Type 2, what do I do!?!

sasharhianna93

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok, so I am not usually the person who posts on these sorts of things. However I don't have anyone in my life who has any knowledge of or experience with diabetes so I figured this would be a great place to get tips, information, and hopefully find other people who can relate to this disease and its many physical and emotional affects. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in February and ever since then I feel like my world is spinning out of control. I am on a ridiculous amount of medications which sometimes leave me feeling worse than I was feeling before. I recently had a severe hypo that caused me to lose consciousness while I was walking down the stairs at my home. That absolutely terrified me! Now all I can seem to think about is what if this happens while I am driving? What if I am home alone and this happens? I feel so completely helpless and I hate it. I don't have the hang of this yet and I know I cant expect it to be perfect, and I can't expect to feel great all the time. But truthfully this disease is causing me so much anxiety and stress that I can hardly function anymore. Any tips, advice, or encouraging words would be deeply appreciated! This is a really tough thing to deal with and I salute all of you out there fighting your own battles with this disease!!! Thank you. Many blessings!

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am on a ridiculous amount of medications which sometimes leave me feeling worse than I was feeling before. I recently had a severe hypo that caused me to lose consciousness while I was walking down the stairs at my home. That absolutely terrified me! Now all I can seem to think about is what if this happens while I am driving?

Sorry to hear you're struggling. What medications are you on?

If you're on blood sugar lowering medication you must test your blood sugar prior to driving, and every 2 hours during a long drive, to ensure you aren't hypo, if you are hypo you correct and wait to drive, if you're under 5 you have some carbs and drive. You should keep hypo treatments and testing kit handy in the car.

sasharhianna93

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry to hear you're struggling. What medications are you on?

If you're on blood sugar lowering medication you must test your blood sugar prior to driving, and every 2 hours during a long drive, to ensure you aren't hypo, if you are hypo you correct and wait to drive, if you're under 5 you have some carbs and drive. You should keep hypo treatments and testing kit handy in the car.
I am currently on metformin and glipizide, as well as a thyroid medication and Lipitor for cholesterol. I have been keeping little snacks with me, is that what you mean? I'm sorry. I am still so new to this. How long should I wait to drive after a hypo?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am currently on metformin and glipizide, as well as a thyroid medication and Lipitor for cholesterol. I have been keeping little snacks with me, is that what you mean? I'm sorry. I am still so new to this. How long should I wait to drive after a hypo?

Glipaizide is a sulphonyureas. Here's some information on the driving restrictions that apply when taking this type of medication - http://www.nhslanarkshire.org.uk/Services/Podiatry/Documents/Diabetes-and-Driving.pdf - you should wait 45 minutes after blood sugar has come over 4, with keys out of the ignition.

While tablets can cause hypos it seems rather unusual to be having unconcious hypos from sulphonyureas. Did you have hypo symptoms to warn you of this event? Did you test your blood sugar before/after/during?

Have you reported your unconcious hypo to your healthcare team? It's worth checking to see if your medication needs reducing (ie if you have drastically changed diet since prescription) or if something else caused the unconcious episode.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
http://www.bedfordshirediabetes.org.uk/downloads/Updates 2014/Driving_leaflet-v3[1].pdf

I take a sulponylurea (gliclazide) which can cause hypos and asked my GP if I ought to inform DVLA. In view of the fact that I'd only experienced one episode over the previous 12 months and that had been due to exceptional circumstances she said I didn't fit the criterea. She gave me a copy of the document to which I've added a link.
The document to which I refer says you should not drive for at least 45 minutes after recovery from a hypo.

Last edited:

sasharhianna93

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Glipaizide is a sulphonyureas. Here's some information on the driving restrictions that apply when taking this type of medication - http://www.nhslanarkshire.org.uk/Services/Podiatry/Documents/Diabetes-and-Driving.pdf - you should wait 45 minutes after blood sugar has come over 4, with keys out of the ignition.

While tablets can cause hypos it seems rather unusual to be having unconcious hypos from sulphonyureas. Did you have hypo symptoms to warn you of this event? Did you test your blood sugar before/after/during?

Have you reported your unconcious hypo to your healthcare team? It's worth checking to see if your medication needs reducing (ie if you have drastically changed diet since prescription) or if something else caused the unconcious episode.

