Type 2 reversal did not work for me.

Wiz_dog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Offal!!
Hi, I was diagnosed 12 yrs ago with type 2 even though I was super fit and not overweight. Within 3 months of being diagnosed I
was put on Novarapid and Levimir. In July, after doing a lot of research and my GP contacting Newcastle university I started the 8 wk 800 calorie/50 carb a day diet and lost 2 stone 7lb - I was told to stop losing weight as I was beginning to look ill but I felt fantastic but unfortunately it did not reverse my diabetes in fact at the end of the 8 wks my HBA1C was up to 84!!. I thought they had it wrong and that I must be a type 1 but apparently not. I feel really low about it as I have worked so hard on the diet and I have always been very active and eaten healthy. I am now back to injecting 4 times a day and really had enough:(

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you pursued the reasons why they think you are not Type 1? Did you have the c-peptide test, and if so, what were the results?

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
Just to say don't get despondent, even if it hasn't reversed your diabetes, it made you feel good. I wouldn't worry too much about what type you are, it is obvious that your body requires insulin. If you can find a lifestyle that makes you feel healthy and happy as well that is all you need. Hope you have a lovely Christmas and feel positive in the New Year.

Reactions: Prem51

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am eating low carb, with no restriction on calories, and my BG average is dropping each week. I was diagnosed at 17.1 mmol/l and the average reading, including after meals is now 7.2. As you are on insulin it would need careful calculation, lots of monitoring, but have you considered eating fewer carbs?
I really need to lose weight now after trying to lower my cholesterol by diet, but when on low carb I could manage my weight very well, either maintaining or losing as I chose, which does give a very powerful sense of being in control, which might be of some help in your situation. I know that losing a stone since diagnosis has cheered me up wonderfully well.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi, I was diagnosed 12 yrs ago with type 2 even though I was super fit and not overweight. Within 3 months of being diagnosed I
was put on Novarapid and Levimir. In July, after doing a lot of research and my GP contacting Newcastle university I started the 8 wk 800 calorie/50 carb a day diet and lost 2 stone 7lb - I was told to stop losing weight as I was beginning to look ill but I felt fantastic but unfortunately it did not reverse my diabetes in fact at the end of the 8 wks my HBA1C was up to 84!!. I thought they had it wrong and that I must be a type 1 but apparently not. I feel really low about it as I have worked so hard on the diet and I have always been very active and eaten healthy. I am now back to injecting 4 times a day and really had enough:(

Was that using optifast?
Were you monitored by the doctor during the diet period?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The fact is that some of us don't manage to reverse T2. I didn't, but I do have better control now.

I agree with @Bluetit1802 and think you should push for more tests to rule out T1/T1.5. There are a few people on this forum who were wrongly diagnosed as T2 and maybe they can help you. @Daibell ? I'm not saying that this is what has happened in your case @Wiz_dog , but it's certainly worth checking out.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry the reduced carbs and low cal did not work for you .. I had success .. but I went low carb and ignored the cals .. 50g of carbs a day would be way to high for me to get my numbers where I wanted them. If you are still T2 then give your self a rest .. then do try the low carb high fat way of eating .. keeping up your fats should slow down the weight loss and give you lots of energy .. but keep the carbs low .. I was on 20g a day to reach my remission. BUT please be very careful with your insulin with this reduced carbs, take advice from your DSN first.

What were your before and 2hrs after bs eating numbers like when on the reduced carb diet ?

Reactions: Prem51 and kokhongw

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Hello Wiz_dog. I have been Diabetic for about 20 years and as I spend about 9 months of the year in Uganda and eat mostly carbs but they are FRESH carbs. I was put on Insulin about 4 years ago because tablets could no longer control my BS. I inject twice a day, morning and evening, Humulin M3 which is a mixture of soluble and Isophane.

