Type 2. New to forum.

Teammidwife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome back @Teammidwife :)

The "@" notifies the person that you replied to them, but they'll also be notified that someone replied to the topic.

Sounds like you're off to a good start. I found this forum within days of my re-diagnosis of type 2 diabetes. This is a great place to learn and ask questions.

Walking is also a great way to bring glucose levels down. In the beginning, you may not see much change, but over time as you become more insulin sensitive, you'll be amazed by what a difference a 10 - 15 minute walk makes. I often walk an hour and a half after lunch or dinner. When I have a high glucose reading, I can knock a glucose level down by up to 80 mg/dl. More if I have a ridiculously high glucose reading, but that requires a 40 to 60 minute walk.

There's all kinds of strategies that can be used to knock glucose levels down. :)
@Winnie53 can I ask how long you'd been treated before you were in the "normal" range and how long before you were re diagnosed? As I am at present in the prediabetic range, will I still have diabetic eye screening? I have joined a running club doing "walk to run in eight weeks", first meeting/run on March 29th. A few years ago I started doing the weekly park run 5K, but I had an accident which meant I had to stop. I'm not a runner, but hoping I can get going again, as you say, a brisk walk or jog/run will help my glucose levels. Thank you for your encouragement.

Reactions: mo53

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Teammidwife I understand your concerns about stopping metformin. I had/have the same worries. I didn't want to start, and conversely not stop. But stop I have, they seem to make little if any difference to readings. I have to admit I am not testing at the moment as I am away, and flying, hand luggage only. I do have some metformin in the cupboard should I want to restart. Because of its' other beneficial properties, I will start taking them again. In the meantime it is heartening to think that I don't HAVe to take drugs every day to stay alive. I find this forum very supportive, even when you make what turns out to be a dumb choice. No one will tell you that, nor is there a stupid question here, but perhaps a stupid answer sometimes :)

Edit: forgot to say I do parkrun too, where I run you wont come last. There is always a 'tail end charlie' to make sure we are all finished and safe.

Teammidwife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Teammidwife I understand your concerns about stopping metformin. I had/have the same worries. I didn't want to start, and conversely not stop. But stop I have, they seem to make little if any difference to readings. I have to admit I am not testing at the moment as I am away, and flying, hand luggage only. I do have some metformin in the cupboard should I want to restart. Because of its' other beneficial properties, I will start taking them again. In the meantime it is heartening to think that I don't HAVe to take drugs every day to stay alive. I find this forum very supportive, even when you make what turns out to be a dumb choice. No one will tell you that, nor is there a stupid question here, but perhaps a stupid answer sometimes :)

Edit: forgot to say I do parkrun too, where I run you wont come last. There is always a 'tail end charlie' to make sure we are all finished and safe.
@walnut_face. Thanks for your reassuring reply. I am now testing when I get up and before and after evening meal. Have had a couple of higher-than-usual readings but continue metformin with evening meal. Have started a food diary so that I can be really strict about what I eat. Looking forward to meeting the other runners in the beginners group tomorrow and hoping the consequences of my injuries don't mean I can't manage it. Thanks again

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For information taking your meter in hand luggage doesn't seem to be a problem. Certainly I wasn't even asked about it the two times I travelled to Germany this year.

Endydo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello. I can't seem to get the hang of the forum which is why you've not had a reply! I have changed my diet, though am not strictly following the LCHF programme. My last HbA1c had reduced and I have lost some weight. I am having my HbA1c checked again on Monday as the practice nurse (quite rightly) thinks I will have made poor choices over Christmas and that it will be higher again. My trouble is lack of will power and I know it! Am feeling a bit down at the moment and finding it difficult to accept that I am stuck with this for good. However, I don't want to bring anyone else down, so will persevere.

Hi Teamwife, don't worry about bringing us down. You have the same problem all of us have. I get discouraged too, but honestly having Diabetes kind of saved my life!! Prior to my diagnosis in 2010, I did NOTHING to take care of myself!! I thought I was invincible and could live any way I wanted without repercussions. It took finding myself in the ICU in diabetic ketoacidosis with kidney failure losing my eyesight to get through to me that I COULD NOT continue to eat what I wanted and stay alive!! I wanted to live so I had to change. It's worth it. BTW, your stories help all of us so DON'T be hesitant to share!!