Type1and thyroid trouble

Kitty24

Hi I'm new at this but was directed here as my son who is 11 yrs has type 1 and under active thyroid . He has put on 3stone in the 10mths since being diagnosed not sure how to stop him putting more weight on.

elainechi

hi. would it help if he reduced his carbs and thus his insulin too. my daughter was told eat what you like as long as you give insulin to cover food. not good to a carb addict. so now we lower carb and she eats more protein and fat and lost a few pounds. so no chips. pasta or rice or tiny portions.

qlso make sure you contact the sen co at secondary school. the best person to know when a child has special needs x

Riesenburg

Dislikes
Doctors who know less about diabetes and endocrinology than their patients.
Greetings Kitty24,

First thing I would do is ensure he is getting the thyroid problems treated, it will have a massive impact on his weight gaining and his diabetes. If memory serves me right the drug used is called T3 (chemical name is triiodothyronine), it basically replaces the hormones generated by the thyroid. Higher levels of T3 should cause fat loss in and of itself. For the diabetes side of things trying to keep the sugar levels in the normal range is best, since excess sugars are usually stored as fat. Other than that lots of exercise!

Hope that helps,
Frankie

shop

Riesenburg said:
Greetings Kitty24,

First thing I would do is ensure he is getting the thyroid problems treated, it will have a massive impact on his weight gaining and his diabetes. If memory serves me right the drug used is called T3 (chemical name is triiodothyronine), it basically replaces the hormones generated by the thyroid. Higher levels of T3 should cause fat loss in and of itself. For the diabetes side of things trying to keep the sugar levels in the normal range is best, since excess sugars are usually stored as fat. Other than that lots of exercise!

Hope that helps,
Frankie

I am T1 and am on thyroxine for an underactive thyroid, I agree with Frankie make sure he is on the right dose.

They look at your TSH, T3 and T4. It has a negative feedback. So if your TSH is low, normaly the total T4 will be high. ( Because the T4 is high the TSH responds by producing less, If the T4 is low the TSH responds by producing more so goes high ) In other words if his TSH is high and his T4 low he may need more thyroxine!

My recent check showed my TSH to be low but because my T4 is within normal range my gp is happy that I am on the right dose!

Has he dad it checked recently? Initialy I had it checked every 6mnths, now every 12 months!

Lucy xxx