Type 2 Life

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Hi. @Liam1955 is correct, my Type 2 is steroid induced. I was on a fairly high dose of the steroid prenisolone as part of my treatment following a kidney transplant (required due to an inherited kidney disease). I was warned that a percentage of people on this drug for a period of more than a month or so can go on to develop diabetes. It was obviously a risk worth taking (and one I have no regrets about) but it did cause diabetes in my case (and my brother's case). The drug (like some others I am on/was on) is gradually reduced as time passes but I will have to take it for life (probably); it helps prevent rejection of the new organ. When I realised (through keeping my own records regarding food and meds and meter readings) that the drug was also causing spiked which could push my blood sugars up by as much as 10mmols and keep it there for a few hours, I realised that despite being on Gliclazide and starting a low carb diet I couldn't hope to get any great control even on the recently reduced dose of Prednisolone, I asked to have it cut more dramatically (bit of risk). Doctors looked at my own records and agreed. As soon as I went onto a low dosage (ie. 10 times lower), the spike almost vanished and I was able to keep my blood sugar under control by low carb diet alone. That was around 2 years ago...still fine. As for hypos due to steroids @fumanchu, I'm not sure what evidence your Atkins group bases this on...in my experience (which is also the experience of just about any steroid induced diabetic I have spoken with and a lot of renal transplant patients) steroids increase the blood sugar and so I can't see how that would contribute to hypos (quite the opposite actually)...but, as they say, we all differ. Perhaps other meds are involved? I do know that the two or three times I have had a hypo ( and fortunately nothing awful), it was the Gliclazide!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi. @Liam1955 is correct, my Type 2 is steroid induced. I was on a fairly high dose of the steroid prenisolone as part of my treatment following a kidney transplant (required due to an inherited kidney disease). I was warned that a percentage of people on this drug for a period of more than a month or so can go on to develop diabetes. It was obviously a risk worth taking (and one I have no regrets about) but it did cause diabetes in my case (and my brother's case). The drug (like some others I am on/was on) is gradually reduced as time passes but I will have to take it for life (probably); it helps prevent rejection of the new organ. When I realised (through keeping my own records regarding food and meds and meter readings) that the drug was also causing spiked which could push my blood sugars up by as much as 10mmols and keep it there for a few hours, I realised that despite being on Gliclazide and starting a low carb diet I couldn't hope to get any great control even on the recently reduced dose of Prednisolone, I asked to have it cut more dramatically (bit of risk). Doctors looked at my own records and agreed. As soon as I went onto a low dosage (ie. 10 times lower), the spike almost vanished and I was able to keep my blood sugar under control by low carb diet alone. That was around 2 years ago...still fine. As for hypos due to steroids @fumanchu, I'm not sure what evidence your Atkins group bases this on...in my experience (which is also the experience of just about any steroid induced diabetic I have spoken with and a lot of renal transplant patients) steroids increase the blood sugar and so I can't see how that would contribute to hypos (quite the opposite actually)...but, as they say, we all differ. Perhaps other meds are involved? I do know that the two or three times I have had a hypo ( and fortunately nothing awful), it was the Gliclazide!
I was asking if steriod inhalers for asthma caused higher bgs. If so which ones please.

JohnnyBaker87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
I have Asperger Syndrome which is an autism spectrum condition and a full diagnosis of Adult ADHD which are characterised by impairments in social communication, social interaction and social imagination. I also have a rigid and somewhat unpredictable routine. I also experience obsessive rituals, some a bit overwhelming. But I have a talent in articulate creative writing skills and possess a photographic rote memory. I have sensory sensitivity and get upset by loud noises, bright colours or lights, and notice the texture and consistency of certain foods more making my dietary choices extremely limited or restricted to certain food components. I dislike conflict and lies. The Adult ADHD also makes me very moody and cross.
My blood glucose reading today earlier on was a very satisfying 6.6. I also had a good experience at the Kingdom Hall and the talk inspired me to eradicate sugar from my tea and coffee and use minimal sweetener. It also inspired me to abstain from smoking hand rolled cigarettes and so far, touch wood, I've achieved that, using nicotine replacement therapy in the form of a spray into the mouth for the withdrawal symptoms. I have to achieve this quit. Jehovah gave me a responsibility to take care of the body He gave me and I don't want to abuse the free will that He also gave me by persisting in this disgusting habit. So far, I've gone a good few hours, maybe even a day, without roll ups.

