Type 2 on no meds hypo?

Buttons11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had such a bad week, following the death of my father after a long illness, lots of family complications (and rows) I have been under so much stress. For 5 days I only ate one meal a day, OK, that's fasting I thought. Yesterday I ate nothing at all, but I did drink (plenty) of wine in the evening. I woke up several times in the night feeling terrible, got up at 6am, not hungover, but sweating, shaking, feeling unsteady. I managed to get downstairs and do a test.. My vision was so blurred I thought I hadn't got enough blood on the test stick and was expecting an error, but was surprised when it gave me a reading of 3.1
In response I ate half a packet of biscuits (I'm depressed, so at least it wasn't the whole packet) and probably an hour later it was 10.4. I've kept an eye on it for the rest of the day and although I've mostly felt pretty rough, I've been down to 6s
I thought type 2s couldn't get hypos unless they were on certain medications? I know alcohol lowers bs, so could it be the effect of that, with having no food?
Comments anyone?
(Not that I'm planning to do it again in a hurry)

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes type 2's with no meds or even non diabetics can and do get hypos but they are not that common. Usually the liver will kick in and bring things back up to normal but the alcohol combined with not much food may have been keeping your liver too busy.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
I have had such a bad week, following the death of my father after a long illness, lots of family complications (and rows) I have been under so much stress. For 5 days I only ate one meal a day, OK, that's fasting I thought. Yesterday I ate nothing at all, but I did drink (plenty) of wine in the evening. I woke up several times in the night feeling terrible, got up at 6am, not hungover, but sweating, shaking, feeling unsteady. I managed to get downstairs and do a test.. My vision was so blurred I thought I hadn't got enough blood on the test stick and was expecting an error, but was surprised when it gave me a reading of 3.1
In response I ate half a packet of biscuits (I'm depressed, so at least it wasn't the whole packet) and probably an hour later it was 10.4. I've kept an eye on it for the rest of the day and although I've mostly felt pretty rough, I've been down to 6s
I thought type 2s couldn't get hypos unless they were on certain medications? I know alcohol lowers bs, so could it be the effect of that, with having no food?
Comments anyone?
(Not that I'm planning to do it again in a hurry)

Type 2s who are on very low carb diets (like myself) have to watch they don't drop to low but that is not so common...unless they are also on meds like say Gliclazide. I've had couple. That said, the combination of little food (possible too few carbs) with alcohol and of course stress...no doubt contributed. Sorry to hear about your father...your mind and body are not so separate when it comes to grief and stress and tiredness. I hope it was a blip (which it probably was).

Reactions: Buttons11

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
@Buttons11 , In my humble and absolutely non-medical opinion, I think @chalup has got it spot on. The (completely understandable) self-medication of wine pre-occupied your liver to the extent that it didn't get round to chucking out sugar and you plummeted.
Well-done for having the presence of mind to do a test, (keep your meter upstairs?) but glucose tablets are a quicker, safer and more easily measured "antidote".
I'm sorry for what you've been through with your family, any part of which may well have sent your sugar levels and moods up and down. I'm sending more virtual hugs.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I'm type 2 and before I started on a low carb way of eating I fairly regularly would hypo even though I was on Metformin and then later on other meds. I think emotions can play a big part in the levels of our BG - when I am stressed or in pain my BG does some weird things going (unpredictably both up and down).

If I were you I'd keep a really close eye on my BG but be easy on myself until things get a bit more back to normal (yes, I know its easy to say rather than to do). Just make sure you've got something with you at all times in case of hypo.

I agree that booze can make BG drop (doesn't stop me having a glass or two though!)

*Big hug coming your way*

Reactions: Buttons11