Tablets.

I haven't taken my blood glucose as of yet nor administered my metformin or Lixisenatide Glucagon Like Peptide Injection but will do when I return home.

This morning I have smoked a little few roll-ups but trying to think of alternatives to smoking cigarettes. I am, if I'm honest, enjoying cigarettes less and less, I just do it out of "habit" through boredom and inertia and am really quite conscious of how gross burning tobacco tastes. Having Asperger Syndrome as I do is the cause for that where each of the 5 senses are accentuated or hypersensitive.

Love to you all, my best friends on any online forum I have accessed on the web.

From

Johnny Baker (@autisticwonder1970)

Reactions: Freema

JRF

Hi, started the step diabetes education programme yesterday and came away feeling very confused. When I was diagnosed at the end of January my HbA1c was 106. Didn't really understand it so found this site and did a lot of reading. I decided to go low carb and then see how it went. I bought a meter to allow me to test which has been invaluable. According to the readings my average over the last 30 days is 6 which I'm really pleased with given the readings when I started. I've also lost a stone in weight. At the class yesterday I was told I wasn't eating enough carbs and had to aim for 180g and I didn't need to test every day. Cant understand if carbs are bad for diabetics why the NHS are telling people to eat more. I'm on one 500mg of glucophage per day and was told it would probably increase the next time I see my dn. why? I'm hoping when I go for the second day next week it will all become clear. Off to the gym now to burn off some more fat lol

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, started the step diabetes education programme yesterday and came away feeling very confused. When I was diagnosed at the end of January my HbA1c was 106. Didn't really understand it so found this site and did a lot of reading. I decided to go low carb and then see how it went. I bought a meter to allow me to test which has been invaluable. According to the readings my average over the last 30 days is 6 which I'm really pleased with given the readings when I started. I've also lost a stone in weight. At the class yesterday I was told I wasn't eating enough carbs and had to aim for 180g and I didn't need to test every day. Cant understand if carbs are bad for diabetics why the NHS are telling people to eat more. I'm on one 500mg of glucophage per day and was told it would probably increase the next time I see my dn. why? I'm hoping when I go for the second day next week it will all become clear. Off to the gym now to burn off some more fat lol
@JRF enjoy the gym, don't worry if your BS is higher when you finish, exercise is great for insulin sensitivity. I was also told my meds would be increased over time. They have done the opposite. BUT, for those Diabetics who are of the impression that Dr knows best, AND the medicines will take care of the condition, and carry on with their lifestyle, they will probably end up on ever increasing quantities of medication

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This morning I have smoked a little few roll-ups but trying to think of alternatives to smoking cigarettes. I am, if I'm honest, enjoying cigarettes less and less, I just do it out of "habit" through boredom and inertia and am really quite conscious of how gross burning tobacco tastes. Having Asperger Syndrome as I do is the cause for that where each of the 5 senses are accentuated or hypersensitive.

Love to you all, my best friends on any online forum I have accessed on the web.

From

Johnny Baker (@autisticwonder1970)
Dont beat yourself up Johnny, temptation is a very strong draw. Think about doing things that might take your mind off a smoke. I know it is hard because I went over 7 years without a smoke, then started again. I haven't had a smoke for almost 7 years now, and hope I never do, but I don't know what is round the corner to trip me over. Try chewing on a match, and ask your Nurse for a stress ball - I found they helped

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Those sensors (libre lite). You hire the reader, download app to make sense of readings and only pay for a months worth of sensors. Someone posted yesterday that in Australia there is a website to win one.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Those sensors (libre lite). You hire the reader, download app to make sense of readings and only pay for a months worth of sensors. Someone posted yesterday that in Australia there is a website to win one.

Ickihun, unless things are different in other countries, your buy the Libre reader, rather than rent is as you suggest. The alternative, for those with Android phones, or the most recent iPhones, supporting NFC, is to download an associated app and use that, instead of the reader.

As the phone clearly can't do finger prick tests, if the app option is in use, the the user should still have access to a standard meter.

Reactions: Liam1955 and Freema

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's useful @AndBreathe . I could have sworn I saw a poster informing us that company is now renting readers now?
I must have read it wrong, maybe wishful thinking?

Bearing in mind readings cannot be deleted from meters, I doubt that would be wholly practical.

I have read where some have been given sensors, as a trial, by their consultant, they have had to return the reader, at the end of their trial.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Bearing in mind readings cannot be deleted from meters, I doubt that would be wholly practical.

I have read where some have been given sensors, as a trial, by their consultant, they have had to return the reader, at the end of their trial.
I like that.
My dn was asking if I knew anyone using it. I've said yes because a few posters I converse with about their results on theirs in PMs.
My dn would love me to get one. If any money comes my way I might close my eyes and get one. Not sure if I could afford constant monitoring thou. Nhs still not happy to fund one in our area.
Manufacturing company gift vouchers might get me there quicker. I don't think those exist either thou?

Reactions: callyandy