Today I've eaten one sausage and mashed potatoes and peas and gravy ready meal and four baked roasting potatoes, cold, around my best friend Lee Collingwood's flat.

Warriortree

LIfe with T2 has been pretty balanced with blood sugars well controlled by diet and sensible eating ...... crisis 4 weeks ago, rushed into hospital with severe dehydration, high temp - diagnosed with Crohns (aged 58 !) no pre symptoms, so start Prednisolone and Pentasa on a reducing dose - mmmmm steroids they can increase your blood sugars, hospital team not particularly interested, fob off.
Blood sugars spike in the 20's up to 30 mmol/L where previously never higher than 10. So now starts fight to control them, but not having much luck - changing types of carbs or reducing carbs appears to have no effect on BMs.
I attempt to have very little processed sugar in my diet.

Now appart from a low dose of insulin to reduce blood sugar would metformin be a suitable alternative in reducing blood sugar ?

As to my new life I am learning fast but not really doing much for my BM reduction with is very frustrating. Ohh yes the Crohn's appears to also have messed up my joints too ... poor me.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
I was asking if steriod inhalers for asthma caused higher bgs. If so which ones please.

There is little conclusive evidence in medical survey or study to clarify. Some say that the impact of steroid inhalers (and steroid creams) on the blood sugar levels is minimal (but I would argue that minimal is still more than zero) where others disagree and some research indicates a significant risk a non-diabetic users developing diabetes. It does appear to be most likely that corticosteroids (eg. prednisolone) are the higher risk. There are non-steroidal inhalers. I do not know if there are steroid inhalers which do not use corticosteroids. I think holding onto the word "minimal" may be the best option available.

JohnnyBaker87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
I have Asperger Syndrome which is an autism spectrum condition and a full diagnosis of Adult ADHD which are characterised by impairments in social communication, social interaction and social imagination. I also have a rigid and somewhat unpredictable routine. I also experience obsessive rituals, some a bit overwhelming. But I have a talent in articulate creative writing skills and possess a photographic rote memory. I have sensory sensitivity and get upset by loud noises, bright colours or lights, and notice the texture and consistency of certain foods more making my dietary choices extremely limited or restricted to certain food components. I dislike conflict and lies. The Adult ADHD also makes me very moody and cross.
Just eaten a big fat juicy doner kebab with plenty of flavour, plenty of sauces, plenty of salad and plenty of meat.

My blood glucose reading after eating it was 6.7 mmol/L.

JohnnyBaker87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Blood sugar at 10:51 AM BST:- 6.8 mmol/L.
Food:- Cheesy Meat-feast deep pan pizza
Mood: Happy, contented, proud to be 24 hours quit from RYO cigarettes, proud of my mum and dad for working hard, conditioning me impeccably, teaching me to say my prayers and giving me everything and teaching me right from wrong.

JohnnyBaker87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Blood Glucose Reading At 4:54 Ante Meridian British Summer Time on Thursday 27th July 2017 Anno Domini: 9.1 mmol/L.
Food Eaten: - Sainsbury's Meat-Feast Deep Pan Pizza with Chopped Ham And Pork, Minced Beef Grains, Pepperoni, Mozzarella Cheese, grated, tomato puree, grated red onion, plain flour, butter, water - £1.20 each - an abundance of complex carbohydrates and fat saturates and possibly added glucose and sodium hydrochloride
Mood: - Happy, chilled, contented, optimistic
Activity: - Apart from sweeping up some spilt porridge oats, none; sedentary
Self-Care: - Not too bad, no showers, episode of urinary urge incontinence and frequency loading and urinary nocturnal enuresis, possessed no volition to adopt a sanitary level of hygiene

