Type1. LCHF Diet

joanne75

Hi

I am hoping someone can help me, I have been on the LCHF diet for approx. 4 weeks now, in the first 2 weeks I lost 3lbs which was good and then last 2 nothing.

Now in the last 2 weeks I have had a small portion of chips and a piece of garlic bread this are the only carbs I have eaten oh and I have a glass of milk a day.

This is what I tend to eat on a daily basis

Breakfast : melon and greek yoguart
Lunch : Chicken, peppers and only a small amount of cottage cheese or nothing
Dinner : anything from stuffed peppers, chicken with veg, sausages (low carb) with coleslaw or salad and tuna and salad

I have also started swimming 3times a week (started last week) and I do pilates once a week and walk as much as I can.

Its frustrating to say the least, I also don't feel my BS have improved very much still getting a few highs, so even if I don't eat any carbs I still have to have fast acting insulin?? I have been diabetic for 29yrs.

Thanks

Reactions: aj78

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That sounds like quite a good diet but check that the melon isn't the sugary type. I wonder whether you need to increase your Basal to avoid needing so much Bolus?

Reactions: dbr10 and aj78

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diet sound OK'ish.. watch the melon and make sure your yogurt is high fat.
I don't see a lot of fats included ? You might need to up those, that's what helps the low carb to work.
Milk can contain 10 carbs per glass and the chips and garlic bread won't have helped.

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
From a dietary pov, this isn't LCHF. Fruit, potatoes (chips), bread, cottage cheese, coleslaw (usually include carrot) aren't low carb. They are medium to high carb and are probably the reason your weight loss has stalled. It's a bit tricky, but you can do it. :)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Portion sizes do matter.
As mentioned there are quite a few carbs in those meals. Even veggie carbs add up fast.
Again with the fat. Maybe include some avocado or nuts in place of some of the carby things. Berries and nuts instead of melon ?

What's the pepper stuffed with? Rice?

I need to take insulin with all meals. Carbs or no carbs. Protein raises me quite a bit. I eat less than 20 c per day and all from above ground veg, avocado and a few nuts. Never rice, paste, grains, bread, sugar, fruit etc. This also allows me to maintain my weight and take small doses of insulin

Reactions: kittypoker

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
so even if I don't eat any carbs I still have to have fast acting insulin??

Yes. If you're not bolusing for meals that would explain high numbers. Your meals aren't zero carb, so you would need to cover the carbs in melon, pepper, coleslaw etc. Even if your meals were zero carb a low carbing type 1 will usually have to bolus for protein.

joanne75

Thank you for the replies, yes I understand that chips and garlic bread are not low carb? hence why I put I had they things once in 2 weeks as it was eating out. I was under the impression that coleslaw at 3.2g per 100g was low carb and the melon is the lowest you can possible get. Even if I just have eggs for breakfast I would still need to take some fast acting. My portion sizes are very small. Thanks very much I obviously need to do some more research

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for the replies, yes I understand that chips and garlic bread are not low carb? hence why I put I had they things once in 2 weeks as it was eating out. I was under the impression that coleslaw at 3.2g per 100g was low carb and the melon is the lowest you can possible get. Even if I just have eggs for breakfast I would still need to take some fast acting. My portion sizes are very small. Thanks very much I obviously need to do some more research
But most likely smaller boluses without carbs.

joanne75

Sorry it seems I did not make myself clear I have been trying to what I believe to be following a lchf diet not a no carb diet! I have asked why I might not have lost weight from a diabetic point of view not a lchf point of view kittypoker and to be told that it's not an ichf diet from a non diabetic does not have a positive impact on the type of help I am asking for, I have been diabetic for 29yrs so I'm pretty sure I know the ins and outs of the disease however I'm seeking help on why I would not loose weight is it just due to the fact that in 2 weeks I had I portion of chips and 1 slice of bread and had upped my exercise or is it just purely insulin driven??
Thanks very much if u can help x

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Your post was on an LCHF Diet forum. I don't, and never have, pretended to be an expert on any type of diabetes.

