type 2

paula2510

hi, i have been diagnosed as type 2. my gp has not given me any leaflets or info about it. can any 1 help me please. i am on metformin. i dont really know anything about it,what to eat and drink . or not!!.

petra

Metformin helps with insulin resistance. It may be that you are actually producing quite a lot of insulin but your body is resistant to the insulin you produce. Losing weight helps as insulin resistance is directly related to body fat within-ie around your organs. You can't go hypo ie too low on metformin so no worries re driving , hypos etc. Re diet-normal diet-same for a non-diabetic as diabetic ie low in fat and low in sugar/salt. Eat plenty of fruit and veg ie 5 portions/day. Ask for a one to one appt with a dietician-you are entitled to that. Also make sure you are offered Structured Education Programme and an annual retinal screen. Make sure you understand what is an HbA1c- it is is your "long term" blood sugar -it sort of takes an average of your blood sugar levels over 2-3m. If you stay<7% then you should be ok. If >7% then you might be advised to increase your meds.Remeber diabetes is a progressive disorder-uphill battle so often more meds are required even if doing all the recommended things ie diet and exercise-always the cornerstone of diabetes management. Blood pressure and cholesterol are also important-aim for <140/80 and chol <4
Hope this helps

John aka Wallycorker

paula2510 said:
hi, i have been diagnosed as type 2. my gp has not given me any leaflets or info about it. can any 1 help me please. i am on metformin. i dont really know anything about it,what to eat and drink . or not!!.
Hi Paula,

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I was diagnosed with Type 2 over nine years ago and I'm doing just fine. I'm on metformin medication as well - this can cause stomach upset at the beginning but that usually settles down before too long.

The important thing is that you take control of your blood glucose levels and keep them down. As far as I am concerned, diet is your most powerful ally in achieving that goal. Cut out the sugary things but it's important to cut back on starchy carbohydrates too - i.e. cereals, bread, potatoes, pasta and rice etc - because they turn to sugar almost as soon as you have eaten them.

Starting to test helps too because that teaches you the effect that different foods have on your blood glucose levels.

Unfortunately, a lot of the advice given out to Type 2s is "do not test" and "eat plenty of starchy carbohydrate". That type of advice is absolute rubbish and will simply ensure that your situation will what they call "progress" - i.e. deteriorate. There is no need for that to happen if you take control of your situation.

Good luck and very best wishes - John

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hi Paula and welcome to the forum. :D

John is absolutely right regarding cutting the starchy carbs and also about the testing. By testing I found that my BG levels soar with grains so no longer eat bread and similar or porridge, rice and pasta. We are all different so you need to test to find out what your food does to your body and eat to your meter.

If you are not offered a meter and prescription for testing strips then ASK for them! Tell them you want to be proactive in managing your condition. 8) If they don't come up trumps you may have to buy your own. :(

You will also benefit from acquiring a Collins gem Carb Counter (£3.99) or similar book which will give you the values of a wide range of foods and help you make the right choices.

I eat meat, fish, cheese, eggs, veggies, salad stuff and fruit in moderation.

paula2510

thank you every 1 that has replyed to me. ill take on your advice. starting to get upset tum today, hope it doesnt last long!

Wendyanne

Dislikes
Not being able to eat milk chocolate any more
Hi Paula,I am a newly diagonsed Type 2 as well and am on Metformin 1x500 twice daily.I had really bad stomache problems and Vomiting for the first week and let the DN know about the problem and she said to persevere for another five days which I did and since then have been fine apart from having a windy tummy which I can live with :lol:

I am still trying to get my head round what I can and can't eat but so far since Nov09 have lost 1st.6lb in weight,{although i have only been on Metformin since the middle of January} I am following a low GI Diet,with plenty of fresh fruit and veggies and meat which I cut the fat off of and dry fry where possible.My Cholesterol is 4.8 and my Blood Pressure is 130/68 so must be doing something right, but my first HB a1C WAS 9.3 Hence the Type2 oh and apart from Urine testing have not got a meter yet as the DN nurse never mentioned one of those so will wait to see how my next blood test goes and take it from there.

Good luck and Welcome to the forum :)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
This isn't how I see it
>>Re diet-normal diet-same for a non-diabetic as diabetic ie low in fat and low in sugar/salt. Eat plenty of fruit and veg ie 5 portions/day. <<
I don't think fat has any effect on diabetes control. Diabetes is characterised by an inability to handle carbohydrates. i.e. Sugars and starches. The most recent research has failed to find a connection between fat in the diet and any heart disease.
Fat is neutral in diabettes. It doesn't raise blood sugar nor does it lower it.

Many people have found that a diet with plentty of fats, but low in carbohydrates brings about weight loss and lowered cholesterol. Fat has been demonised without evidence. In fact a certain amount of fat is ssential to health. skin needs fat, nerve sheathes are made of ats and vitamins are carried in fats.
Starchy carbs on the other hand don't reduce weight and do increase blood sugar.
Yet the Medica authorities still tell everyone to eat them up to 60% of calorie intake.
I say we need to reduce our total food intake andreduce starch to the absolute minimum. that is despite the fact that bread is delicious.
Hana

raydavies

Beware the plenty of carbs - of whatever complexion - advice and be very careful of fruits. some fruits such as bananas can skyrocket you blood glucose. Get a meter and test to find out what affects YOU! Ignore dietary advice, however well meaning, from others until you know your own body and it's reactions.

Contradicting my advice on advice, I suggest you take a look at the Low carb section of the forum.

Ray

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
Hi Paula, I was diagnosed T2 about 2 years ago. I take 3 X 500mg Metformin a day. I found that I too got an upset tum, not good when you have IBS.
Maybe you should cut back on the amount of tabs you take for the first week. This will allow your system to get used to the meds. Then gradually increase the amount of Metformin you take over the next week.
My local authority have a diabetic drop in clinic. They also run a diabetes education seminar for those newly diagnosed. Maybe you could ask your local health centre if there is a similar scheme in your area.
I also thought that by taking the Metformin would allow me to carry on with my junk snack food :oops: wrong :lol: Now decided to cut back on my junk food and eat a healthier diet :mrgreen:
I have also started testing this week. You can buy a BG meter from Asda for as little as £7, but the pack only has 10 testing strips. I have just bought some testing strips on Ebay. People change their meters, so have test strips they don't use any more. Just make sure that the packs aren't opened and well within date.