Type1. Tingling and Fluid sensation in hands and wrists?

NadineRoseM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello c: I am a type 1 looking for a bit of advice.

I was wondering if anyone else has ever experienced these types of sensations during sleep? I have woken up after one hour of rest, and have now been kept up most of the small hours quite concerned but also too uncomfortable to go back to sleep.

It is hard to describe the sensations exactly, but I awoke with heaviness in both arms. As I've been awake, the pain has gone into both of my hands - creating a tingling sensation, which feels quite like pins and needles with a burning sensation around my wrists. The wrists also feel like they're retraining fluid (which I know cannot be the case, but that is how it feels.)

I have never had this experience before, but due to a high reading before bed and when I checked upon awakening (16.3) I think that it is in relation to the high sugars. However, they have not been high consistently throughout the entire day, so I am unsure if this sort of reaction should be expected by such a short amount of time with a high reading :c

Could anyone spread some light on if you have experienced anything like this before?

Reactions: Kevin259
M

mist

Yep, I get this kind of thing, when I checked, my levels were 23mmol so..

Yea probably just related to that, relax, get some sleep ;)

b34 blues

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have had these problems for a few years I suffer terrible with pins and needles and numbness down both arms daytime mostly but I do get it some day times also !!

Bobbin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sounds similar to carpal tunnel syndrome. If it continues make appointment for the Dr and get yourself some wrist splints to wear at night.

Reactions: himtoo

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Sounds similar to carpal tunnel syndrome. If it continues make appointment for the Dr and get yourself some wrist splints to wear at night.
have you experienced this---- I have some nights waking with getting a feeling of my wrists and fingers "going to sleep "
but upon waking in the morning and getting up and moving about it disappears.

Bobbin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
have you experienced this---- I have some nights waking with getting a feeling of my wrists and fingers "going to sleep "
but upon waking in the morning and getting up and moving about it disappears.
Yes, I had it on and off for many years before one of my wrists got really bad and needed an operation. Would be worth mentioning next time you are at the Dr. They usually recommend wrist splints to wear at night, or during the day too if needed.

Reactions: himtoo

NadineRoseM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you everyone so much for getting back to me! Luckily it disappeared within a few days - still scary though. I have been to GP and also spoken with the diabetic nurse at my hospital, but they kept passing me back and forth with a range of explanations as to what it could be. Nurse wants me to try carb-free breakfast and monitor sugars in case it might be related to dawn phenomena, so I suppose we will see c: