Type1. blood sugar after gym

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi today i went to the gym and used the machines chest press and bicep curl blood sugar was 10.0 before work out so after 1hour after workout decided to eat so had some 2x toast and and boloused 8units of insulin checked 2 hours later sugar was 9.4 then checked later on sugar was 10.0 also findin that insulin not really lowering sugar much today has anyone else had this problem because of exercise?.

Reactions: Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Exercise raises my blood glucose too, and for many hours afterwards. Today before my swim I bolused half a unit - I was 5.9 before, 5.8 afterwards, then I had some eggs for breakfast, with insulin. On top of that, I'm currently running a temporary basal rate on my pump of 150% for a couple of hours, otherwise I'll be in the teens before you can say 'snaps!'

Have worked this all out with trial, error and loads of testing - and I still don't get it right most of the time!

Still, I love exercise and it makes me feel good, so definitely worth the maths.

:)

qe5rt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is normal, bodybuilding based routines tend to raise me too. My routines usually only last about 30-45 minutes so i'm comfortable with correcting after i'm done. Usually i use 1.5 units and adjust according to the normal schematic. It also depends a bit as to how long my previous injection was. If i injected within 2 hours i usually wait another hour, test again and correct if needed.

Reactions: Snapsy

Gillyanne

Type of diabetes
LADA
I'm confused. Any type of exercise lowers my blood sugar. In the gym I take jelly babies before and after exercise and again if I have a swim. I'm a relative newby (6 months type1) but am determined to get fitter. I also note that my BS can drop later that day. I'm on twice a day mixed.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm confused. Any type of exercise lowers my blood sugar. In the gym I take jelly babies before and after exercise and again if I have a swim. I'm a relative newby (6 months type1) but am determined to get fitter. I also note that my BS can drop later that day. I'm on twice a day mixed.

It lowers mine too - we're all different :)

Do what works for you :)

If you exercise a lot, you may find basal/bolus works better as you can be more flexible with doses.

Reactions: Gillyanne

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi yeah its seems like my sugar seems to be better aswell my basal is now 15 unit and sugars are responding more better to novorapid and i use around 1.75unit to every 10grams of carbs and before was 2.5unit to every 10grams of carbs and my basal insulin was 24 now im using 15units basal but seem to work but my sugar drops by 2mmol more at 4 hour mark after novorapid so if its 6.5 mmol at 2hour mark it would be at 4mmol at 4hours after meal i guess this could mean i need to lower basal.