In the morning I was taking 60 units and in the evening I took 40 units. In the morning my fasting BS would be between 4 and 6 but usually about 5. My HbA1c was usually between 8.6 and 9. My Doctor put me on a slow release Metformin and my HbA1c dropped to 7.3 and I was able to reduce my Insulin to 40 in the morning and 30 at night.

I hope to start the LCHF diet when I return to the UK in January permanently. If I find it successful I will post it on this Forum.
There is lots of good advice on the Forum so keep reading it. Talk to your Doctor about Humulin M3 and stick to the LCHF diet but DON'T TELL YOUR DOCTOR yet. NHS recommends HGH CARB but people on this forum have found that LOW CARB suits them best.

You seem to be doing all the right things - so don't give up.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The c peptide measures the amount of insulin your pancreas produces. The other test is the GAD test, measuring anti bodies. The two should tell yo what's going on.

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The c peptide measures the amount of insulin your pancreas produces. The other test is the GAD test, measuring anti bodies. The two should tell yo what's going on.

Thankyou Kristin251 when I next visit my Doctor in late January I will ask him about the peptide and the GAD test. Wasn't there a footballer called Gad some years ago?

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I hope you had a wonderful Christmas Day yesterday. We did here in Uganda. My wife and I decided to spend our last Christmas in Uganda with the people we have come to love and work with these past 15 years.

The children of the Sunday School arranged a Nativity play which they practiced themselves without any teachers having an input. They made their own costumes and wrote their own lines from the Bible. Some parts were very innovative but not contradictive to the Scriptural text. The sermon was thoughtful and inspiring linking the Advent of Christ with crucifixion on Calvary.

Afterwards all the children (about 100) received a soft cuddly toy and the whole congregation (about 170) received a bottle of cold soda (outside temperature was about 80 degrees f). Many people stayed behind to enjoy lunch with us which consisted of chicken, beef, rice, roast potatoes, cabbage, and matoke (a vegetable banana), plenty of saturated fats mixed with traditional FRESH carbs.

The whole day (including lunch and the toys) was paid for by the Free Presbyterian Church in Northern Ireland.

In the evening my wife and I were still not hungry so at 9 pm we just had a boiled egg and a tomato sandwich. I checked my blood sugar beforehand and it was 13.9 OH DEAR.

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I forgot to mention, I took some extra Insulin and never got up once in the night - unusual for me.

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Took some extra Insulin before going to bed and I never got up once in the night - unusual for me.

Wiz_dog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Offal!!
Have you pursued the reasons why they think you are not Type 1? Did you have the c-peptide test, and if so, what were the results?
Hi, yes i have had the c-peptide test and they just said the results were negative!.

Wiz_dog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Offal!!
Was that using optifast?
Were you monitored by the doctor during the diet period?
Hi No it was Lighter life I was using. The shakes and soups were great but the meals were not so good. Yes I was monitored by my doctor but also by the Lighter life rep who i saw on a weekly basis - have to say she was brilliant.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Kyambala - loved your. beautiful Christmas Day story :) - can I please ask what you mean by "fresh carbs" is it referring to veggies etc or non processed carbs as well such as potatoes rice etc

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi No it was Lighter life I was using. The shakes and soups were great but the meals were not so good. Yes I was monitored by my doctor but also by the Lighter life rep who i saw on a weekly basis - have to say she was brilliant.

Did you have ongoing blood glucose tests, or was it a beginning and end test?
It does seem odd for a type 2, as normally a calorie deficient diet reduces hba1c, simply by the fact you use the glucose out of necessity during the diet period, even if your hba1c increases again after, providing you are producing insulin, which the c-peptide test is for.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
When the Newcastle Study Diet was 'new' news and was discussed here in some detail I seem to remember Prof Taylor stating that it would work best for those T2's who had been diabetic less than 3 or 4 years, perhaps this is why it didnt work for you, I cant remember the reason why it worked best for that bracket of diabetics but I imagine there must be a reason why he said it burt I cant remember, perhaps someone who looked into it more than I did might have the answer.