Type 2 reversal did not work for me.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I couldn't manage without my runny eggs, either. Maybe try half a slice of your bread fried? I find fried bread (even the white stuff) not too bad for my levels, or better still a low carb bread or Lidl HP roll.

Reactions: Freema

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Resurgam. Fasting BS was 5 at 10.30 and as I didn't feel hungry I had delayed breakfast until 11 am. 2 rashers of bacon, one egg, and one slice of wholemeal bread (need the bread to soak up the egg yolk). Afterwards weighed myself 85 kg. My wife tells me that the bathroom scales weigh 2 kg heavy. So, if she is right, she always is, that means that I have LOST 2 kg in 2 weeks. Sounds good!!! Have been told lunch at 3 pm will be chicken with salad. I am enjoying this "meat rich" cuisine - good job I am a pensioner or I could not afford it. I do not have a private pension.

I ut my bacon and eggs on a bed of fresh young spinach. It does the same job as the bread and is in fact tastier !
esp if drizzle with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and a few seeds first !

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Before eating my evening meal at 7.30 pm I checked my BS it was 7.1.

After my evening meal I took my Insulin and went to take my 2 Metformin tablets.

Guess what. I had forgotten to take my Metformin tablets last night.

No wonder my BS was high.

Sorry my friends – and thanks for your suggestions.

Kyambala.

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I ut my bacon and eggs on a bed of fresh young spinach. It does the same job as the bread and is in fact tastier !
esp if drizzle with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and a few seeds first !

Good evening Cherry. That breakfast sounds nice. My wife likes the idea as well.

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
it is actually very tasty , and really does add to the flavour, I would be converted even without the diabetes !
Good evening Chery. Looking at your profile you really are a "winner". You seem to be approaching your Diabetes like you are going into battle. 2 meals per day! 10,000 steps per day! Puts me to shame - but also stimulates me to try. Congratulations!

Reactions: jonbvn and Freema

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
What did you eat Yesterday ?
Hi Freema. The problem was that I forgot to take my Metformin. Right now it is 11 pm and I feel hungry. I have already eaten 3 good meals today. Even had ICE CREAM at 8.30 pm. If I go to bed hungry I could Hypo in the night.

Perhaps I should eat some Peanuts & Walnuts.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I notised your remark on that seems metformin does quite a lot for you I wonder How much of a difference it does to me . Would really like to come OFF it

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I notised your remark on that seems metformin does quite a lot for you I wonder How much of a difference it does to me . Would really like to come OFF it
Hi Freema. I would like to come off Metformin as well, but it has helped me to reduce my Insulin by more that 20%. I am hoping that LCHF diet will help me reduce Insulin even further - perhaps even get rid of Insulin altogether.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Freema. I would like to come off Metformin as well, but it has helped me to reduce my Insulin by more that 20%. I am hoping that LCHF diet will help me reduce Insulin even further - perhaps even get rid of Insulin altogether.

I am sure it will .

20% is actually a lot more than statiatical claims as far as I am informed ... wish you good luck

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I think you might be very pleasantly surprised to find that the metformin is not actually contributing a great deal to your numbers . if you really want to come off it, why not invest in some home aic tests? do one first, then maybe one per fortnight - If you are starting at 36, then you know you can get back to that with metformin if necessary, but you also have a bit of leeway to see if you can keep control just by diet?

I seem to be stuck around 44 at present, I think that is because my weight loss has stalled a bit too. If I read your numbers right I think you are still managing to lose weight with that you are doing ?

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Freema. The problem was that I forgot to take my Metformin. Right now it is 11 pm and I feel hungry. I have already eaten 3 good meals today. Even had ICE CREAM at 8.30 pm. If I go to bed hungry I could Hypo in the night.

Perhaps I should eat some Peanuts & Walnuts.

As a type 2 diabetic, I don't think its all that frequent that one would have a hypo. It sounds like you are actually hungry because you ate too any carbs today including the ice-cream. Have you tested your Blood glucose?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks for your very
I think you might be very pleasantly surprised to find that the metformin is not actually contributing a great deal to your numbers . if you really want to come off it, why not invest in some home aic tests? do one first, then maybe one per fortnight - If you are starting at 36, then you know you can get back to that with metformin if necessary, but you also have a bit of leeway to see if you can keep control just by diet?

I seem to be stuck around 44 at present, I think that is because my weight loss has stalled a bit too. If I read your numbers right I think you are still managing to lose weight with that you are doing ?
kind advice, I am a little uninformed .... what is aic test ????? oh someyhing to measure HbA1c ? yes I was at 36 at christmas, I think I am closer to 38-40 right now... what is a meters to measure HbA1c named ?

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
As a type 2 diabetic, I don't think its all that frequent that one would have a hypo. It sounds like you are actually hungry because you ate too any carbs today including the ice-cream. Have you tested your Blood glucose?

Hello Cherry. I have been Type 2 now for about 20 years and over the years have learnt to read my body. This is important as I used to spend about 9 months of the year in Uganda and if your batteries run flat or you run out of test strips etc. I cannot test myself. Most of my "near" Hypos have happened in Uganda in the middle of the night. Also in Uganda my diet was nearly 100% carbs.

Now that I expect that the rest of my life will be spent in the UK and my diet is LCHF I am on a learning curve to try and balance my eating to my meter readings. I check my blood before breakfast every morning and have been pleased to see that they have between 4 and 5. In the past few days they have jumped to between 6 and 8 and I am not sure why.

I am also eating LESS than I used to do in either Uganda and here in the UK. The amount of carbs I eat is very low. No potatoes, no carrots, no parsnips, no muesli, no oranges, only one slice of bread with my fried breakfast. I eat lots of greens, tomatoes, peppers, fish, meat, chicken, lamb, pork, cheese, and yogurt.

The Metformin reduced my Insulin needs from 60 units AM to 44 units. PM Insulin reduced from 40 units to 32 units.

Since starting on the LCHF diet about 2 weeks ago my weight has dropped from 85 kilos to 83. Not a big drop but at least it is moving in the right direction. I am also doing a lot less exercise than I was doing in Uganda.

I think that I must either do a lot more exercise or eat less food and decrease my Insulin intake - or perhaps both.

It is early days yet. Thanks for your interest. Any suggestions are welcome.

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am sure it will .

20% is actually a lot more than statiatical claims as far as I am informed ... wish you good luck

Thanks Freema. The Metformin reduced my Insulin needs from 60 units AM to 44 units. PM Insulin reduced from 40 units to 32 units. But I am going to try and reduce my Insulin levels even further. 44 + 32 = 76 which means a 24% reduction from the 60 + 40 before I started taking Metformin. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Kyambala if you are able to exercise, then do. It wont reduce your weight, but will aid insulin sensitivity. You will be surprised how little impact metformin has on your BG. It isn't a direct BG lowering drug. It does try to prevent secretion by the liver, and improve insulin sensitivity, hence no hypos with it. If you are injecting insulin you will need your Health Care Peeps on board with LCHF. If you reduce carbs, you reduce the quantity of insulin required to bring sugars down. Injecting insulin when your sugars are already low(ish) may cause a hypo
I am fortunate, as I dont inject insulin, so I can go Low Carb without undue risk

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Would it be a real hardship to give up the piece of bread each morning?
Perhaps check on the carb content of the sausages - some can be rather high. Small changes can make a big difference when done every day.

Hello Resurgam. Haven't heard from you lately - hope you haven't taken offense at my (joking) comments to Brunneria. I can't afford to lose good friends like you. Your advice is always welcome.