Type1......retinopathy

• Thread starter Deleted member 83869
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 83869

Hello, haven't been on here on a very long time but I got my eye screening results back today whilst at the doctors and it states that I have R2 proliferative retinopathy in both eyes I think, but the maculopathy has cleared up, I have got to go back to be rescreened in 6 months. However my GP said that this is the stage before it starts affecting my vision....which obviously freaked me out a lot!! My Hba1c isn't great....better than the last one though it's 80 now but the depression and anxiety issues are making diabetes harder....along with struggles in daily life!
Can anyone shed some light please???
Thank you x

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@ohitsnicola - try not to worry (easy for me to say) they would be calling you in sooner if it was urgent. Also it won't necessarily progress, after all your maculopathy has cleared up. Tagging @Dark Horse who might have better info.

Reactions: Dark Horse

Dark Horse

R2 is the next stage up from background retinopathy (R1). Although it doesn't affect your vision and doesn't need treatment, it needs to be monitored more frequently than the annual eye screening in case it progresses to proliferative retinopathy. If you can continue to improve on your HbA1c, you may be able to halt the progression. If it did progress, proliferative retinopathy can be treated and, by being monitored more frequently, you can be offered treatment before any symptoms develop which is when it is most effective. An improvement in diabetic control could improve the retinopathy so much that you go back to having only background retinopathy and you could get returned to having annual screening.

Last edited:

Manormani

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

I was told yesterday I have R2 in left eye, while right remains R1.
Really pleased to hear R2 has potential to be reversed... is there any further info avail on this?

Thanks, T

Manormani

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello, haven't been on here on a very long time but I got my eye screening results back today whilst at the doctors and it states that I have R2 proliferative retinopathy in both eyes I think, but the maculopathy has cleared up, I have got to go back to be rescreened in 6 months. However my GP said that this is the stage before it starts affecting my vision....which obviously freaked me out a lot!! My Hba1c isn't great....better than the last one though it's 80 now but the depression and anxiety issues are making diabetes harder....along with struggles in daily life!
Can anyone shed some light please???
Thank you x
Am in similar boat and hate the emotional turmoil news of retinopathy progression brings.

Only just stabilised my kidneys and got rid of macular edema only to find this out.

This stuff is just terrifying and I don't I've ever given enough info when I leave the screening and all the questions flood in.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
This stuff is just terrifying and I don't I've ever given enough info when I leave the screening and all the questions flood in.

I don't know if you've seen the following website but it has a wealth of information and advice on diabetic retinopathy:

http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/Information_for_patients.html

A good tip is to write down any questions you may have when attending appointments, it can be so annoying when you come away and remember that you forgot to ask something but keeping a list helps.

Reactions: azure

Manormani

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't know if you've seen the following website but it has a wealth of information and advice on diabetic retinopathy:

http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/Information_for_patients.html

A good tip is to write down any questions you may have when attending appointments, it can be so annoying when you come away and remember that you forgot to ask something but keeping a list helps.

Thanks that is helpful. It was more that I was in shock about new R2 diagnosis and Dr said v little about what that meant. Didn't help that his student who was sitting in was advised to have a look at 'an R2' (which made me feel a little worried, but I realise the next gen need to learn of course)... however the student took so long looking with the bright light after the Dr that she knocked out my central vision for sometime and I was in a state of discomfort and irritation.
Will def have questions ready next time though. Thanks!