Type 2. New to forum.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome back @Teammidwife :)

The "@" notifies the person that you replied to them, but they'll also be notified that someone replied to the topic.

Sounds like you're off to a good start. I found this forum within days of my re-diagnosis of type 2 diabetes. This is a great place to learn and ask questions.

Walking is also a great way to bring glucose levels down. In the beginning, you may not see much change, but over time as you become more insulin sensitive, you'll be amazed by what a difference a 10 - 15 minute walk makes. I often walk an hour and a half after lunch or dinner. When I have a high glucose reading, I can knock a glucose level down by up to 80 mg/dl. More if I have a ridiculously high glucose reading, but that requires a 40 to 60 minute walk.

There's all kinds of strategies that can be used to knock glucose levels down. :)

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hello @Teammidwife - Your HBA1C was 48.:). Below are the categories for HBA1C Range.

Normal. = Below 42. - below 6.0%.
Prediabetic. = 42 to 47. - 6.0 to 6.4%.
Diabetic. = 48 or over. - 6.5% or over.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Teammidwife you are doing really well. I find that I avoid all cakes and pastries but use my carbs for treats like a pomegranate pot 100g of which 11 g carbs or nuts.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, when were you diagnosed? You seem to have got your HbA1 down really quickly. Thank you for responding to my post
November 15th last year.
I was thinking that it would take perhaps a year to get normal numbers, but at the second full test at the beginning of February I went to the clinic and got the results, and the doctor had put NFR - no further action. I was actually shocked, didn't know if I should laugh or cry - did both, as it wasn't all that difficult - I had expected to have a real struggle to get down to below diabetic numbers, particularly over Christmas, though I did resist most temptations.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Teammidwife I have checked my bs and made sure it doesn't cause a spike. If you have a target of so many carbs per day and track your food, I use myfitnesspal, then you know how many carbs you've had and if you can have something. Like the Hartleys pots of, no added sugar jelly. I aim for less than 60 g of carb per day but everybody is different . I hope this helps

Reactions: Liam1955

Teammidwife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Teammidwife I have checked my bs and made sure it doesn't cause a spike. If you have a target of so many carbs per day and track your food, I use myfitnesspal, then you know how many carbs you've had and if you can have something. Like the Hartleys pots of, no added sugar jelly. I aim for less than 60 g of carb per day but everybody is different . I hope this helps
"Mo53 hi again. I had my HbA1 done yesterday and the diabetes nurse told me to ring for the result. When I saw her yesterday I discovered that at the end of 2012 I had been tested routinely and had a result of 48 but had never been told I had diabetes in March last year with a result of 59 I was told I had diabetes ( so had it for over 3 years, them!). My result from yesterday is 42 and apparantly was seen by a GP and recorded as satisfactory and the receptionist rang and told me the GP had left instructions to stop my metformin. Currently on 3 x 500mg per day. Would you think this is ok just to stop, I have been told to have it repeated in 6 months. I have decided to ring and try to speak to the GP in question or the diabetes nurse.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @Teammidwife wow fancy not telling you for 3 years! It seems strange to stop all 3 metformin at once after only one blood test. I think I would be the same as you and want this verified. You've done well to lower your result. :)

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"Mo53 hi again. I had my HbA1 done yesterday and the diabetes nurse told me to ring for the result. When I saw her yesterday I discovered that at the end of 2012 I had been tested routinely and had a result of 48 but had never been told I had diabetes in March last year with a result of 59 I was told I had diabetes ( so had it for over 3 years, them!). My result from yesterday is 42 and apparantly was seen by a GP and recorded as satisfactory and the receptionist rang and told me the GP had left instructions to stop my metformin. Currently on 3 x 500mg per day. Would you think this is ok just to stop, I have been told to have it repeated in 6 months. I have decided to ring and try to speak to the GP in question or the diabetes nurse.
@Teammidwife It is a lot easier to stop than restart :D Apparently metformin has some other properties that make it 'desirable'
Just keep a check on your blood sugars from time to time. What meter do you have? The favourites here are SD codefree, and Tee2 as the strips are the cheapest
And very well done on your results

Teammidwife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Teammidwife It is a lot easier to stop than restart :D Apparently metformin has some other properties that make it 'desirable'
Just keep a check on your blood sugars from time to time. What meter do you have? The favourites here are SD codefree, and Tee2 as the strips are the cheapest
@walnut_face thank you for your reply. I have a Select Plus meter, buying the strips from Amazon at £12. Yesterday the nurse gave me an Accu-chek nana and a prescription for 50 strips, but she made it plain it was a one-off. I am scared that without the meds my sugars will go up, even with careful eating
Hello @Teammidwife wow fancy not telling you for 3 years! It seems strange to stop all 3 metformin at once after only one blood test. I think I would be the same as you and want this verified. You've done well to lower your result. :)
@mo53 hi. Yes, that was my response too and I am scared it will go up again! Am I now not diabetic or prediabetic? Am confused. The nurse did say that she will bring up the fact of the error in not telling me in 2012 stating that reception staff shouldn't pass on the results - yet it was the receptionist who have me this information today and wouldn't let me speak to the nurse and would not ask her to
@walnut_face what is an SD code free and Tee2 and where do you get them?

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello again @Teammidwife I found this information on this website.