I do, however, understand the LCHF diet and how it can impact metabolic disorder. Melon, cottage cheese, chips, garlic bread, are not a part of a serious LCHF lifestyle. Well done on the exercise, though! :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It can be difficult to 'see' where carbs are coming from - a bell pepper can have 10 gm of carbs or more, vegetables have carbs, fruit has carbs - starting off by making a list of the foods you eat, the weight and carb count could give you more of an idea on how many carbs you are eating each day - and drinking too - milk contains lactose, a sugar, and one cup - 244ml - has 12 gm of carb which is quite a hefty amount.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Your post was on an LCHF Diet forum. I don't, and never have, pretended to be an expert on any type of diabetes.

I do, however, understand the LCHF diet and how it can impact metabolic disorder. Melon, cottage cheese, chips, garlic bread, are not a part of a serious LCHF lifestyle. Well done on the exercise, though! :)

Type 1 is an auto immune disease. LCHF can have a different affect on Type 1s using exogenous insulin and who,are less likely to,have insuoin resistance.

The OP has posted in the Type 1 section for,that reason.

@joanne75 Tagging @robert72 for you :)

Can I ask how much weight you're trying to lose? Are you also counting calories? I'm also going to,tag @TorqPenderloin as he is knowledgeable about diet :)

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your diet seems to be more high protein than high fat. Chicken, for example, is very high in protein. LCHF is based on fat and normal amounts of protein.

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

M80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My experience after a year or so on lchf, was not good.Not talking about weight.I would recommend high fat but moderate carbs.Not very low. (Type 1 also for long time.)

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
:)
Type 1 is an auto immune disease. LCHF can have a different affect on Type 1s using exogenous insulin and who,are less likely to,have insuoin resistance.

The OP has posted in the Type 1 section for,that reason.

Not only T1's have insulin resistance and, yes, I know the difference between T1 and T2. I even know what LADA is.

As I'm not diabetic, I specifically didn't make any inappropriate recommendations for carb, calorie or, especially, insulin counts. Only very general recommendations as I realise in most cases, I simply don't know.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
:)

As I'm not diabetic, I specifically didn't make any inappropriate recommendations for carb, calorie or, especially, insulin counts. Only very general recommendations as I realise in most cases, I simply don't know.

I was responding to your comment that it was a metabolic disorder :)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My experience after a year or so on lchf, was not good.Not talking about weight.I would recommend high fat but moderate carbs.Not very low. (Type 1 also for long time.)

I find moderate carbs work best too :)
Hi

I am hoping someone can help me, I have been on the LCHF diet for approx. 4 weeks now, in the first 2 weeks I lost 3lbs which was good and then last 2 nothing.

Now in the last 2 weeks I have had a small portion of chips and a piece of garlic bread this are the only carbs I have eaten oh and I have a glass of milk a day.

Dinner : anything from stuffed peppers, chicken with veg, sausages (low carb) with coleslaw or salad and tuna and salad

I have also started swimming 3times a week (started last week) and I do pilates once a week and walk as much as I can.

Its frustrating to say the least, I also don't feel my BS have improved very much still getting a few highs, so even if I don't eat any carbs I still have to have fast acting insulin?? I have been diabetic for 29yrs.

Thanks

Some people find very low carb can cause physiological insulin resistance. The key is to find a level of carbs that works for you.

I find MyFitnessPal or similar helpful in recording food. It makes it easier to see where you can make improvements, be that calories, carbs or whatever.

As @catapillar said, you'll more than likely have to bolus for protein in the absence of carbs. It often gives a delayed rise, necessitating a look at your bolus timing. Fat can also have an effect on insuljn requirements.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No meals are zero carb, this is the case when T1D and factoring in gluconeogenesis as a factor alongside a bolus:basal ratio which has been based on a prior carbohydrate rich diet.

Personally, LCHF is a waste of time for me as a T1D. I still need 6 injections (2 basal; 4 bolus) per day minimum regardless if I'm on 200g carbs or 5g carbs per day. Gluconeogenesis on a low carb diet results in me still requiring my meal time bolus injection, but without the variety of food choice that I can get from a moderate carb diet.

I compensate for the "moderate" carbohydrate BG spike via both increased levels of unsaturated fat and the pre-bolus technique.

@catapillar has more or less got everything explained.

Last edited:
Reactions: therower

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Thanks

Hi,

The "glass of milk" may contribute as a bit of a "wild card.".? Like liquid pizza to me....! (Been T1 for almost 41 years...) But you sussed the milk... Though I bet my **** it was "skimmed" too. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Kbarbaracollins_