I am honestly not very familiar with the symptoms of a hypo. I had not really had a problem with that before.. always the opposite. My doctor did recently prescribe a different dose of metformin. I started off only taking 2 a day, and she increased it to 4 a day. I started two other medications that same day as well, which was about 2 days before the incident. It was all very sudden.

sasharhianna93

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
http://www.bedfordshirediabetes.org.uk/downloads/Updates 2014/Driving_leaflet-v3[1].pdf

I take a sulponylurea (gliclazide) which can cause hypos and asked my GP if I ought to inform DVLA. In view of the fact that I'd onlt experienced one episode over the previous 12 months and that had been due to exceptional circumstances she I didn't fit the criterea. She gave me a copy of the document to which I've added a link.
The document to which I refer says you should not drive for at least 45 minutes after recovery from a hypo.

Thank you for the link! I have checked with an attorney in my state (Illinois, United States) and many of the laws are the same here. I want to make sure that I am not putting anyone else or myself in danger while I am driving. It is a scary thought! So I appreciate the insight!

Odin004

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @sasharhianna93,

I'm very sorry to hear of your experiences - I'm type 1, though I whole-heartedly identify with all of what you've said. Last year, I had a very bad hypo which had a lasting effect (see my post http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/new-to-this-my-first-post.121586) so I completely understand the anxiety and worry that it might happen again; and I joined this forum as I realised that I'd never really connected with, or spoken to, anyone whose had a similar experiences. I think having that connection with other people, who appreciate and understand what you're going through, is key to normalising things.

Please take comfort that things will improve, I assure you - February was only a few months ago, and you haven't had very long to understand exactly how you respond to food, medication, exercise, stress etc. I think the first step is to try to work out how you "normally" respond to things - so, boring as it may sound, I'd recommend keeping a diary of your food, medication, activity and blood sugars (test very frequently), so you can spot any trends there may be. Once you understand this better, your confidence will increase - this is the first step in overcoming your anxiety; and you'll be surprised how quickly things become natural and instinctive.

This is a challenge you can overcome - and get in touch any time if you're feeling low - as I have found, there's a lot of support here!

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I am honestly not very familiar with the symptoms of a hypo. I had not really had a problem with that before.. always the opposite. My doctor did recently prescribe a different dose of metformin. I started off only taking 2 a day, and she increased it to 4 a day. I started two other medications that same day as well, which was about 2 days before the incident. It was all very sudden.
Hypo symptoms :
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/Diabetes-and-Hypoglycaemia.html

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

As you've had a severe hypo, or what you are reporting as a severe hypo, you should discuss this with your doctor.

Symptoms of a hypo can include shakiness, sweatiness, hunger -http://www.diabetes.co.uk/Diabetes-and-Hypoglycaemia.html.

sasharhianna93

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As you've had a severe hypo, or what you are reporting as a severe hypo, you should discuss this with your doctor.

Symptoms of a hypo can include shakiness, sweatiness, hunger -http://www.diabetes.co.uk/Diabetes-and-Hypoglycaemia.html.

Sorry, I accidentally posted too soon! I did check my blood sugar after the fall, and I was at 33. Which is super low! And I did contacted my doctor as well. I went in yesterday for blood work and I am waiting to hear back from her today. My doctors have not been super helpful (I'm in the process of finding a new one). They did not show me how to use my meter, or educate me on the symptoms of high/low blood sugar so I am a little displeased at the moment. I know its going to be a process! I just really don't have any idea what to expect. And I want to try and make sure It doesn't happen again!

sasharhianna93

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @sasharhianna93,

I'm very sorry to hear of your experiences - I'm type 1, though I whole-heartedly identify with all of what you've said. Last year, I had a very bad hypo which had a lasting effect (see my post http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/new-to-this-my-first-post.121586) so I completely understand the anxiety and worry that it might happen again; and I joined this forum as I realised that I'd never really connected with, or spoken to, anyone whose had a similar experiences. I think having that connection with other people, who appreciate and understand what you're going through, is key to normalising things.