HbA1c testing in diagnosing diabetes
The World Health Organisation (WHO) suggests the following diagnostic guidelines for diabetes:

• HbA1c below 42 mmol/mol (6.0%): Non-diabetic
  • HbA1c between 42 and 47 mmol/mol (6.0–6.4%):Impaired glucose regulation (IGR) or Prediabetes
  • HbA1c of 48 mmol/mol (6.5%) or over: Type 2 diabetes
To my reckoning that puts you in the pre diabetic range but that was with the metformin. I think this is very rushed if you get one good result and whoosh stop all medication. I think like you I would want to speak to the doctor.

Teammidwife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello again @Teammidwife I found this information on this website.

HbA1c testing in diagnosing diabetes
The World Health Organisation (WHO) suggests the following diagnostic guidelines for diabetes:

• HbA1c below 42 mmol/mol (6.0%): Non-diabetic
  • HbA1c between 42 and 47 mmol/mol (6.0–6.4%):Impaired glucose regulation (IGR) or Prediabetes
  • HbA1c of 48 mmol/mol (6.5%) or over: Type 2 diabetes
To my reckoning that puts you in the pre diabetic range but that was with the metformin. I think this is very rushed if you get one good result and whoosh stop all medication. I think like you I would want to speak to the doctor.
@mo53 Thanks for that information. As you may have guessed, it is difficult to get to speak to anyone at the surgery (other than the receptionist!) The fact that I was never informed or followed up in 2012 doesn't give me too much confidence and I do not know the doctor in question who is obviously new to the practice (and is not working tomorrow). I will be on the phone early tomorrow and hopefully will be able to speak to someone. I would prefer to reduce slowly and test in 3 months, but obviously need their agreement as they write the prescriptions! Thanks again for your support.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Teammidwife I think your plan sounds excellent. Good luck tomorrow and please keep in touch and let me know how you get on. Mo:)

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hi @Teammidwife - SD Codefree Blood Glucose Meter and TEE2 Meter.
For The SD Codefree here is the link:
http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose/
State you are Diabetic for vat exemption. And we use mmol/L here in the UK.
If buying Test Srips in bulk (which work out even cheaper) these are the discount codes:
5 packs = 264086. 10 packs. = 975833.

And for the TEE2 here is the link:
http://spirit-healthcare.com/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/
The TEE2 Meter is Free. Test Srips and Lancets are reasonably priced.

Reactions: AM1874

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Teammidwife I'm back at work again after a week off home sick with a cold so I'm not able to keep up with the forum right now. :(

My personal preference is to learn how to manage the diabetes, pre-diabetes or type 2, with the low carb diet and physical activity, but that's me...

My impression is that metformin is the safest as compared to the other diabetes medications, so that's good.

Whatever you decide to do, you'll be fine so long as you maintain your focus on learning how to do the low carb diet and continue to engage in regular, physical exercise. Checking your glucose levels daily will keep you on task. It took me a good 4 weeks on the diet with walking before my glucose levels became more stable. I was very impatient. It's okay if you feel that way too. With each month, the frustration lessens and is replaced with a greater sense of control.

Forum members here will help you each step of the way. You're off to a great start. Keep going. :)

Reactions: Liam1955 and Prem51

Teammidwife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@walnut_face thank you for your reply. I have a Select Plus meter, buying the strips from Amazon at £12. Yesterday the nurse gave me an Accu-chek nana and a prescription for 50 strips, but she made it plain it was a one-off. I am scared that without the meds my sugars will go up, even with careful eating

@mo53 hi. Yes, that was my response too and I am scared it will go up again! Am I now not diabetic or prediabetic? Am confused. The nurse did say that she will bring up the fact of the error in not telling me in 2012 stating that reception staff shouldn't pass on the results - yet it was the receptionist who have me this information today and wouldn't let me speak to the nurse and would not ask her to

@walnut_face what is an SD code free and Tee2 and where do you get them?
@mo53, @Winnie53 just to update following your helpful comments, I spoke to the diabetes nurse this morning and she suggests I reduce to 1 x 500mg metformin per day and have bloods done in 12 weeks. I feel much happier with this. I was scared to start the Meds and now I am scared to stop! Because I buy the test strips (as nearly all of us do) my husband said, "why don't you just test once a week?" - I don't think he understands the rationale behind testing, I think he just sees the financial costs. @walnut_face I have looked on Amazon and the test strips you mentioned are cheaper, so I may switch to those and buy a new meter when my current strips run out (have just ordered 2x50)

Teammidwife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Teammidwife - SD Codefree Blood Glucose Meter and TEE2 Meter.
For The SD Codefree here is the link:
http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose/
State you are Diabetic for vat exemption. And we use mmol/L here in the UK.
If buying Test Srips in bulk (which work out even cheaper) these are the discount codes:
5 packs = 264086. 10 packs. = 975833.

And for the TEE2 here is the link:
http://spirit-healthcare.com/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/
The TEE2 Meter is Free. Test Srips and Lancets are reasonably priced.
@Liam1955 thanks for the information on strips (I am in the UK), I had only looked on eBay and Amazon. With regard to VAT why would anyone want to be doing this if they were not diabetic .?

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Teammidwife thanks for letting us know. That is a much more sensible solution isn't it? A reduction and a retest in 12 weeks is a good plan. Well done for achieving this. :)