Reactions: 13lizanne

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi everyone. I will try and get on-line in ernest sometime today or tomorrow. Hands full with kids and hospital appointments. I have a physio session booked for monday so hoping she can advise on how I can get rid of bulging discs. I really want to be able to jog some weight off too after my op. Exercise will help with loose skin side affect of operation. I may use an old fashioned African solution that new mums use. We'll see.
Hope everyone is able to get on to post freely. Forum still slow for me.
Regards ickihun ♡♥♡

JohnnyBaker87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Blood Glucose Reading at 7:37 Ante Meridian British Summer Time on Thursday 27th July 2017 Anno Domini:- 5.7 mmol/L.
Diet: - Nothing - just three small glasses of tap water.
Activity: - A brisk walk from my property to my best friend's property. He is a wonderfully supportive and kind friend that buys me doner kebabs, fried breakfasts and does the cleaning for me to assist me with my Asperger Syndrome, Borderline Personality Disorder and Musculoskeletal Abnormalities. He also always gives me something nice to eat and I like to reciprocate when he visits my property.
Mood: - Very good indeed, excellent, but still frightfully low in motivation, if I'm honest.
Achievements: - Excellent compliance with medication, good blood glucose levels, good hbA1c, and approaching 48 Hour Quit from tobacco.

(Edited by a mod to remove personal information).

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnnyBaker87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
This is an upload of my best friend Lee Collingwood whom I am grateful for his friendship, companionship and support.

webcam-toy-photo2 (1).jpg
webcam-toy-photo2 (1).jpg

Reactions: 13lizanne

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
A bit annoyed as my palpatations are back since the weekend. So..... I have to go and see my gp. I'm fed up of going. He's a lovely gp but you can see too much of medics. I have 2 hospital appointments next week already. Had 2 this week and occupying the kids inbetween.
I will call for an appointment tomorrow for tuesday morning, hopefully.

tina_marie

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
patronising people an those who lie.
A bit annoyed as my palpatations are back since the weekend. So..... I have to go and see my gp. I'm fed up of going. He's a lovely gp but you can see too much of medics. I have 2 hospital appointments next week already. Had 2 this week and occupying the kids inbetween.
I will call for an appointment tomorrow for tuesday morning, hopefully.
Fingers crossed you can get it sorted , always here for you. X

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

JohnnyBaker87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Blood Glucose Reading at 11:11 Post Meridian British Summer Time on Thursday 27th July 2017 Anno Domini:- 5.0 mmol/L.
Diet: - Chicken Deep Pan Pizza (3:15 PM), 2 Sausages, Mashed Potatoes, green garden peas and gravy ready meal (9:05 PM), 1 glass of unsweetened freshly squeezed orange juice (9:30 PM) and 1 tin of sardines in olive oil (10:00 PM).
Activity: - Sedentary.
Smoking Cessation: - 61 Hours Quit.
Mood: - Happy, contented, optimistic, chilled.
Recreational time: - Watched 2 Star Wars movies; Return Of The Jedi and The Phantom Menace.

Ian_Laye

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Blood Glucose Reading At 4:54 Ante Meridian British Summer Time on Thursday 27th July 2017 Anno Domini: 9.1 mmol/L.
Food Eaten: - Sainsbury's Meat-Feast Deep Pan Pizza with Chopped Ham And Pork, Minced Beef Grains, Pepperoni, Mozzarella Cheese, grated, tomato puree, grated red onion, plain flour, butter, water - £1.20 each - an abundance of complex carbohydrates and fat saturates and possibly added glucose and sodium hydrochloride
Mood: - Happy, chilled, contented, optimistic
Activity: - Apart from sweeping up some spilt porridge oats, none; sedentary
Self-Care: - Not too bad, no showers, episode of urinary urge incontinence and frequency loading and urinary nocturnal enuresis, possessed no volition to adopt a sanitary level of hygiene
You should remove your address from your profile.

JohnnyBaker87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes