Type1. Day Off Work/Worried About My Job

liamstirling_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi there, I'm new to the forum but I wanted to talk about this,
I'm really worried and some positive reassurance would help and I just need to ask a question or two.

I was on my way to work this morning when I all of a sudden felt low, way too low, normally I feel it coming but this one hit me pretty hard, I threw up a couple of times and my legs gave in.

I phoned my employer to let him know that I wouldn't be in today, and I explained why I couldn't make it but he kept saying it's counted as an absence, it's up to you what you do, I'm just warning you, its not my problem it's yours, etc etc..
until, after a lot from my end, he leaves of with "Right, I'll talk to you when you come back"

I'm currently on a final warning in work due to numerous times where hypos have taken me in the morning, on the way to work or if I have a doctor's appointment, despite having doctor'a note confirming.

I'm worried about Monday and losing my job,
It's frustrating, but I just want him to understand.
Should I be worried for Monday?

Thanks, Liam

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Liam.

Before worrying about work or your boss, it's important that you focus on these morning hypos. No one should be throwing up and nearly collapsing on their morning commute. Do you know why this is becoming a regular event?

Most HR departments work on a basic model where if an employee has anymore than four absences (for whatever reason) in a year then they basically get red flagged and questions regarding fitness for employment, etc come into the mix.

If I was a boss and an employee of mine wasn't making it to work due to reasons such as yours, then to be perfectly honest, I'd be annoyed. Your boss should however appreciate that diabetes is a total nightmare condition and isn't just as simple as taking injections and functioning the same as a healthy individual.

You need to ascertain why these hypos are happening in order to prevent them. Once you prevent these events, not only will you improve your standard of living - you'll also eliminate any worries you have about retaining your job.

If you're unable to determine why you're experiencing the severe lows that you are, please seek the advice of your DSN or Dr.

Try not to worry! The important thing is that you get these hypos sorted out.

Good luck,
Grant

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi and welcome Liam,

I'm afraid no one can give you positive reassurance on what will happen on Monday, all I would say is take someone into the meeting like a Trade Union Rep or work colleague and any supporting evidence that explains your absence from work.

As Grant above says, if these severe morning hypo's are a regular occurrence then you need to make some adjustments to your insulin, if unsure how to approach this then speak with your diabetes team and they will advise.

Good luck and hope you still have a job after Monday.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @liamstirling_ it sounds as though you are in a bit of an awkward position here. I'm afraid I'm going to be fairly blunt.

As Grant and Noblehead mentioned, you shouldn't be suffering from these kinds of hypos, so something is awry.

What you also mention is that you are on a final warning due to absence, from both hypos and doctor's appointments.

The issue with any disability under the Equality act is that an employer has to make "reasonable adjustments". But it also means that you have to try and manage yourself properly and really expects that you make an effort as well.

You say that these hypos cause you to take unplanned absence, but you don't mention what you've done to try and stop them occurring. This would be useful to have as evidence ahead of any meeting where you consider yourself at risk.

You've also stated that whenever you've had hypos, you've not gone into work. I just wondered why you didn't call in and say that this had happened and that you'd be in later, rather than taking the day off? I know it's a challenging question, but do you really need to take a day off to recover?

Reactions: Struma

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@liamstirling_ has your employer not spoken or briefed you already about what they expect from your disability in your workforce? A return to work meeting, say?
I think I've been lucky as all my employers have worked with me in difficult times of badly managed diabetes moments.
To have a whole day sick due to one hypo seems excessive to me too. Even when highly pregnant, on insulin and hormonal changes with the odd hypo it can look excess too. To me.
Try and put yourself in their shoes. They need someone they can rely on. If your having regular morning problems maybe reducing your hours to afternoons only or afternoon and evening work only til your meds are revised.
Let your employer know if your having problems and the solution before it gets to disciplinary stage?
You may be surprised with their support.
Positive attitude can help in such times. Give your employer a positive outcome to this meeting not a reason to finish you. Good luck!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
As others have said you need to sort your hypos out, I can't understand though why you need to take the day off for a hypo.

Hellrazor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
have to agree with above posts / Comments hypo can be sorted pretty quick.Have had 2 sorted by quick glucose intake have been late for work due to one but never missed a whole day

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm torn. Clearly the majority opinion is hypos are easily fixed and shouldn't be causing time off work. That is true for the vast majority of hypos, thank goodness. If you are having severe hypos I think that is a bit different - a severe unconcious hypo does wipe you out in a different way. I can think of two occasions when I was wiped out for a day following severe hypos and prolonged periods of unconsciousness and really shouldnt have been in work (one was on a weekend and the other one I went to work anyway because I'm a stupid martyr).

Obviously such severe hypos should be minimal or ideally non-existent. If you are having several, many....To be honest if you have had one, that is too many and suggests you need input from your healthcare team to come up with a plan to avoid them.

In respect of work and the meeting on Monday:
  • Type 1 diabetes is a disability under the equality act - your employer will have to make reasonable adjustments to accommodate your disability
  • Reasonable adjustments might include some greater flexibility with application of the absence policy. But whether this is reasonable will depend on the business needs and also what action you can take to mitigate the need to take time off
  • Reasonable adjustments should really include allowing unpaid leave for hospital appointments, it would have to be a pretty unusual business need that would make this not reasonable.
  • Ask to see a copy of the absence/sickness policy.