Type 2? Low calorie diet can work

clanca1234

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've not posted here before (but have frequently read the forums). However, having been browsing the threads on low calorie diets, I thought I'd share that if you've recently been diagnosed with type 2, there is hope.

I have been overweight for years. Last autumn I had my blood sugar tested as part of some other tests, and found that my hba1c was a rather horrible 10.1%. This was something of a shock, as I always thought that type 2 diabetes was something that happened to other people, but the diagnosis was made instantly.

That was on November 6th last year. I immediately decided to lose weight, and started on a low calorie diet of between 800 and 1000 calories per day. For the last five months, all I've eaten every day (other than Christmas Day) is exactly the same - a small bowl of NAS muesli with skimmed milk for breakfast, a slim-a-soup for lunch (with a banana every second day), and baked turkey breast with a small baked potato and green vegetables in the evening. Other than the occasional Slimfast porridge when I am struggling, that's all I've eaten literally every day for five months. And when I say it's all I've eaten, I have not had one mouthful of food other than what's described above, or drunk anything other than water and tea. I'm also on 2000mg of metformin a day. However, due to unpleasant side-effects if I take as much of this, I've only been taking 1000mg per day.

After five months, I've lost a total of six-and-a-half-stone (41 kilos). Yesterday I had the results through of my first h1abc since diagnosis. I hoped it would be reduced, but I was rather startled to find that it was down by 4.6% to 5.5% -- so well within the normal range. I've now been taken off metformin, to see if the h1abc stays low.

I'm not posting this to boast, because I feel stupid having failed to look after myself in the first place, and I know I have to continue doing what I've been doing to keep my blood sugar down. I'm just trying to say that if you're as miserable, depressed and scared as I was when diagnosed, then there is some hope. If you're overweight, there is probably a diet out there for you. I'm not sure I would recommend mine - it's rather dull, but it has the very big advantage that you don't have to think about what to eat, or ponder different recipes of food; it just becomes a routine that you settle into. But if I can do this (and I'm a weak-willed fool), I'm sure other people can as well. Don't give up!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum :)

Well done on your improved HbA1c! What are your plans for the future? Will you change your diet at all or carry on with the same one?

clanca1234

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think it's the same for now, as I could still do with losing a bit more. The challenge will be getting back onto a more 'normal' diet. I suspect there are many people who manage to lose weight and reduce hba1c, but then get back into bad habits again. If anybody has any tips...

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome... Great work! What was you starting weight and bmi before the weight loss?

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @clanca1234 .. and welcome
Well done on your results .. excellent numbers :happy:

clanca1234

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi and welcome... Great work! What was you starting weight and bmi before the weight loss?

Weight was just over 22 stone (which is an awful lot, even though I'm six foot five). Now 15.5, but would like to get to about 14. The hard thing will be keeping it (and the HbA1c) down.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congrats clanca1234!

Your question is interesting.

Perhaps you could add a small salad of leafy greens and other raw vegetables topped with a vinaigrette of 2 parts extra virgin olive oil and 1 part of your favorite vinegar to your lunch and/or dinner. I personally like red cabbage, tomato, and julienned carrots. Sometimes I add raw nuts or fresh, in season berries (though frozen berries are good too). I also include non-starchy vegetables with my breakfast, but I eat 1 egg omelets for breakfast.

For lunch, I often make a batch of minestrone soup with 7 different vegetables, stewed and diced tomatoes and kidney beans. I then ladle it into glass jars, freezing half the jars, refrigerating the other half for that week. For additional protein, I'll add a side of raw nuts, and top the soup with grated cheese. For additional fiber and enzymes, I'll also have a raw carrot.

Citrus is in season right now. For an after meal treat, I cut an organic orange into half inch slices then eat half a slice with the peel, in part to cut the sweetness, in part for the extra vitamin C, fiber, and nutrients. It's a bit of an acquired taste, but I like it.

To make side dishes of sauted vegetables more interesting, I use a variety of strategies. Sometimes I'll add onion, sliced mushrooms, or a small amount of sliced or diced yam. I eventually hope to have an herb garden so I can begin learning how to incorporate fresh herbs into my foods.

When I started eating healthy two years ago, one of my goals was to increase my intake of cooked and raw, above ground, non-starchy vegetables. This was important for me because I don't tolerate grains well, so I needed to up my plant based fiber intake to improve the health of my gut flora.

Now that you've lost the weight, this would be a good time to begin using a glucose meter so you can see how foods effect your glucose levels. For me personally, anything with grain based flours spikes my glucose levels too much, but I can have an occasional treat made with almond meal. Other sources of fiber, small amounts of beans or legumes, small amounts of yam with skin on are okay, but I don't tolerate more than two tablespoons well.

I, like you, only drink tea and water. Right now, I'm drinking black tea in the morning, green tea after lunch, and organic rooibos tea in the evening. In the summer, I like making fresh lemonade sweetened with a very small amount of pure stevia. I find that eating sweet foods can be triggering, so the sourness of the lemon works well for me.

With testing, I know when I have a glucose spike and can walk it off, often in as little as 20 minutes.

Will follow this thread. Am interested in reading how you navigate this transition. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jamesuk9

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Weight was just over 22 stone (which is an awful lot, even though I'm six foot five). Now 15.5, but would like to get to about 14. The hard thing will be keeping it (and the HbA1c) down.

take my hat off to you mate, if you maintain you've cracked it, very well done.