1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 Life

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by emptyplate, Aug 4, 2015.

1. JohnnyBaker12021970

JohnnyBaker12021970 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi, to all my friends on Type 2 Life,

So far I've eaten a few biscuits and had heaps of mugs of tea with sugar to avoid hypoglycaemia coz I don't have very substantial food until Pet - Ioanna - pays me back some time tonight or tomorrow.

I'm planning to buy some chicken thighs on Tuesday with my Carer and a pot of Dunn's River Jerk Seasoning so that I can enjoy jerk chicken with Lee sometime next week. Plus tonnes of ready meals and cheesy deep pan pizzas.

My blood glucose reading now at 5:16 PM is 8.1 mmol/L, a bit high, but not too bad.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  2. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Expert

You don't have main meal early do you? Personally i find if i eat at 5pm by 11.30pm I can start rising. On top of a 8 or 9mmol/l after meal it can easily reach 10s before bed.
    A liver dump can happen at any time of the day. A time of fasting/ a while since food. I'm now on a good basal insulin so i dont see it as much and i still use metformin for hormone unbalances.
    Have you tried eating something small before sleep. A fatty protein? Nuts or cheese or pork scratchings?
    I find it can reduce my fbg by 2 or 3mmol/l less.
    Are you looking for those naughty spiking foods with your meter?

It can be so worth remembering to do. It reduces my hba1c. Less glucose circulating and causing possible damage hun.

• Like Like x 1
  3. P1ckle

P1ckle Type 2 · Well-Known Member

How long between food? Or is it trial and error per person? I'm planning on starting low carb strictly when I get back from holiday. Not sure I can manage it while away but will try my best.
    Just been through a patch of steroids and new steroid inhaler for asthma. Bg's seem not to have settled since.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Expert

That's useful info as @Rachox was wondering if preventer influences diabetic bgs, as I was too?
    Do you think brown preventer is ok but other stronger inhalers might affect bgs? Or is it solely having a stressed body due to asthma is making bgs higher?

• Like Like x 1
  5. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Expert

Strict low carb will definitely benefit you @P1ckle . ;) It will give you an idea how food plays it sometimes big part in higher bgs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Is @P1ckle saying she's been on steroid tablets as well as inhalers? I know the brown inhaler is one of the weaker ones, but I was curious if starting on it a couple of months before my Type 2 diagnosis had any significance?

• Like Like x 2
  7. P1ckle

I've been on symbicort 200/6 for 3months now as well as montelukast for my asthma. Haven't had oral steroids for 2 months but bg's have been up since I started the sym and came out of hosp. Not looking to blame it on that, just wonder if it plays a part. Breathing is kinda important apparently lol.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  8. Rachox

I'm quite new to this diabetes lark, only diagnosed in May, so eager to learn everything that may affect my blood sugars. It seems it can be a difficult balancing act if you have more than one health issue. I hope you are well now after your hospital stay @P1ckle

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. P1ckle

I was diagnosed 2 years ago but I feel like I don't know anything. It's a general "things are all up in the air with me". It'll settle down.
    Loads of help here x

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  10. P1ckle

Also, it appears, I have the ability to kill chats sorryyyyyy

• Hug Hug x 1
  11. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Expert

Have I missed something? Again.

How are you @P1ckle ?
    Is it slow on here?
    I'm off and on at mo.
    I'm getting the kids's uniform in, minus shoes, so we can have some fun days out.
    I might not be on some days but on more on others.

How is your bgs lately, better?

12. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Expert

13. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Expert

14. Rachox

I'm doing well thanks ickihun , thanks for asking. I'm still basking in my last week's HbA1c result. I've managed to introduce two squares of 85% chocolate after my evening meal without adversely affecting my blood sugars. I never used to like it, I found it too bitter, but I think my tastes have change cos I'm really enjoying it now. How are you @ickihun ?

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Expert

I'm relaxed and just off to bed bg is 4.8 so it should be similiar in the morning. No toddler dramas excluded.
    Hope you've had a productive day @Rachox .
    Hoping to catch you for longer tomorrow. Nite nite.

• Like Like x 1
  16. JohnnyBaker12021970

Hi, to all my friends on Type 2 Life, my favourite thread of the http://www.diabetes.co.uk Forum,

It's been a couple, maybe 3 days since I logged on, I had to personal message @13lizanne coz I hadn't logged on for a while and the Type 2 Life thread had mysteriously disappeared off of the list of Threads under Type 2 Diabetes. I do get a bit confused, however high-functioning with my Asperger Syndrome, with certain websites and the complex technicalities of them. @13lizanne recommended I go to "Watched threads" at the top of the page and search for Type 2 Life because it could have drifted off the list of threads with the creation, participation of new threads. This is my favourite thread because I have a whole heap of 'new' online friends here and they are the reason why, I'm convinced, and because of Jesus, why my type of diabetes has improved so much.

I've got British Gas coming to instal brand new Smart meters in my flat between 8 and 1. So far today, I've eaten 1 tomato sandwich and had 2 mugs of hot coffee with 3 sugars each and milk powder.

My blood sugar now at 8:36 am BST was 10.8 mmol/L which was a bit hyperglycaemic so I acknowledge I've got to try harder.

Much love,

From Johnny, a sufferer of Asperger Syndrome, Borderline Personality Disorder, Musculoskeletal Disorder, Idiopathic Megarectum, Urge Incontinence and Enuresis. x X x.

• Winner Winner x 3
  17. JohnnyBaker12021970

I'm very well indeed, thank you, @ickihun, although I get dull muscular pain in my lower to right-hand side of my back and some in the quadriceps muscle tendon in my left-hand thigh as well as some itchy, irritant gnat bites on my upper arm near my shoulder and lower part of my shin on my right leg, my mental health is very good. I lit a candle for you last Sunday in my flat and prayed for your healing and a happy life for you, my friend. We've got some nice new people on Type 2 Life. I see.

• Hug Hug x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Expert

If you get lost again @JohnnyBaker12021970 I will tag you here. You'll soon find your way home. ;)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  19. JohnnyBaker12021970

Hi, to all my lovely friends on Type 2 Life,

Yesterday I ate a few tomato sandwiches and a cheesy deep pan chicken, sweet pepper and red onion pizza.

I was woken up a little after four o'clock in the morning by my good friend, Lee, who came around for some company. He's asleep on my two-seater Chocolate brown sofa with my tiger blanket over him to keep him warm.

So far, I drank one mug of coffee with three sugars and Coffeemate Light.

My blood glucose reading now at 5:47 ante meridian BST is 4.8 mmol/L. Excellent!

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. 13lizanne

13lizanne Type 2 · Expert

Good morning Johnny, I hope that you and Lee have a happy and healthy day

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook