JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Brunch Omelette with onion mushrooms, cheese, diced bacon, spinach and flax seed.

Evening meal Beef Stroganoff and a glass of Merlot or two,

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Normally I post in the low-carb thread but today we visited some of Mrs DeeJay's family for roast turkey and all the trimmings, and I decided beforehand to eat everything, including roast spuds, and mince pie for pud. The only exception I made was to take diet Pepsi, because I just fancied some.
My other options were to plead illness and not go at all, or to take back-up food and eat just turkey and sprouts. The first would have been dishonest and the second would have been bad manners considering we don't visit often and they don't know anything about diabetes. I'm not ill, I'm just a T2. One meal won't hurt me.
They have invited us to New Year celebrations and I've offered to take a giant beef casserole and will ask for lots of green veg.
Apart from that I had fried black pud, tomatoes, egg & cheese on half a toasted Lidl roll for breakfast and a bowl of home-made fish pie for dinner. Exercise after lunch was a seaside walk.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
I am using chron-o-meter for daily carb and calorie counting now, since last week but still like to get ideas from other people sometimes.
Breakfast: Brown Cow full fat vanilla yogurt with Great Grains Raisin, Date, Pecan Granola on top, coffee with 2% milk (I have drunk 2% so long I just do not like the way full fat tastes)
Lunch: 6 large shrimp, half an apple and some chopped Asian salad with Greek vinaigrette, water to drink
Dinner: Cheeseburger, few fries, mixed veggies-summer squash, celery, bell pepper, onion, asparagus, coffee with cream (dinner out)
Snack: Avocado with Greek dressing and sprinkle of feta cheese,milk, a few whole wheat crackers

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
First meal celery brie cheese and almonds
Second meal corned beef and tomato sugar free jelly
midnight snack ham and tomato

majnoon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Breakfast Cup of coffee with milk
lunch two pieces of toast
dinner beef casserole with veggies

David_A_Hughes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
No, the buns, oats, and corn chips all come in packages that give you carb and calorie amounts by quantity-like one whole wheat bun is 20 carbs, 1 packet of oatmeal is 24 carbs, 15 corn chips =24 carbs and like that. The french fries I count how many I eat and look it up on McDonald's website-I think I ate half an order of small fries so I just divided the carb and calories amounts in half to get the values I ate. By the way those were not my best dietary choices and except for the oatmeal I rarely eat them anymore.
I can eat 80-100 carbs over a day with no problem the next morning. I am on metformin and lantus currently. My BG skyrockets even if I eat nothing without these medications. If I exercise more than usual I can occasionally eat up to 130 carbs per day, about 45 at one time and still stay below 7.0 fasting if I am well. The whole reason I began counting carbs and calories again though was because I was having too many BG readings over 7.0 fasting and over 8.6 two hours after meals. I felt I needed to go back to basics to get a handle on it again.
I do not actually weigh anything but I do measure volumes of things-like 1 cup or 1 Tablespoon. Today was our Thanksgiving Day which I spent with family I do not see very often-I tried to eat sensibly but I ended up at the end of the day home again with a much higher than usual BG reading at this time of the evening. I am a caregiver so can not go out to exercise, and my gym is closed on this holiday anyway, but will do some extra exercise here at home to try to bring my BG down. If my BG readings are decent over the next few days I will only count and measure for new foods but I already know what my standard foods do to my BG with my current medication at my current weight so do not need to pay so close attention to them. I hope that helps clarify for you-if you have further questions please ask me.
I suppose it's laziness, but I don't go looking at all the info on packaged foods. If I'm hungry, I eat, but I don't eat any of the recognised HC foods or sugary foods/drinks - NO bread, chips (UK - fries US), rice, root veg, beer, white wine, etc., etc. and I don't eat huge portions, either. I exercise and eat veg, salad, meat, cheese, etc., etc. and so on. As I write my BG is 9.6 an hour after eating my evening meal - chicken Kiev with a few peas and a cup of tea - yes, there were a few breadcrumbs on the chicken, but minimal on the carb-count scale, surely! I'm looking forward to the comments from my family round the Christmas dinner-table as I eat a portion of turkey, sprouts, a few peas and a little gravy. No roast or boiled spuds, parsnips, stuffing, carrots, cranberry sauce, etc. What a good boy I'll be.....until the Christmas pud arrives, and then I'll be very, very naughty!

Incidentally, my food intake today consisted of beef burgers for breakfast (there was nothing else suitable left in my 'fridge), lunch was fish soup and a stir-fry of mainly vegetables with a little bacon thrown in and the chicken Kiev mentioned above for my evening meal - and now a stiff single malt Scotch, just because I like it.

Last edited:

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
I suppose it's laziness, but I don't go looking at all the info on packaged foods. If I'm hungry, I eat, but I don't eat any of the recognised HC foods or sugary foods/drinks - NO bread, chips (UK - fries US), rice, root veg, beer, white wine, etc., etc. and I don't eat huge portions, either. I exercise and eat veg, salad, meat, cheese, etc., etc. and so on. As I write my BG is 9.6 an hour after eating my evening meal - chicken Kiev with a few peas and a cup of tea - yes, there were a few breadcrumbs on the chicken, but minimal on the carb-count scale, surely! I'm looking forward to the comments from my family round the Christmas dinner-table as I eat a portion of turkey, sprouts, a few peas and a little gravy. No roast or boiled spuds, parsnips, stuffing, carrots, cranberry sauce, etc. What a good boy I'll be.....until the Christmas pud arrives, and then I'll be very, very naughty!

Incidentally, my food intake today consisted of beef burgers for breakfast (there was nothing else suitable left in my 'fridge), lunch was fish soup and a stir-fry of mainly vegetables with a little bacon thrown in and the chicken Kiev mentioned above for my evening meal - and now a stiff single malt Scotch, just because I like it.

I've starting entering mine into chron-o-meter so I can analyze all the nutrients-I just got back from my doctor's appointment-My HA1c is now in controlled range, It went from 7.5 three months ago to 7.0 with blood drawn a week ago. I lost two pounds and my kidney function had improved a little on all three measures. I'm happy.
Oh, I ate oatmeal and water for breakfast. I had a beef and cheddar sandwich with a few fries ( 4), and water for lunch. and For dinner I had half a small hamburger with extra lettuce and tomato, a few fries, coffee with cream, and one 21 carb biscuit with peanut butter. I will have a small green salad with sunflower seeds, cheese and Greek dressing later for a snack. Have fun with your Christmas pudding!

shwcis1963

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
None that i can think about
Share what you've eaten today with the rest of the DCUK community and maybe steal a few ideas for yourself!

Low carb contributions are of course welcomed, but please keep in mind that this is not the low carb diet section, and debates about diet should be kept out of this thread. Happy posting! ;)
I have'nt eaten anything today as yet waiting until 8:00 pm to check blood sugar is below 100mg/dl then Ill have a small salad with a small chicken breast with some melted butter

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
An interesting experimental eating and testing day today with some surprising results!
B: coffee & pecan muffin (BS before 6.0 +2hrs 5.1:woot:)
L: charcoal crackers + A LOT of cheese! (BS before 5.1 still +2hrs 5.7)
S: custard slice (so this is going to send it off the radar, right? BS before 5.7 +2hrs 6.6:joyful:)
D: beef coconut curry, cauli rice

I'm not really sure what to conclude from this, other than unless you test, you really can't tell what is going on. Am going to experiment with some porridge tomorrow.;)

willow67

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people,nasty habits,people who don't clean up after their dogs !
flies,wasps……the list is endless….oh and being tired…
so this morning i had, bacon,eggs,coffee with full fat milk and sweetener .
bg 11.3 before breakfast and tablets.
now 8.9

frankman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For breakfast I had 3 Weetabix, with a cup of tea.

For lunch I had a large bowl of chicken noodle soup, with 3 slices bread and butter and large glass of water.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
An interesting experimental eating and testing day today with some surprising results!
B: coffee & pecan muffin (BS before 6.0 +2hrs 5.1:woot:)
L: charcoal crackers + A LOT of cheese! (BS before 5.1 still +2hrs 5.7)
S: custard slice (so this is going to send it off the radar, right? BS before 5.7 +2hrs 6.6:joyful:)
D: beef coconut curry, cauli rice

I'm not really sure what to conclude from this, other than unless you test, you really can't tell what is going on. Am going to experiment with some porridge tomorrow.;)

Wow! Great result with that custard slice. :) How did you get on with the porridge.

Bellatom

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Pre breakfast g/l 6.0
2 hr Post breakfast g/l 7.0

Breakfast was Dorset cranberry porridge, cup of tea.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow! Great result with that custard slice. :) How did you get on with the porridge.
Must confess I was very surprised by the custard slice too!! Porridge was also ok. Bs went from 6.3 to 7.6 at +2hrs so will allow myself some every so often. Thinking that the full fat milk and cream I made it with may have helped.

Chaobaby7

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
junk food, modern life, crowds, heat and loud music
1 chocolate croissant ( my daily treat) grape fruit, yoghurt and coffee for breky

quorn roast , cauliflower, carrots, peas and sprouts and small portion of roast spuds
apple and satsuma for pudding

cornflakes and semi skimmed milk for supper

drinks in the day have been sparkling water, black tea and non concentrate orange juice watered down with sparkly water

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
fbreakfast and lunch :
300 grams chicken, and 125 grams of blueberries,

afternoon: a lower carb protein bar with chokolate taste.... 12 grams of carbs.
and more blueberries 125 grams again

dinner :
some peanuts and fresh cheese with onions and Herbs
and potato Soup with peas and onions and carots and butter...

I guess that spikes my bloods cause 80 minutes later my blood glucose was 4.9 very much lower than expected...

all in all 140 grams of carbs today and 125 grams of proteins... tomorrow my numbers must be high in the morning I think