Please take comfort that things will improve, I assure you - February was only a few months ago, and you haven't had very long to understand exactly how you respond to food, medication, exercise, stress etc. I think the first step is to try to work out how you "normally" respond to things - so, boring as it may sound, I'd recommend keeping a diary of your food, medication, activity and blood sugars (test very frequently), so you can spot any trends there may be. Once you understand this better, your confidence will increase - this is the first step in overcoming your anxiety; and you'll be surprised how quickly things become natural and instinctive.

This is a challenge you can overcome - and get in touch any time if you're feeling low - as I have found, there's a lot of support here!

Wow! So glad that you are ok! Thank you for these kind words! It is such a scary feeling to not feel in control of your own body. And I just want to make sure that I don't hurt anyone else, or myself by driving while I'm low. This has been such a crazy experience! Its so good to know there are so many people on here that understand the daily struggles! None of my friends, or family really understand diabetes. Which is frustrating for both myself and them. I'm not sure any of them would know what to do if I got too low and needed help. So I think there needs to be a lot of educating going on for both myself and them!
No one has yet suggested the idea of a journal, but that really might be a good idea! Thank you so much for all of your advice! And same goes for you! If you ever need to talk or vent I'm here!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok, so I am not usually the person who posts on these sorts of things. However I don't have anyone in my life who has any knowledge of or experience with diabetes so I figured this would be a great place to get tips, information, and hopefully find other people who can relate to this disease and its many physical and emotional affects. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in February and ever since then I feel like my world is spinning out of control. I am on a ridiculous amount of medications which sometimes leave me feeling worse than I was feeling before. I recently had a severe hypo that caused me to lose consciousness while I was walking down the stairs at my home. That absolutely terrified me! Now all I can seem to think about is what if this happens while I am driving? What if I am home alone and this happens? I feel so completely helpless and I hate it. I don't have the hang of this yet and I know I cant expect it to be perfect, and I can't expect to feel great all the time. But truthfully this disease is causing me so much anxiety and stress that I can hardly function anymore. Any tips, advice, or encouraging words would be deeply appreciated! This is a really tough thing to deal with and I salute all of you out there fighting your own battles with this disease!!! Thank you. Many blessings!

Sasharhianna93 - What sort of blood sugar levels are you seeing when you test these days?

Reactions: Winnie53 and Freema

sasharhianna93

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sasharhianna93 - What sort of blood sugar levels are you seeing when you test these days?

Well when I was first diagnosed for the first few weeks I was still mostly in the lower 200's. Now an average for me is about 120-130. However the last 2 weeks or so I have been getting much lower readings usually under 100.

Odin004

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's absolutely my pleasure @sasharhianna93 - you'll get through this - and yes, it's very important that those close to you know what to do if you go low (and also to recognise the symptoms of a hypo). Would be interested to hear how you get on, and as I said, just get in touch any time!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well when I was first diagnosed for the first few weeks I was still mostly in the lower 200's. Now an average for me is about 120-130. However the last 2 weeks or so I have been getting much lower readings usually under 100.

Thank you. What was your reading when you had your scary experience on the stairs?

Have you checked for any interactions between your medications? It could be worthwhile checking with both the patient information leaflets from your medication packaging, but also on a site, such as this one: http://reference.medscape.com/drug-interactionchecker

I'm unfamiliar with speficially US sites.

sasharhianna93

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's absolutely my pleasure @sasharhianna93 - you'll get through this - and yes, it's very important that those close to you know what to do if you go low (and also to recognise the symptoms of a hypo). Would be interested to hear how you get on, and as I said, just get in touch any time!

I'll keep you updated! Thank you so much! Hope you have wonderful day!

sasharhianna93

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. What was your reading when you had your scary experience on the stairs?

Have you checked for any interactions between your medications? It could be worthwhile checking with both the patient information leaflets from your medication packaging, but also on a site, such as this one: http://reference.medscape.com/drug-interactionchecker

I'm unfamiliar with speficially US sites.

I was at 33 after the fall. Which is the lowest I have ever been to my knowledge. My first thought was that it had to be an interaction between some of my medications. Especially since this happened 2 days after increasing one medication, and starting several new ones. I am still waiting to hear back from my doctor, she ran some blood work yesterday. Not sure if that can tell her anything, but I am hoping she will have an answer for me! Thank you so much for the link! I am definitely going to look into it myself!