type1. Making own smoothies - nutri bullet

Emma46477

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I am wondering whether it is ok for a diabetic to make own smoothies etc like they do with nutri bullet. They say that its not like a juicer because you have the whole fruit and veg and don't throw away the pulp.

But as a diabetic someone told me that blending fruit increases the amount of sugar.
So I am wondering if the nutribullet would be good to use to get more fruit and veg (be healthier) into my diet and not release as much sugar as I have been told.

What do people think?

Thanks
Em

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The amount of sugar in a food can't be increased - I mean - there is no magic, it is either there or it isn't.
I suspect - having tried a drink made in my newly acquired Nutribullet, that the nutrients are more easily available, digested faster than when eaten normally. The recipes given, I thought, are far too heavily carbohydrate, so I tried blending salad and chopped beetroot for sweetness - it does taste surprisingly sweet after low carbing for a while, and found it is easy to put in too much stuff for just one drink.
I think that if the ingredients are limited in quantity and chosen to be low carb then it should be fine, and I plan to make them on days when I am going out walking or for other exercise so that all my energy is put into the exercise rather than digesting food.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've always been afraid to make them. I think they would be digested too fast, especially in the morning. For me, eating the whole food is better.

Emma46477

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The amount of sugar in a food can't be increased - I mean - there is no magic, it is either there or it isn't.
I suspect - having tried a drink made in my newly acquired Nutribullet, that the nutrients are more easily available, digested faster than when eaten normally. The recipes given, I thought, are far too heavily carbohydrate, so I tried blending salad and chopped beetroot for sweetness - it does taste surprisingly sweet after low carbing for a while, and found it is easy to put in too much stuff for just one drink.
I think that if the ingredients are limited in quantity and chosen to be low carb then it should be fine, and I plan to make them on days when I am going out walking or for other exercise so that all my energy is put into the exercise rather than digesting food.

Hi Thank you for that advice, I was told that blending fruit and veg released extra sugars, burning toast caramelised the sugar etc. So always been afraid to do it but always fancied it. So much easier for work and if im late home for tea.

Yes I need to learn which ones are low carbs, so I will try your idea beetroot and salad. And buy the nutri bullet today. I am hoping this will also help with weight loss.
Thank yiou for your post.

Emma46477

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've always been afraid to make them. I think they would be digested too fast, especially in the morning. For me, eating the whole food is better.

Thank you for that and yes I agree but at the moment with this new job I don't have time most of the time. Trying to be healthier and loss weight.

Em

Emma46477

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Reactions: Brunneria

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I use the Nutri-Bullet. I blend the following cranberries, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, cucumber, radish, avocado, celery and water. I avoid bananas, oranges, pineapple, mango, peaches, basically any fruit that does not end in berry.

Reactions: AnnJohnston

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found that adding in avocado or some cashew nuts would slow down the absorption rate, with the added benefit it made the smoothies lovely and creamy.

Reactions: Velour

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I found that adding in avocado or some cashew nuts would slow down the absorption rate, with the added benefit it made the smoothies lovely and creamy.
HA!! You knew I was going to say add avocado!! I'm still scared. Does it help or is it better on its own? I don't think I'd like cleaning a smoothie maker when I can just scoop it and go...

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The Nutribullet is really simple to clean - the goblet is used as a cup, the blades are just rinsed under the tap and left to dry. I need to have a couple of bowls in the fridge to leave the unused items - the unused lettuce and beetroot, and there are packs of nuts in the door shelves, as you really don't need to make a thick sludge drink, less is better, I find.

Zebs29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Some leafy vegs like spinach and parsley, despite being washed, releases grit in the smoothy. Ruins the experience